• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

second hand kowas (1 Viewer)

Dmacaskill

i want to get a bigger scope and have seen two online,TSN821+32eyepiece at £600. and TSN820 SV+30 eyepiece at £750.would like to hear from anyone who has used either and which is best.

i want to get a bigger scope and have seen two online,TSN821+32eyepiece at £600. and TSN820 SV+30 eyepiece at £750.would like to hear from anyone who has used either and which is best.

I owned a 821 for a while. It was great whilst the light was good, but it was not so great at dawn and dusk. So i part-ex'd it for a 2nd hand Apo Leica 77mm. That was over 7 years ago and I've seen no reason to change since.
You pays your money and you takes your choice etc :) but i'd recommend a scope with a ED/HD/whatever they are called nowadays lens over a standard lens scope. It's when you need to define that distant sighting that really matters and I'm afraid my old Kowa could not resolve far off SEO's at the Nene Washes at dusk that did for it. Who needs to be frustrated by gauzy imaging when you are out to enjoy whatever you can see? Not I said me! :)

dave...

The 821 is overpriced. You can get an 823/824 fluorite scope used for that price. Neither of the scopes you mention have fluorite lenses. The sv scope can take current Kowa eyepieces so would be better.

Someone is selling a used 823 with 32x and 50x for £650 I think here on BF. A bit high as retail used they go for about £600 with a 32x eyepiece only. It does include a case though.

Nev

Thanks guys for the info,i put in a bid for the scope mentioned above and bought it.It arrived today ,i set it up and was watching ravens and peregrine interacting from my living room.cheers for helping me make up my mind.:t:

Thanks guys for the info,i put in a bid for the scope mentioned above and bought it.It arrived today ,i set it up and was watching ravens and peregrine interacting from my living room.cheers for helping me make up my mind.:t:

Wow! Do you mind if I come and stay? ;)

The optics are first rate in that scope, I've got the straight version and can honestly say I don't need/want to change it.

Hi,
For your information, I just bought a second hand Kowa TSN 823 Prominar Fluorite fully multicoated lenses at 400€ (approx 350£) including a 20-60 zoom, and cordura.....but without user manual, particularly for lense cleaning.
Who can give me a copy of this manual? Or where to find it? (even a 822 or 821 manual will be welcome!!!).

Thanks in advance
Regards
Yves

Last edited:
Hi,
For your information, I just bought a second hand Kowa TSN 823 Prominar Fluorite fully multicoated lenses at 400€ (approx 350£) including a 20-60 zoom, and cordura.....but without user manual, particularly for lense cleaning.
Who can give me a copy of this manual? Or where to find it? (even a 822 or 821 manual will be welcome!!!).

Thanks in advance
Regards
Yves

I'd be surprised if you can't get the manual off the net somewhere, I recently bought a Sony digital camera at a very good price, the downside was no manual, I just went on Google and did a search on the make and model, 5 mins later I'd downloaded the manual. Not saying it will be as easy for a Kowa scope, but worth a try.

There are no special precautions to take. The Flourite element is behind regular crown glass element. Clean it as you would any other scope.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back