• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kowa 773 or 883? (1 Viewer)

crumpman

I have a Opticron MM3 50, and have been researching a big scope. I am 85% sold on Kowa. Why should I get the 883 verses the 773? What would be a good tripod for these? Travel friendly is important to me.

The 883 has 11% better resolving power, is brighter and has less chromatic aberration due to pure fluorite chrystal lens element in the objective. The price, size and weight differences are not big enough to tip the scales in my opinion.

For a tripod, check the tripod threads for recommendations on suitable carbon fibre tripods. It is better to err on the side of stability rather than ultimate light weight or portability.

Kimmo

Hello, we tried the 883 crystal clear images in all conditions and we never had AC, even with the 1.6 diplicatore mounted at 90x excellent sharpness.
Giorgio

If you're buying new then I don't think the 773 is cheap enough in relation to the 883 to justify getting the smaller model. If you're also considering 2nd-hand though then another much-cheaper contender would be to get an 823 (particularly the 823M model if you can) if you can find one, as optically these are excellent full-flourite scopes (the zoom eyepiece options are not as good as the 25-60x on the new models, although the fixed 32x eyepiece is great, in my opinion).

But yes, if you can afford it then go for the 883!

(I guess for travel friendliness the 883 is a big scope; another option would be to look at the 663; I have one of these and it's excellent with the fixed 30x eyepiece and very portable for travel and long walks...)

But yes, if you can afford it then go for the 883!

(I guess for travel friendliness the 883 is a big scope; another option would be to look at the 663; I have one of these and it's excellent with the fixed 30x eyepiece and very portable for travel and long walks...)

I fully agree even the 663 is a good spotting light and beautiful crisp clearly not to dell'883 levels but also costs the half, I have the 663m to the 30x zoom and the 20x60 I am fine. Good evening. :) Giorgio

The 883 has 11% better resolving power, is brighter and has less chromatic aberration due to pure fluorite chrystal lens element in the objective. The price, size and weight differences are not big enough to tip the scales in my opinion.

I agree in the resolution and brighter image due to larger exit pupil, but I think the advantage of fluorite in the 880 series vs ED glass in the 770 is offset by the faster focal ratio of f5.8 vs f6.6 and the 11mm more aperture - both will increase CA.

The problem with the 773 is the pricing and the weight difference - it's not a lot cheaper than the 883 and the weight difference is 200g which is not a lot when compared to 4kg or so for scope, EP tripod & head...

Joachim

If there's noticeable CA in the Kowa 883 I've yet to find it and I've looked at more than a few white structures in my futile search. It's the cleanest image available.

Joachim,

It is, admittedly, quite a long time since I last viewed with a 773. That was when both that model and the 883 were first introduced, and I had both on loan for testing them and writing a review. The 883 is almost free of CA, while the 773 had some. As I recall, the 773 was like most other "ED" scopes in this regard, and had more CA than my then reference the Nikon ED 82 A, and significantly more than the 883.

So although your argument makes sense from a theoretical standpoint, in actual fact the advantage of fluorite seems to be greater than the drawbacks coming from larger aperture and faster focal ratio, at least in these two scopes.

Kimmo

Just an update. I am now the happy owner of a Kowa 883 with the 25-60 wide lens. I was able to test drive the Kowa and Swarovski 80 side-by-side the the Biggest Week in American Birding. My wife and I both liked the Kowa better. I also got to borrow a Canon 80 with a 70-300 lens. My wife has given me the go for a new camera. I am looking at the Canon and the Sony 6300. Any camera thoughts?

Just an update. I am now the happy owner of a Kowa 883 with the 25-60 wide lens. I was able to test drive the Kowa and Swarovski 80 side-by-side the the Biggest Week in American Birding. My wife and I both liked the Kowa better. I also got to borrow a Canon 80 with a 70-300 lens. My wife has given me the go for a new camera. I am looking at the Canon and the Sony 6300. Any camera thoughts?

You might want to look at the Sony A77ii, which has a very good auto focus system and good reports for birds in flight.

http://cameradecision.com/compare/Canon-EOS-80D-vs-Sony-SLT-A77-II

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back