• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

500mm f4 soft lens case (1 Viewer)

Eos9

United Kingdom
I am currently looking to purchase a soft lens case for a Canon 500mm f4 lens (maybe with 1.4x extender) and would appreciate any feedback who might manufacture one or where to get one at a reasonable price.
In the past I have used Lowepro cases but I'm not entirely sure if they do one suitable for the 500mm lens as I can't see one listed.
I'm open to any make but would prefer one that has lugs for a shoulder strap and offers a degree of weather proofing as I will need to occasionally carry it on small boats etc.
Any recommendations much appreciated.

Thanks

I have an APE ACPROLC 18 large case for my Tamron 150-600, and having just measured it internally, it might just fit your 500 f4.

There are some good ruck sacks that take large lenses and at a fair price too check Tesco or that type of store .

Rob.

Another vote for the Lowepro Lens Trekker 600. Mine is a Mk1 version and will take the 300 F2.8 (hood forward), 500 F4, 600 F4 or my 800 F5.6 L IS all with a 1 series body attached.
It's pretty comfortable and light - important with these large lenses!

The Lens Trekker is a big bag...too big for hold baggage on a plane. I take mine abroad at least once or twice a year so it's important to me to have an acceptable size bag to take with me. I use a Think Tank Antedote. It just takes the 500mm but without anything attached. I guess it's a personal thing why anyone wants to be able to carry the lens with TC and or body attached. I'd like to know why but I can only guess that it's either for fear of dust when attaching gear in the great outdoors or for speed of use. If it's the latter I just feel it's not going to make that much difference in the grand scheme of things particularly as I assemble my gear on arrival if it's not already just on the back seat of the car and then I carry it separately from my bag which might just have a few lighter things in it like cards, battery, another lens, bins etc. Camera and lens are either tripod mounted over my shoulder or each carried by hand .
As for waterproofing. I do carry a bin bag to put over the whole camera tripod set up just in case I get caught out, the bag has it's own rather awkward to attach and keep on as you walk rainproof cover.
Bags are silly prices so it's important to make the right choice. The Think Tank bags are well made and comfortable to wear and carry heavy loads too.

Another vote for the Lowepro Lens Trekker 600. Mine is a Mk1 version and will take the 300 F2.8 (hood forward), 500 F4, 600 F4 or my 800 F5.6 L IS all with a 1 series body attached.
It's pretty comfortable and light - important with these large lenses!

That reminded me to add a 600AW to my sale :t:
I always found it to be a good case for the basics, for when the big Phototrekker AWII was overkill, and of course (ok after a bit of hood fiddling) you're ready to go with the camera body already attached.

I am currently looking to purchase a soft lens case for a Canon 500mm f4 lens (maybe with 1.4x extender) and would appreciate any feedback who might manufacture one or where to get one at a reasonable price.
Thanks

I carry mine in a Lowepro Flipside 300 with both 1.4x and 2x extenders (in their own cases) tucked between the lens and inner case walls. I carry my camera separately. It's a comfortable carry, and I suspect adequately weatherproofed for splashing, but not dunking.

I later bought the Flipside 400, but found that it doesn't fit in this nominally larger case - because the walls of the 400 seem to be thicker, and stiffer, and don't flex adequately. (I imagine that it might be OK in a well used 400.)

(At one time I investigated the Think-Tank Glass Taxi, but could never find a dealer who had one in stock - despite what their websites claimed.)

I too have the Lens Trekker 600 for my 500mm (for 'domestic use', I need to invest in something for international travel). I like the fact it'll take my camera plus 500 plus hood in shooting position, meaning you can start shooting without having to mess around with the hood. The downside is that it's a pretty terrible bag for carrying anything in additional . The front pouch is unnecessarily small and tight; I can just about squeeze in my pocket bins and a 1.4x but it's a squeeze. It's really poor design by Lowepro. Manfrotto do a TLB-600 that has a much better design, with a front-section that is actually useful. The downside is it's much too short to take a hood-ready 500.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back