• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Moth for I.d (1 Viewer)

I struggle with these but I would have said Willow Beauty. If you look at the underside of the forewing tip, the Willow Beauty has a pale square which you can occasionally see through the forewing on a worn individual and I think that I can see that on the left wing.

All the best

I struggle with these but I would have said Willow Beauty. If you look at the underside of the forewing tip, the Willow Beauty has a pale square which you can occasionally see through the forewing on a worn individual and I think that I can see that on the left wing.

All the best

Especially as this is a worn individual, I'd say that the dark patches toward the leading edge on the forewings are far too bold for WB?

A

On reflection, actually looking at the shape of the cross lines, I'd agree with Rosaria and Andy on Mottled Beauty.

All the best

I take your points Andy and Paul, but the gentle curves in the outer cross line with no sharp angle, and it not coming close to the inner cross line near the trailing edge or darkening at that point, both suggest Mottled to me.

Rose

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back