• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Is the leather covered Ultravid BL still available? (1 Viewer)

Just purchased a 10x42 BL In mint condition with original leather case. Real old school looking binocular. I love them but then I am old school. Still use my 10x40 Dialyts. Far as i know they only do a 8x and a 10x

Thanks. I'm old school myself, though I love the view through my 8x42 BR's, they are a bit heavy for me. I know they only made the BLs in 8x42 and 10x42. Did they ever upgrade the optics to HD with Aquadura coatings? Last I knew they were pre HD optics.

I hoping they follow thru with the retro Trinovid 7x35, but there might be only two of us interested in them.

There is a slight but definite difference in weight between the BL and the UVHD. they are also more compact, easy to grip and to hold steady and of course their look is second to none. The eyecups are not the same.
Magnification apart, I can't find any difference while looking through the 8X42 BL and the 10X42 UVHD.
According to the booklet inside the box (current production specifications), the glass is the same as the UVHD (hd+aquadura) ;that said, you can find conflicting information about this point online.

Yes my friend. Checked Company 7 Web site. No upgrade just standard BRs. I did own a Ultravid 10x42 HD apart the slight extra wide field found the view not that much better to my eyes. As you say A nice new 7x35 BA would be superb

I have one. It is the basic 8x42 Ultravid inside.

It doesn't have Aqua Dura coatings nor does it have the Schott HT glass in its roof prisms that the Ultravid HDs have. That information is from the PDFs of both those binoculars on the current Leica Website. It is the same for the Silverline binoculars.

Even so it is still an excellent, easy to use binocular. I like the design of the eye cups. I have had no problems with blackouts or veiling glare.

Bob

Last edited:
I own one as well, it's basically a 2008 vintage Ultravid pre-HD. Not sure what upgrades the currently sold BL offers. Still great binoculars and immensely more pleasant to hold than rubber-armored binoculars. They're not that much bigger than many of the competition's 8x32.

Yes, it looks like they upgraded the optics but they also downgraded the case, it’s cordura, not hard leather any more.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back