Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
More discoveries. NEW: Zeiss Victory SF 32

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Closeout spotter for $39.99!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Friday 18th December 2015, 01:38   #51
FrankD

Tero,

Just noticed your Minox link. My opinion, you are better off with the Bresser optically and mechanically. I owned the little Minox at one point and remember the image quality really suffering as you moved up the zoom range, sharpness in particular, plus the focus was overly stiff.

If you were on the lookout for an inexpensive 50 mm scope then I would suggest the Barska Naturescape ED 50mm. Surprisingly good for the $150 or so that it sells for.

http://www.adorama.com/ba123650n.html
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAf...1LMvsLF0DExoog

Last edited by FrankD : Friday 18th December 2015 at 01:45.
Old Friday 18th December 2015, 03:14   #52
Tero
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankD View Post
Tero,

I wish your son luck with the temporary position. He is fairly close to where I live, at least in comparison to where you reside. :-)
He was in Baltimore teaching 3rd grade when that whole mess hit Baltimore. His school closed in May and he quit.

Maryland is close to the shores. If he stays there long enough (girl friend) I'll go visit Cape May with him some fall. He can drive, I can't stand big city traffic anymore. Omaha is an adventure already.

BF Supporter 2005 2006 2007 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 18th December 2015, 08:59   #53
mooreorless

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen b View Post
I ordered one of these little spotters ( thanks Frank for the heads up on the deal! ) and it arrived today. Got a chance to open it up after dark and it certainly looks like a decent scope for the price. Actually about what I expected. Build quality is not quite as robust as an older Alpen 728 ( also 15-45x60) that I have. But for $40 I think this little scope is a steal. I will get a chance to further check it out this weekend. I am not expecting it to compete great with with my Nikon ED III, but I hope that it competes close to the Alpen 728.

I am wanting to give this scope to my Son in Law's Father for a Christmas present and want it to at least be a decent scope. I am sure it will fulfill his needs.

** quick question from those who have received this scope- has anyone else noticed that when you tighten up the screw for the rotating collar that it also makes the focus very stiff. And if you tighten up the screw really tight you can hardly move the focus knob.

Hi Stephen,

I just tried my Bresser spotter and I did not notice any or much difference in the focuser. I did notice when I first got this scope that there seems a small indent for the lock screw when in "normal" position . I did not tighten the knob real tight, but did try a little more than normal for me with no problem.
Old Friday 18th December 2015, 12:13   #54
tommybj

I've got both the Alpen 728 and now the Bresser Spektar and for a glass wearer the Bresser is a much better scope. I haven't been able to use the Bresser outside yet but it has a better eye piece and a much brighter image. Maybe its because the Alpen has a shorter eye relief than the Bresser but I get a much more pleasant image with the Bresser.

I have no problem with tightening the screw for the collar and the focus, it stays the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen b View Post
I ordered one of these little spotters ( thanks Frank for the heads up on the deal! ) and it arrived today. Got a chance to open it up after dark and it certainly looks like a decent scope for the price. Actually about what I expected. Build quality is not quite as robust as an older Alpen 728 ( also 15-45x60) that I have. But for $40 I think this little scope is a steal. I will get a chance to further check it out this weekend. I am not expecting it to compete great with with my Nikon ED III, but I hope that it competes close to the Alpen 728.

I am wanting to give this scope to my Son in Law's Father for a Christmas present and want it to at least be a decent scope. I am sure it will fulfill his needs.

** quick question from those who have received this scope- has anyone else noticed that when you tighten up the screw for the rotating collar that it also makes the focus very stiff. And if you tighten up the screw really tight you can hardly move the focus knob.
Old Friday 18th December 2015, 13:58   #55
FrankD

Just an FYI, I ordered the Brunton tripod via Amazon. It says it won't be delivered until after Christmas so it may be a bit before I report back. This may be as good of a deal as the scope considering the original price. I checked out the seller's website and it appears as though if you order two or more then they knock an additional $10 off of the cost of each tripod so that would put the price at $39.99 per tripod. Free shipping too.

https://www.botach.com/brunton-f-tpo...m_source=yotpo

Last edited by FrankD : Friday 18th December 2015 at 14:57.
Old Friday 18th December 2015, 15:40   #56
SteveTS

Thumbs up

Best of the deals seem to be Stateside this Christmas.

Best wishes,
Old Friday 18th December 2015, 18:18   #57
stephen b

Steve and Tommy-

Thanks for addressing the tightening screw for the collar on your samples.

Well... Mine is definitely a bit different. The reason I even noticed it was when I got mine the screw for the collar was quite loose ( was not tightened down much at all ) and when I was first checking out the spotter the body started rotating in the collar. So, then I noticed the screw was loose and I simply tightened it down; not too tight, just firm enough to have collar snug. It was right after that when I went back to use the focus knob I noticed it had stiffened up quite a bit. I thought that that was a bit odd. So- I went back to the collar screw and loosened it up quite a bit and then went back to focuser and sure enough it loosened up.

I definitely thought this was odd, because I thought there should not be a mechanical situation ( at least not a normal one) in which tightening up a rotating collar screw would have an effect on the focus mechanism. So I started to play with the two a bit. And I found there was a point where when tightning up the collar screw that it started to have an effect on focus tension. Then, when tightened a bit more, the focus tension increased a bit more. To finally when the screw on the collar is hand tightened quite tight- the focus knob is just about locked up. Now, there is a point where I can tighten up the collar screw where it holds the body in place and focus is OK, but there is still quite a bit more of tightening left to accomplish with the collar screw- ie, it is not real tight. Anything beyond that point affects the focus tension. Quite odd! Disappointed in getting a possible lemon- although not surprising with QC out of China made optics. Made more disappointing because this was to be a gift. Does not seem worth even shipping cost ( for a $40 spotter) to send it back and pay for shipping. Oh well.

I also did not like the fact that you could not rotated the body to the same degree on both sides because the focus knob gets in the way on one side. So on that side you can not get the body to a horizontal position.
Old Saturday 19th December 2015, 08:16   #58
mooreorless

Stephen I did not try to turn my Bresser much at all after loosening the lock screw, I noticed there seems to be a slight indent on mine where I stopped and tightened the screw[normal position]. I would try tightening the screw more, but I am leaving well enough alone just in case.
Old Tuesday 22nd December 2015, 22:19   #59
FrankD

Did anyone else get their spotter? Jerry? Comments?
Old Tuesday 22nd December 2015, 22:53   #60
ptickner

I got mine today, but it is 30 f and a mix of rain and snow, so it may be a little while before I get to test it. At first glance it looks quite well put together for $40.
Old Wednesday 23rd December 2015, 14:25   #61
FrankD

I look forward to seeing further comments once you get it out in good weather ptickner.
Old Thursday 24th December 2015, 00:59   #62
NDhunter

Frank:

I got mine a few days ago, and I have not had it outside yet. Been busy, and snowy here.
I have done some viewing from indoors. The quality seems good, and it focuses nicely.

I also find it a good value for the price. I will probably gift it to one of my grandkids some
day. My comparison was with a Nikon FS III, and that is in a different class.

Jerry
Old Thursday 24th December 2015, 19:36   #63
FrankD

Thanks for posting your comments/experiences gentlemen. I wanted to comment further about the tripod I ordered to go with this scope. I will copy/paste what I posted over in the binocular bargains thread.

The Brunton aluminum tripod I linked and posted about earlier in this thread arrived today. Two thumbs up from my limited inspection of it so far. Is it a Bogen- Manfrotto? No, not quite but it is infinitely better than the cheap digital camera tripods at or below the price point these are now discounted to. I took a couple of pics with an 82 mm scope mounted on it and next to a Bogen-Manfrotto 3001 BN leg/3130 head combo so you have a reference of the size. At my 6'4" height I could just barely peek into the scope with the legs fully extended. This is definitely a tripod that will work with tall individuals. Very stable and the movement of the pan and tilt head is smooth/fluid. Pics are too large to post here so I uploaded them to my Flickr account. Links below:

https://flic.kr/p/BwTGTf

https://flic.kr/p/Cupso4

https://flic.kr/p/CjQDn5

https://flic.kr/p/BVUb9V
Old Friday 25th December 2015, 17:06   #64
BruceH
BF Supporter 2020

Quote:
I look forward to seeing further comments ..............
My Bresser Spektar 15-45X60 spotting scope arrived a week or so ago (delivered by the brown truck) and it turned out to be a great buy. Thanks Frank!

For that price, one would expect the cheap plastic lens junk found in a department store to use as a Christmas Season stocking stuffer. This not the case at all for this Besser. It is the real deal, just on a lesser scale than the expensive stuff.

I compared it with a Zen-Ray Prime 25-50X82 spotting scope. As one would expect, the Zen-Ray wins in all areas to varying degrees but at the cost of more size, more weight and a much higher price (currently listed by Cameraland at $1,300).

Build Quality: In one word, solid, and way above the price point. The armor fits well and has a feel and look in line with other non alpha products. The mechanics work as expected, but slightly on the stiff side. The zoom and focus are a little stiff but not to the point where adjusting them moves the scope off the aim point when on a tripod. The lens hood and collar rotating ring work as expected without the problems as described in a couple of other posts. Overall, the optics look clean with only a couple of very small specs.

The focus adjustment is just one speed compared to many scopes that have a fast and fine adjustment mechanism. I think the speed used is a good compromise. It is fast enough to go between distance extremes without having to turn and turn and turn, yet it is still slow enough to get a sharp focus without a lot of hunting. I think the stiffness actually helps in reducing over shooting the fine focus point.

A comment was made above about the ring at the base of the eye piece. Turning it counter clockwise allows the eye piece to be unthreaded from the body. Once off, the eye piece rotates within the ring. The machining of the threads was fine and I had no trouble in getting the eye piece back on. Since the eye piece rotates within the ring, center the red dot showing the power setting just before finally tightening the ring. It is best to have it off about 10 degrees before tightening the last little bit and the dot will align right in place. I took a look inside the body with eye piece removed and did not see anything unusual (for an non expert like me).

Optics and the View: The scope does not have quite the brightness and contrast of the Zen-Ray, but it is more than adequate. Sharpness is good, but does fall off toward the edges, to some degree and that is more noticeable at higher powers. I had no problem distinguishing and enjoying the fine feather detail on close birds dining on some feeders. Color balance is close to neutral, much more so than many optics at the lower price points. The photos posted by Frank demonstrate that it does provide a legitimate view.

The view holds up well through most of the power range. I start to become consciously aware of a drop off in the view somewhere between 35 and 40X. I suspect most of my viewing will be done at 40X or below, but 45X is still usable if that last bit of magnification is needed.

Eye Relief: The eye-relief is fine throughout the full power range when viewing without eye glasses. However that is not the case with glasses on. I suspect most will be able to see the full view at the lowest power but not at full zoom when wearing glasses. The eye piece has an eye cup that turns out and is rubber coated on the edges. I have it turned all the way out at lower power without glasses and turned halfway in at full power. However, at full power with glasses and with the eye cup turned all the way in, I am unable to get the full view.

Other Comments: The scope comes with a nice nylon case with snap on rings for an included shoulder strap. The case should do a good job in protecting the body. There is a long zipper opening on the side to allow for the removal of the case. Once you figure out how the case goes on and off, it is not that difficult to do. My only complaint is the case is loose and does get in the way of operating the focus knob on the side. I suspect over time I will adjust to it.

I am not a big scope person and in a way, consider them a necessary evil when more detail is desired. I find them heavy, ackward, and time consuming to set up and use. Scopes to me do not add to the aesthetics of a view as do binoculars, such as a Nikon 8X30 EII. This is true for the Besser. However, it does a good job in providing that detail to id a target or to enjoy the detail of something close range such as the feather patterns of birds on a near by feeder. It provides a good quality center view that gets the job done, but not at quite the same level of a $1,000 plus scope.

My primary use for this scope will be to keep it in the rear seat of the truck and pull it out for long range id's, primarily ducks on the far edges of ponds that I view in the Arizona high country during the summer. The small size and light weight should be a good fit for my application. I suspect I will also carry it on short walks for some of the long range viewing areas.

If I did not know the price and someone said it was in the $300 to $400 price range, I would accept that. At $39, it is an absolute steal! Again, thanks Frank for taking the risk in purchasing the first one and then sharing your find with the rest of us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceH View Post
Frank - How do you think it would work with a monopod with the zoom set at about 20 to 25 power? Seeing it is s small light weight scope, the smaller size and weight of a monopod may be a good combination for when the goal is to get a short look at something.
As mentioned above in the first part of this post, I sometimes like to use a scope for long range spotting of ducks on the various ponds during summer mountain trips.. The Zen-Ray does a great job, but it is rather time consuming and a pain to set it up multiple times when going from pond to pond. My plan for the small light weight Besser is use it on a monopod so that I can quickly get it set up and make the id.

Below is a photo of the Besser on an inexpensive monopod from Cabelas's. I have been playing around with it at the house for the last few days and it seems to work just fine.

There is beauty in simplicity. The pole screws directly to the base of the scope. There is no moving head unit. Setup is just a quick full extension of the lower two leg sections and about a 2 inch extension of the top leg section. The exact amount for the top section will vary depending on the height of the user. Actually, the top extension of a couple of inches can be left as is to eliminate one step.

There is no moving head unit so aiming the scope is as simple as changing the angle of the pole by moving back a step or so to aim higher or moving forward a step or two to aim lower. Changes to the left or right is done by just turning the pole. Everything pivots on the foot of the pole resting on the ground. Simple!

The view is fairly steady for me up to around 30-35X power on good solid level ground. Steadiness is similar to to that of a 10X - 12X binocular at that power. It is still usable at full zoom, but it takes more concentration and effort to hold steady.

The length of the assembly from the foot of the pole to the top of the body is about 25 1/2 inches (62.2 cm) and total weight of the scope, pole and case is about 3 lb 7 oz. (1560 grams). The small size and light weight of the complete package is such that I intend to keep it assembled when storing it on the rear seat of the truck and when carrying it in the field.

One change I would like to make is to add a gripping foam shoulder pad to the shoulder strap. I need to check out Op-Tech to see what they offer.

So far, all looks good. I guess I will find out next summer if everything works out as expected.

Here is a link to the pole on the Cabelas's web site (currently backordered)......

http://www.cabelas.com/product/cabel...ts&Ntt=cab-100

I bought mine on sale a year or so ago for around $11. The "V" rest piece (as shown in the Cabelas's picture) on top of the pole screws off exposing the screw to attach to the base of the scope.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2322 Resized.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	367.8 KB
ID:	568202  
(The Yin Yang of the Binocular Forum)

BF Supporter 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Saturday 26th December 2015, 17:37   #65
socalmonstermr5

Hi All,
I have the new plate and they do fit but don't lock in tight. the ones that come with the
tripod fit. check out the bottom of the plate were the notch line up. the plate will not move
I have put electrical tape around the new plate that help to keep it in place., that's why
I'm buying one more carbon tripod. Brunton will send you plates for free but there metal
and will slip if you don't put something around the plate, I did buy the one from Botach
that a good deal. was thinking of buying the aluminum one just for one more plate
still thinking, thinking thinking.
Old Saturday 26th December 2015, 19:41   #66
BruceH
BF Supporter 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalmonstermr5 View Post
Hi All,
I have the new plate and they do fit but don't lock in tight. the ones that come with the
tripod fit. ............. Brunton will send you plates for free but there metal
and will slip if you don't put something around the plate, ........
By "new plate" are you referring to the replacements made by Manfrotto?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...ing_Plate.html

Also I take it from your post that Brunton supplies a plate with the tri-pod, but it is different than the plate they will send separately if asked.

In otherwords, are we talking about three different plates?
- The one supplied with the tri-pod.
- The one made by Manfrotto.
- A replacement plate supplied separately from Brunton that differs from the one that came with the tripod.

Thanks.

Old Sunday 27th December 2015, 17:55   #67
socalmonstermr5

The one that Brunton sent me is the same as Manfrotto, the one that came with the tripod
has the bottom notch that holds the plate. I will take picture of the bottom of plate to show
the different, I'm at work now. I will try to get them up tomorrow.
Old Sunday 27th December 2015, 20:12   #68
FrankD

I just tried my Bogen-Manfrotto plate in the Brunton tripod. It easily fit in the slot and locked down completely when I turned the lock down lever.
Old Sunday 27th December 2015, 21:10   #69
socalmonstermr5

The one plate that come with the tripod work great, the new one that Brunton and Bogen-Manfotto plate
is a little different on on the under side, their is no notch and the plate side out even with the lock down
lever in place I would like to buy a couple of plate that come with the tripod, I have 5 of the new
plates that don't work all the good.
Old Sunday 27th December 2015, 21:44   #70
BruceH
BF Supporter 2020

Quote:
I just tried my Bogen-Manfrotto plate in the Brunton tripod. It easily fit in the slot and locked down completely when I turned the lock down lever.
Frank .... Is this the plate you are referring to?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...ing_Plate.html

Thanks.

Old Sunday 27th December 2015, 22:16   #71
FrankD

Bruce,

Not home at the moment but will verify later tonight. That looks like the plate I have.
Old Monday 28th December 2015, 02:25   #72
socalmonstermr5

Picture of plate

http://www.birdforum.net/attachment....1&d=1451272978

the one with the notch comes with tripod the other one is the
one that Brunton and Bogen-Manfotto plate
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20151227_173755.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	146.1 KB
ID:	568405  

Last edited by socalmonstermr5 : Monday 28th December 2015 at 02:35.
Old Monday 28th December 2015, 02:34   #73
socalmonstermr5

head of tripod

head of the tripod the pin is where the notch line up that
hold the plate from moving
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20151227_173930.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	253.2 KB
ID:	568406  
Old Monday 28th December 2015, 02:46   #74
socalmonstermr5

one more picture

Name:	20151227_174015.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	229.0 KB
ID:	568407
learning how to attach picture, think I may have done it right.

Last edited by socalmonstermr5 : Monday 28th December 2015 at 02:48.
Old Monday 28th December 2015, 02:55   #75
socalmonstermr5

Brunton and Bogen-Manfotto

The Brunton and Bogen-Manfotto plate don't have the notch
to hold the plate from moving on the under side
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20151227_174106.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	227.1 KB
ID:	568408  
Advertisement