Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Intermittent "Secure connection failed" in Firefox

Old Wednesday 27th June 2018, 13:53   #1
Jonno52
John
BF Supporter 2018

Intermittent "Secure connection failed" in Firefox

Trying to get into BF today has been problematic. I'm using Firefox 61.0, which was released yesterday: there's no way of proving it, but it does look like the Fx update may be responsible.

But about one attempt in four does work! I'm using Firefox to (hopefully) post this, on one of the successful occasions.

Screenshot of the error message attached. I've tried disabling my add-ons, but it doesn't help. The problem does not occur in IE11 (a browser I rarely use and am not keen on).

Operating system is Windows 8.1.

So I was wondering if anyone else has got this problem. Something similar has come up very occasionally before: when I've done a web search and the results include a topic in BF, clicking on that link in the search results can produce the same error. Haven't experienced that recently, though.

I hope this makes sense. All comments welcome!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BF Firefox error 27.06.18.JPG
Views:	79
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	666988  

Last edited by Jonno52 : Wednesday 27th June 2018 at 14:00.

BF Supporter 2016 2017 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 27th June 2018, 16:24   #2
SanAngelo

I don't claim to have the solution but I have experienced this problem in the past.

What's missing is the Green Padlock Icon on the left hand side of the address bar which indicates the SSL Client Security Certificate for the birdforum. Green padlock means the site is secure, a Gray Padlock with a Red Bar across the padlock means the site is unsecured.

These security certificates, website identities are provided by the website and delivered by the server. That's my understanding as limited as it is.

From this, it appears your server is having problems obtaining the SSL data from the desire website or the server has the data and is having problems transmitting it back to you.

I suspect this will be an intermittent problem but if it continues try changing the url address from https://www.birdforum.net/opus/Welcome to https://www.birdforum.net/

Sometimes the way a site is accessed helps with this kind of problem.

Ain't much but it's all I got......
Old Thursday 28th June 2018, 18:38   #3
Jonno52
John
BF Supporter 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanAngelo View Post
I don't claim to have the solution but I have experienced this problem in the past.

What's missing is the Green Padlock Icon on the left hand side of the address bar which indicates the SSL Client Security Certificate for the birdforum. Green padlock means the site is secure, a Gray Padlock with a Red Bar across the padlock means the site is unsecured.

These security certificates, website identities are provided by the website and delivered by the server. That's my understanding as limited as it is.

From this, it appears your server is having problems obtaining the SSL data from the desire website or the server has the data and is having problems transmitting it back to you.

I suspect this will be an intermittent problem but if it continues try changing the url address from https://www.birdforum.net/opus/Welcome to https://www.birdforum.net/

Sometimes the way a site is accessed helps with this kind of problem.

Ain't much but it's all I got......
Sorry for the delay in replying. At the moment I'm experiencing eye pain (from a dry eye condition) exacerbated by looking at the laptop screen, and can't reply at any length, but wanted to say your advice is extremely helpful. Truly appreciated!

All the best

BF Supporter 2016 2017 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 28th June 2018, 19:28   #4
Andrew Rowlands

This looks like an issue where Avast or AVG is used with Firefox 61:

Quote:
Users with Avast or AVG security software using the HTTPS Scanning feature may get an error message (SSL_ERROR_RX_RECORD_TOO_LONG) when trying to access secure sites. Workarounds are available from this support article until fixed versions of Avast and AVG are available
Some AV browser extensions intercept the initial direct secure communication with the site you're trying to reach and try to 'protect' you (how dare you trust your browser... ), they try to sell this as a 'feature' but it's just something else to go wrong imo.

BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 28th June 2018, 21:11   #5
Adey Baker

I've got AVG and the workaround seems to have cleared the problem

BF Supporter 2005 2006 2007 2009 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 29th June 2018, 01:10   #6
SanAngelo

I'm glad for ya.....it's been years since I used a 3rd party antivirus, I missed the obvious.
Old Friday 29th June 2018, 19:14   #7
RecoveringScot

I knew it couldn't be the website(s) as a site with an 'invalid cert' at one point suddenly acquired a OK one seconds later (opening a new tab would solve it). Haven't had the problem today.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: