• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding lens. (1 Viewer)

YouriB

Hello, I'm a 15 year old photographer from Bellevue, Washington, I am a landscape and street photographer, but in the past when I had a Canon system I used to go birding. I miss it and I'm just about to buy myself my first good telephoto lens. I really love the nikon 600mm f5.6 (manual focus). I know it's not an ideal lens for birds in flight, but I have heard that it produces amazing images that are almost as good as the vr version worth 6x+ the price. Unfortunately at my age I cannot afford an auto focusing version. I shoot using a d800, and would love to hear your opinion on what lens I should get. I did consider a 300mm f2.8 mf as well which I could use the modified nikon tc-16a with which would make the lens semi-af. The only problem is the reach... i also considered the nikon 200-500 and the sigma 150-600 and have heard that the images are pretty soft and lack contrast at their maximum focal lengths. Anyways, if anyone could give me any feedback or recommendations I would greatly appreciate it. Btw my budget is around 1.5k.
Thank you so much for your time,
Youri Babakoff.

I actually think the Sigma 150-600 Contemporary or the Nikon 200-500 are your best bets on a D800 with that budget. The Sigma would be my preference, but they're both very sharp. See my comments and comparison shots from this post:

http://www.birdforum.net/showpost.php?p=3374693&postcount=77

I'll add that I think they're optically better than the old MF Nikon primes, and much easier to use. I used to shoot with a manual focus 400mm f/3.5, and also used it with a TC-16A for semi-AF as you noted. It was pretty good as a bare MF lens, but lost a lot of image quality with the TC-16A. I sold it long before I got a chance to compare it to the Sigma 150-600, but the Sigma is a much sharper lens.

Also, many of the recent photos in my Flickr photostream (link in my profile) were taken using the 150-600mm Contemporary and with the D810 or D5500. I also have some shots with my 500mm f/4D AF-S II there for comparison; that lens is slightly sharper, and has slightly faster focusing speed, but the difference is very small.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back