• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A Tale of Three Swarovskis (1 Viewer)

Troubador

Staff member
Supporter
Visited a main dealer recently and overheard an interesting trade-in deal being struck.

The customer had a pre-SV EL 8.5x which he 'never used', presumably because there was something about it that he didn't like, and he was trading it in as part of a deal to buy two replacement Swaros.

Not Swarovisions but Habichts 8x30 & 10x40. Clearly he didn't mind swimming against the mainstream which greatly favours roof prism binos. But what struck me was that he found the original EL so objectionable despite it being such a lovely and inoffensive model, and it didn't sound as though the unit had any focus mechanism issues either.

Just another example of how varied are the tastes and preferences of bino users.

Lee

Last edited:
Hi Lee,

Everybody is different indeed! But what struck me in this story is that the guy needed such a long time to decide that he did not like the EL 8.5, assuming that he was the first owner.

Peter

Hi Lee,

Everybody is different indeed! But what struck me in this story is that the guy needed such a long time to decide that he did not like the EL 8.5, assuming that he was the first owner.

Peter

Yes he was the original purchaser and gave the date of purchase to the shop assistant so he could decide on the trade-in value.

Lee

That means he has needed about five years of NOT using the binos to decide he does not like them. Interesting fellow to say the least.

Regarding his choice of H 8x and 10x over the EL 8.5x the only reason I can think of is that he wanted Swaro binos in both 8x and 10x but was not willing to pay the much higher price of FP/SLC.

Last edited:
I love the slow focus mechanism on the 8.5 EL I bought in 2000. Apparently I am the only one.

They offered to replace it for the refurbishment it had recently, but did decline.

Hi Huronbay - I don't like overly fast focusers either. Most of my birding involves observing raptors at long distance and with a fast focuser it's easy to overshoot. I personally would much rather have a slow focuser that enables me to make small and precise adjustments - but in an environment where birds are closer to you and zipping back and forth it's easy to see why a fast focus would be desirable.

I respect the 8.5x42 hugely but can easily see why one would prefer having an 8x and a 10x - that's the route I have taken myself. If the gentleman Troubador overheard had grown up using porros, and especially if he did not need glasses, I can absolutely see why he might prefer to have the two Habichts. The only binocular I owned myself for several years was a fairly nondescript 10x42 Japanese porro (how things have changed, ho ho ho...) and maybe because of that, I still enjoy the view through a porro so much so that this summer I put aside my roofs and used single coated porros almost exclusively. I've found with quite a few roofs I've tried that the best IPD for sharpness and general image quality is a little narrower than the IPD I would like. Modern day Habichts have coatings that even the best 1960s era manufacturers could only dream of. They're mechanically superb, have great light transmission figures, and are now waterproof. They've got a lot going for them.

Ravens, owls & eagles pretty much round it out for me. My wife is keen on raptors. We live in the woods and support flocks of smaller birds so the 32mm gets a workout...the corporate farming practices have not been kind to song birds in the area over the years.

Bought a 7x42 Habicht in the late 90's and it still gives an excellent accounting for itself next to the latest and greatest. Interestingly, a younger sounding Swaro technician told me in 2000 that the porro technology had been surpassed--kinda like the age of the dinosaurs...wonder if he has changed his mind...:)

Modern day Habichts have coatings that even the best 1960s era manufacturers could only dream of. They're mechanically superb, have great light transmission figures, and are now waterproof. They've got a lot going for them.

Sure Do! :t:

Ted

Attachments

• Swarovski Habichts-10X40, 7X42, 8X30, 6X30.JPG
    Swarovski Habichts-10X40, 7X42, 8X30, 6X30.JPG
    654.3 KB · Views: 286
Ted,

How did you come up with a recent 6x30M? I thought those were long gone.

Has Swarovski resumed offering the 8x30W GA? I was only able to acquire one of those last year by having objectives switched between a DF 8x30W OGA and a 10x40W GA.

Henry

Ted,

How did you come up with a recent 6x30M? I thought those were long gone.

Has Swarovski resumed offering the 8x30W GA? I was only able to acquire one of those last year by having objectives switched between a DF 8x30W OGA and a 10x40W GA.

Henry

Henry,

The 6X30M is a 1991 model I procured off the bay. Had issues with the oculars, but Absam took great care of that...their optics are Superb and their overall all condition is 9.5 out of 10!

The 1999 8X30W GA was secured from a very nice gentleman here at BF (after much begging, swearing, taking out a 2nd mortgage...but eventually the Crying got to him...:-O)! Optics are Also Superb, with an overall condition of 9.9 out of 10!! ;)

Ted

FWIW...All 4 Porros have distribution roots through SONA...thus all have full transferable Lifetime Warranties...Real Sweet! :king:

Last edited:
Thanks Ted,

Sorry, I thought they were all recent production. Looks like the 6x30 and 8x30W GA are long gone.

Henry

Henry,

No problem...their condition does beg...New! Peeking at the bay now and then, I've seen other used 6X30M's come up, but never any 8X30 W GA's! :-C

The 10X40 WMGA (2015) and the 7X42 MGA (2013) were purchased New and of course, are still being produced by Absam and can be obtained (through SONA) by any North American Swarovski dealer!

Ted

Last edited:
Ted:

Thanks for posting, the Swaro. porros are very nice indeed. I find the GA armored in the 8x30 to have
better ergos than the leather version. Just more to have in your hands, and the wider GA eyecup offers
a much better larger eye contact that I prefer.

Jerry

Ted:

Thanks for posting, the Swaro. porros are very nice indeed. I find the GA armored in the 8x30 to have
better ergos than the leather version. Just more to have in your hands, and the wider GA eyecup offers
a much better larger eye contact that I prefer.

Jerry

Agreed Jerry. Before I sold the Habicht 8X30 W I had, I installed on it the GA eye cups for overall eye comfort and ease of view...worked great! However, my 1st Habicht porro, the 10X40 W GA, spoiled me so much on the ergonomics, durability and ruggedness of the GA series that I then sought the 7X42 GA and the 8x30 W GA! The little un-planned 6X30 M came along for the right price (never came in an armored GA version), thus became the stepchild of the family! ;)

Ted

Last edited:
I've posted this before but I can't walk past the Habicht 7x42 leatherette version at Bird Fair without picking it up to try. I have done this so many times I know the eyecups and ER don't work for me but its so handsome I can't resist picking it up.

Lee

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back