• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Quite a visitor! (1 Viewer)

Fozzybear

Ich bin ein Vogelbeobachter
Having left my back door open this evening I went down to close it and then when I put on the kitchen light this big moth flew around! I think it's an 'Old Lady', around 4-5cm across at the rear. Smaller than the hawk moths I've seen but certainly the biggest I've had in my house!

I used a torch to guide it out the door, no moths were harmed in the making of this post. ;)

Attachments

• DSC_8768 LR BF.jpg
    DSC_8768 LR BF.jpg
    223.3 KB · Views: 67
  • DSC_8770 LR BF.jpg
    DSC_8770 LR BF.jpg
    239.1 KB · Views: 51
Thanks Dave. When I first saw it it was silhouetted and at first I thought it was another Peacock butterfly (had one in the kitchen recently) but when it landed on the glass I realised it was very different. I knew I'd have to try to get a photo and dashed around the house looking for my camera and for my macro lens! |:D|

Just over the last week or so I've had a Peacock butterfly, an Old Lady and a Banded Demoiselle in my kitchen. Plus a Collared Dove that pretty much comes in the door and earlier in the summer I used to have a Robin flying into the kitchen and perching on the worktop begging for suet pellets! Seems a popular kitchen for wildlife! :-O

Wow, that's pretty cool. I've seen some BIG moths around here (saw a huge one in a pedestrian underpass a few weeks ago) but don't know names of moths, all I remember is that it was quite a few inches across! We had one like that on my parent's shed when I was a kid and I was amazed at the size, still am with these big'uns, just asonishing how big they can be!

Very nice and yes, they're big beasts.

I got into work one day lat week to find a client had brought a 'bat' into the surgery which she'd found in her kitchen apparently injured. The nurses were struggling to persuade her it was a moth and I had to ID it for her as a Poplar Hawk to convince her it wasn't a Pipistrelle!

But it's big and furry - it MUST be a bat!

Noticed your 'bat' ;) tally - 373 is a a lot of species! I know there are a lot but just identifying that many is quite impressive... takes me ages to ID just one!

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back