• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Camera strap recommendations please (1 Viewer)

Epsomsalt

I have a Nikon D700 with the Afs 300 F4. I find my neck is sore using the standard Nikon strap. Any recommendations??

Thanks
Chris

Don't hang the camera around your neck, sling it over one arm to the side.
That way your shoulder carries the load and can still just grab and shoot.

Good but pricey strap versions from Black Rapid and Really Right Stuff.
Budget constrained buyers may go for Optec.
Cheapskates buy the Ape Case Pro strap, $12.99 on Amazon. Works really well.

Last edited:
A sling strap is a good idea and I use one with my Canon Rebel and Sigma 100-300 f/4 lens. I use a Case Logic DCS-101 Sling (this) that is well made, comfortable and allows quick access to shooting position. It is also much cheaper than the popular Black Rapid straps.

Last edited:
Hi,

I would have a look at 'Peak Design'. I have one boy their straps. It is excellent in every way.

My camera plus lens does not bounce as I walk.

My girlfriend and I are Black Rapid fans for all our cameras. Money well spent and oh so much easier on the neck (we both have various neck injury issues). Also compatible with some tripod plates.

The other way to go about it for heavier cameras or lots of gear and cameras is the Cotton Carrier system.

My wife and I were Black Rapid users up until last week. Walking around on Alcatraz, the tripod socket screw somehow worked its way loose, and her Canon 10x42 IS binoculars fell 2-3 feet onto concrete, knocking the elements out of alignment and resulting in a $170 repair. We thought we'd tightened the screw down hard, but it loosened without warning. I had my D500 on another Black Rapid strap, and needless to say I spent the rest of the day checking its tripod socket connection regularly. We're now switching to Cotton Carriers with their safety tethers.

For the record, I've used Black Rapid straps for about 4-5 years, and love the weight distribution and handling of the sling design. I continued to use it even after it dropped my D7000 and lens a couple years ago (a different failure point: the carabiner screw had worked itself loose at some point, which was apparently enough of a problem that they now supply the lockstar plastic clip to prevent this). But two incidents of dropped gear is enough.

Even though it would slow down handling a bit, I do wish they'd add a safety tether, e.g., a loop to one of the strap points. As it is now, 99 percent of the time the Black Rapid works great. It's just that the 1 percent of the time it doesn't, it results in gear falling to the ground.

My wife and I were Black Rapid users up until last week. Walking around on Alcatraz, the tripod socket screw somehow worked its way loose, and her Canon 10x42 IS binoculars fell 2-3 feet onto concrete, knocking the elements out of alignment and resulting in a $170 repair. .

Could you please add a bit more color re the Canon repair, such as who did it, how long did it take and are you pleased with the work?
There is so little data available regarding Canon service for IS binoculars that your experience is quite valuable input.

Could you please add a bit more color re the Canon repair, such as who did it, how long did it take and are you pleased with the work?
There is so little data available regarding Canon service for IS binoculars that your experience is quite valuable input.

Happy to do so. I sent the binoculars to Canon's Costa Mesa repair center. I just approved the repair quote today, so I'll provide ongoing updates on how long it takes to get them fixed, and how well the repair goes when I get them back. Definitely hoping to get them back before we go to the Galapagos in July, as that was the original reason for getting them!

Even though it would slow down handling a bit, I do wish they'd [BlackRapid] add a safety tether, e.g., a loop to one of the strap points.
BlackRapid does have a safety tether kit (here), and we have it on both our setups after reading a small number of reviews with the issue you pointed out.

We decided better safe than sorry, it only adds a few more seconds to attaching the camera, and doesn't affect the handling at all.

BlackRapid does have a safety tether kit (here), and we have it on both our setups after reading a small number of reviews with the issue you pointed out.

We decided better safe than sorry, it only adds a few more seconds to attaching the camera, and doesn't affect the handling at all.

Thanks for pointing that out. Somehow I hadn't seen their tether before in retail stores, but that does make the strap a lot safer to use. Since our Cotton Carriers also came with safety tethers, I might consider using them with the Black Rapid, as it looks like they'll probably fit just fine.

Happy to do so. I sent the binoculars to Canon's Costa Mesa repair center. I just approved the repair quote today, so I'll provide ongoing updates on how long it takes to get them fixed, and how well the repair goes when I get them back. Definitely hoping to get them back before we go to the Galapagos in July, as that was the original reason for getting them!

Thank you! I'll stay tuned, hoping that the repairs are a complete success.

I always use BOSSTRAP. So comfortable. And Your Tripod Socket is Always Available.

http://bosstrap.com/

His strap is so smooth and comfortable like your car belt.

Give it a try and you'll love it.

Given the considerable weight of a dSLR with a longish lens I wouldn't want to have it attached to a single lug on the camera body. The tripod attachment on body or even better lens makes a more load-bearing impression. Also don't like the idea of a smallish size plastic fastex buckle linking the rig to the strap.....

My $0.02

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back