Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
More discoveries. NEW: Zeiss Victory SF 32

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Closeout spotter for $39.99!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Monday 28th December 2015, 18:01   #76
BruceH
BF Supporter 2020

SoCal .... Thanks for posting the photos! I searched the net for a while trying to find a match to the one supplied with the tripod but no luck.

I wonder if Frank had success with the Manfrotto plate because he bought the AL tripod whereas you purchased the carbon tripod. Maybe the head units have some differences. Frank should be getting a carbon unit soon so hopefully he can tell us of any differences and maybe post a photo.
(The Yin Yang of the Binocular Forum)

BF Supporter 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 28th December 2015, 20:11   #77
BruceH
BF Supporter 2020

I did some more searching looking for additional specs on the carbon fiber Brunton tripod and came across this tripod on the B & H site. I think it may be the same model and Botach changed the model number from F-TPOD-340-CB to 81-230318 for the closeout.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...er_Tripod.html

If my assumption is correct and B&H specs are correct, the fully extended height is 5 feet, 6 inches. That should work for a straight scope for most folks.

Optics Planet is still selling the Brunton model number scope for $289.99.

http://www.opticsplanet.com/brunton-...-pan-head.html

Old Monday 28th December 2015, 20:26   #78
FrankD

I saw those as well Bruce. The next cheapest price I found on the carbon model was $99.99 and the average price was significantly more.

The 5'6" height is without the column extended so I imagine even my 6'4" frame should be able to make use of it.

I will compare the two head plates when I receive it. Hopefully by Friday.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAf...1LMvsLF0DExoog
Old Monday 28th December 2015, 21:06   #79
BruceH
BF Supporter 2020

Frank, If you click on the specs tab on the B & H listing, they show "Maximum Height 5.62' (1.71 m)" on one line and show "Maximum Height w/o Column Extended 4.64' (1.41 m) " on the next line. It would be great if you could measure yours once it arrives. I ordered mine today with the free economy shipping so it will probably show up sometime next year!

Even at your height of 6'4", it should still work for you since the scope (or a camera) adds a few more inches and most folks usually have there feet apart for extra stability. Also, many people lean into the scope a little which lowers the head some more. I currently use a basic Monfrotto that maxes out at about 4 ft 8 inches. I am 5' 11" and have no problem with a camera and only extend the column part way for my angled Zen-Ray Prime scope.

Last edited by BruceH : Monday 28th December 2015 at 21:14. Reason: Added last paragraph

Old Monday 28th December 2015, 22:05   #80
billb9430

I gave one of the little Bresser scopes to each of my two sons and their families. With 4 grandkids and the eldest just 9, I thought the low cost, rugged scope should be ideal for beginners. I also bought one with the idea that it could ride in my car permanently, so as to be available whenever needed. I would not do that with a better scope, but for $40, there's not much risk. Here are some things learned about the three scopes I had:

1.I took out the eyepiece and held a bright flashlight at an angle in front of the eyepiece field lens (this works best at the 15x setting). All three eyepieces had varying degrees of "specks" visible inside. Whether it is dust between the lenses, small bubbles in the cementing, or coating imperfections I cannot tell. One scope had very little of this, but the other two had more. In no case was this visible during normal daytime viewing. I have not tried the scope on a bright star - that might show something. l gave the two best scopes as gifts.

2. Now some good news. I've been able to make two adapters to increase scope utility. The first adapter is to convert the zoom to use in 1.25" standard focusers. The threading on the bottom ring of the eyepiece is metric, 0.75 mm pitch. Attached to this adapter, the zoom will come to focus at infinity (though just barely) in my Pentax PF65EDiia and gives a decent image throughout the power range. It also works in my astro-refractors, but I have little use for a zoom there. The OTHER adapter is much more useful and interesting, since it allows several wider field 1.25" fixed FL eyepieces to be used with the spotter. Similar to the adaptation of 26mm 2" eyepieces to Pentax scopes, on this one, several 1.25" eyepieces have lower barrels that can be removed and present a short, male threaded section a little over 28 mm in diameter, threaded metric, 0.60 mm pitch. Some eyepieces like this I've found are the 20 mm SWA (from Agena and Garrett), the Agena 15 mm SWA, and "Flat Field" eyepieces of 27mm, 19 mm, 16 mm, and 12 mm, branded variously Smart Astronomy and BST. All of these give a much larger AFOV than the zoom at any setting. The views through these eyepieces are pretty nice and since the focus in this scope moves part of the objective, no focusing problems arise. This of course eliminates any problems that might come up with the zoom lens imperfections mentioned above. I made the adapter by knurling the outside of a 2" diameter disk 1/2" thick. The top is bored and threaded to take the eyepiece bottom threading and the bottom of the disk bored and threaded to fit on the scope eyepiece port. See three attached photos of this adapter.

3. Now for some not-so-good news. Since the zoom is labeled with power rather than eyepiece focal length, it cannot be easily used to measure objective focal length using the idea that scope magnification is the ratio of the entrance and exit pupils AND ALSO the ratio of objective focal length to eyepiece focal length. But now with some known FL eyepieces usable with the adapter, this method should work. My first measurement with the 16 mm FF yielded a 2.2 mm exit pupil and using the 27 mm FF the measurement was 3.7 mm. I used 60 mm as the entrance pupil (objective diameter) and so calculated the objective focal length to be 436 and 438, respectively. With two place precision measurements, F = 440 mm. Unfortunately, a glance at the scope and a meter stick confirms that this measurement is not even close to being correct! Based on the physical length of the scope, the objective FL must be more than 300 mm but cannot be over 400 mm! What's going on?

Peering through the empty eyepiece port, I discovered that the whole of the objective is NOT visible from the eyepiece position. There is apparently a stop that limits the aperture of the scope to less than its 60 mm objective lens diameter. I recalled the "flashlight test" for aperture that was developed and used a lot on the Binocular forum of Cloudy Nights website, so tried that. Using that test, the effective aperture at which the scope operates is 44 mm! Plugging that back into the entrance-exit pupil relationship and recalculating gives objective FL of 320 and 321 mm respectively. Based on the claimed scope power, the corresponding zoom FL would be 21 mm to 7 mm.

There may be some variation among scopes, so you might want to recheck with your scope, but my three were all pretty close. If these measurements and observations are correct, the little Bresser scope still turns out to be a good bargain for the money - for a knockabout or beginner's scope - but perhaps not the absolute STEAL that it first appeared to be.

I hope to take apart the zoom eyepiece to see just what caused the "speckling" and whether it can be cleaned up or fixed - or not. Doesn't look like a fun task since it is obviously not designed to be taken apart by the user.

If you were lucky enough to buy one of these scopes at the closeout sale price, I hope you enjoy it, despite the few shortcomings listed above. I'm pretty happy with mine, as are my grandkids. - Bill
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bresser1.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	20.3 KB
ID:	568490  Click image for larger version

Name:	Bresser2.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	19.0 KB
ID:	568491  Click image for larger version

Name:	Bresser3.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	18.7 KB
ID:	568492  
Old Monday 28th December 2015, 22:52   #81
FrankD

Bill,

Very nice adapter! I was wondering about using Astro eyepieces with this scope since it appears to use the same zoom as the Theron Optics Saker....and I know there was some limited success with using some "flat field" eyepieces on that scope.

Just out of curiosity, how much for one of those adapters?
Old Tuesday 29th December 2015, 13:18   #82
billb9430

Frank,
Thanks for the kind words. Sorry that I'm not able to do production work on these adapters for sale in a timely fashion. My lathe is an old South Bend and can only cut metric threading using added transposing gears. Unfortunately, that means the thread dial indicator will not work and I have to leave the half nuts engaged and wind the bit back after each threading pass by reversing the motor. It's a pretty slow process for me. Any local machine shop that has a metric lathe should be able to turn out an adapter for you. The stock I started with was a thick wall tube of 6061 aluminum with 2" OD and 1" ID. A 2" solid rod would work, too.

It is a cruel fact that the little scopes were available in the USA - where metric "home shop" lathes are rare and the scopes were NOT available for low cost in other countries where metric lathes must be common. - Bill
Old Tuesday 29th December 2015, 13:59   #83
socalmonstermr5

Brunton tripod

Bruce,,Botach has them for $59.00 Brunton changed the # that
it for the new model Brunton F-TPOD-340-CB I believe it's the same
tripod with head the one for sale at Botach I talk with Brunton long
time ago about there tripod.
Old Friday 8th January 2016, 03:09   #84
ptickner

I finally got the scope out today, and I have to say that I'm quite pleased, especially considering what I paid. I mounted it on my beast of a tripod (my Bogen 3036 with a 3039 head) so it would hold nice and steady. At low magnification, the clarity was excellent, and remained so past 30x. It dropped off a little around the edges towards max magnification, which didn't really surprise me. Upon looking into the objective lens with a flashlight I could see just a couple of flecks of dust, but nothing that would interfere with an image. My focus knob doesn't feel real smooth, like there are positions where there is more tension than others, which worries me a little bit.

Overall, I'm quite pleased with my purchase. The scope that I use regularly is a Vortex Razor HD 20-60x85 that I love. While this scope certainly won't replace it, it is much lighter and I'll be much more likely to throw it in a pack with a light tripod and head off into the woods with it. Just for curiosity I checked eBay, and there are a couple of these scopes listed for $75 to $125. There is also a listed a Bresser 25-75x100 which I'd sure like to check out! Anyone seen one of these?
Old Friday 8th January 2016, 12:54   #85
FrankD

Glad you like the scope Ptickner. It definitely is going to serve a purpose in my scope selection. With the new tripods I also purchased I am sure I will have fun taking it out often enough.

On another note, I did look at the 25-75x100 scope you mentioned. Nothing seems "wrong" with it per se. My only reservation would be paying $400+ for a scope that does not use ED glass in the design. You know the benefits that it provides from your Razor. As you move up in objective diameter you move up in magnification. As you move up in magnification you typically need better glass to make use of it because of the increased effect that any aberration, chromatic in this case, can have on the image.
Old Friday 8th January 2016, 14:34   #86
ptickner

I wouldn't pay the $400+ for the 25-75x100 either, but if they show up in a killer deal like it's little brother did, I'd sure consider one!
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: