Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
More discoveries. NEW: Zeiss Victory SF 32

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Birding targets for 2016

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Friday 8th January 2016, 19:21   #26
Gill Osborne

I saw my first Green Woodpecker in Kent in July 1992 and am STILL waiting to catch up with my first Northumberland one! I've heard them yaffling a few times in nearby Hulne Park but the wee blighters are proving very elusive to see! So three species I would love to catch up with this year are....

1: Green Woodpecker
2: Wood Warbler (saw my first in Jesmond Dene in May 1986 and none since!)
3: Ring Ouzel *lifer*

Also aiming to see my first Bee Orchids and also start keeping a pan list of species on my organic allotment 2015 was my first year on the plot and I had nine species of Butterfly alone which was fantastic! Aiming to get to grips with the various spiders and hoverflies this year.

BF Supporter 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Saturday 9th January 2016, 17:04   #27
Mysticete

another target down...Pink-footed Goose. It's nice when a rare bird decides to drop in 13 minutes from your home, especially since the one last fall was a good hour and a half and ranged over a large area.
Mammal: 230 Herp: 174
Old Saturday 9th January 2016, 19:23   #28
sbooder
an english birder in france

I would just like to stop dipping!

Hawke Sapphire 8x43 EDs, Hawke Endurance ED 85.
Old Sunday 10th January 2016, 10:30   #29
JakeM

After spring of 2014 i realized that i was having a decent year, for me. (I dont chase rarities that are too distant, i just dont think that it is very green, but that is just me). So, i tried for a personal best that year, in Ontario, and beat my previous record by 11 species. Before 2015 i decided to again try for a personal best year, within certain geographic limitations. My wife asked me what would i rather have, a life bird in the year (difficult, as i have travelled in the past) or a personal best. I opted for the life bird. As it turned out, i saw both Kirtlands Warbler and Parasitic Jaeger. Life birds. Long, long time nemesis birds. And by years end, i set a new personal best, beating my previous record by a 13 species. Sometimes you get more than you wish for.
Anyhow. What are my birding hopes for 2016 ? Great looks at birds. (ie. Louisiana Waterthrush in 2014) More self found rarities. (ie. Mountain Bluebird in 2015). Birds i haven't seen for a while (ie. Dickcisssel), Plenty of ambiance. Trying out new areas. More Zen birding. More birds than birders....

Last edited by JakeM : Sunday 10th January 2016 at 10:32. Reason: addition
Old Sunday 10th January 2016, 12:56   #30
Dave Pearson

I would like to see Barrow's Goldeneye, White-rumped Swift, Corsican Nuthatch and Tengmalm's Owl but I doubt if I can afford the time and expense to get all four in one year. Any help with the latter would be most appreciated!
Old Tuesday 12th January 2016, 09:25   #31
punkskaphil

I make a list of five targets for the year. Last year, after many excruciating near misses, I finally got my Lesser Spotted Woodpecker, and I also got Golden Eagle from my list as well. The other three, Jack Snipe, Twite and Grasshopper Warbler will carry over onto this year's list:

1) Jack Snipe
2) Twite
3) Grasshopper Warbler
4) Little Auk
5) Corncrake
Old Tuesday 12th January 2016, 16:24   #32
lazza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gill Osborne View Post
I saw my first Green Woodpecker in Kent in July 1992 and am STILL waiting to catch up with my first Northumberland one!
Ditto! I've tried several places that they get reported in Northumberland, but still not seen one in the UK anywhere outside south east England and East Anglia.

Having said that, any of the 17 species on my seen-in-the-UK-but-not-in-Northumberland list would be nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gill Osborne View Post
Aiming to get to grips with the various spiders and hoverflies this year
Good luck with that!
2019 year list: 235 (Snow Bunting, Bamburgh; October)

Last edited by lazza : Tuesday 12th January 2016 at 17:23.
Old Thursday 14th January 2016, 16:53   #33
rosbifs

Further to my earlier post I have put one target to bed - the Pallid Harrier.
Its a long story but I misidentified this bird about a month ago. I questioned my id that evening, rightly so, and then spent the month trying to relocate it. It was refound (unbeknownst to me 3 days after my sighting and then on Sunday) about 25 miles away from original site properly identified as Pallid and I got it today!!

I can't think of a replacement target though...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pallid harrier.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	281.7 KB
ID:	570140  
Old Friday 15th January 2016, 18:32   #34
Larry Sweetland
Formerly 'Larry Wheatland'

Since March (when I saw my last new bird) my life list has been decreasing as a proportion of the number of bird species in the world due to splits. My hopes for this year are to see more new birds than the number of unseen splits that will happen, so I don't end up with a smaller (as a percentage of the world's birds) life list than at the beginning of the year. As I only have one short trip planned it's going to be a close call.

As far as UK birding goes, I barely make it to the local urban park more than 2 or 3 hours a week, and that's with a toddler that isn't enjoying it, so my goal there is to find something 'better' than a Med Gull or a Firecrest, which have been the highlights there over the last year..

Last edited by Larry Sweetland : Friday 15th January 2016 at 18:36.
Old Monday 25th January 2016, 18:32   #35
ptickner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysticete View Post
Pink-footed Goose. It's nice when a rare bird decides to drop in 13 minutes from your home
I'm guessing you're not in WY anymore?

My goals are to pick up some of the more local birds that I don't have. I've lived in CO for almost 25 years and still don't have all of the chickens.
Old Monday 25th January 2016, 18:59   #36
Farnboro John

If anybody's target is Shorelark, there's a very showy one on the Isle of Sheppey at Minster Beach that I would recommend. Sadly not a new album shot for me but a huge improvement on the old Shorelark pic.

John
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160123 (4)_Shorelark (800x533).jpg
Views:	40
Size:	238.7 KB
ID:	571360  Click image for larger version

Name:	20160123 (6)_Shorelark (800x533).jpg
Views:	37
Size:	213.0 KB
ID:	571361  Click image for larger version

Name:	20160123 (9)_Shorelark (533x800).jpg
Views:	37
Size:	221.8 KB
ID:	571362  
Old Monday 25th January 2016, 20:24   #37
Nutcracker
Stop Brexit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptickner View Post
My goals are to pick up some of the more local birds that I don't have. I've lived in CO for almost 25 years and still don't have all of the chickens.
Wouldn't you have to go to RI for Rhode Island Red?
Old Tuesday 26th January 2016, 06:32   #38
rosbifs

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosbifs View Post
Further to my earlier post I have put one target to bed - the Pallid Harrier.

I can't think of a replacement target though...
Got my new target. I want a local Tengmalms Owl. Just been thinking about the Eagle Owl prospecting, which is going well, and thought yeah why not a Tengmalms - this is going to mean some late nights and maybe a sleep over....
Old Wednesday 27th January 2016, 12:17   #39
Mysticete

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptickner View Post
I'm guessing you're not in WY anymore?

moved out to Long Island in August, where Barnacle and Pink-footed are practically annual now. PROBABLY should update the profile :)

I lived in Laramie seven years and never did get down to see the White-tailed Ptarmigan, and still kicking myself over that. I did at least get both Sage Grouse, Dusky Grouse, and Greater Prairie Chicken, so got some of the "local" chickens.
Mammal: 230 Herp: 174
Old Wednesday 27th January 2016, 14:47   #40
Peter C.
...just zis guy, you know?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandsblair View Post
We have two trips planned for next year

Japan (jan /feb) main targets are Stellers Sea Eagle, Blakison's Fish Owl and Japanese Crane

Columbia (Nov) - White-tipped Quetzal, Santa Marta Endemics and some new Antpittas.
Great destinations, David/Sarah! Wish I had the resources (both time and money are lacking) for either of those this year!

Careful with the spelling, though - really, the Colombians are a bit sensitive about it...

PC

BF Supporter 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 27th January 2016, 17:15   #41
ovenbird43

The recent winter storm cancelled the pelagic trip out of Brooklyn, but I've rebooked for a similar trip out of Cape May - so still a chance for Dovekie (lifer), and I guess the other target alcids will end up on my New Jersey list.

Recently got Little Gull, Thayer's Gull, American Pipit, and Harlequin Duck for my New York list, Little Gull was also new for me for the ABA area.

I'm feeling desperate for a trip to the tropics but life circumstances may not allow me to arrange such a trip this year.
Old Thursday 28th January 2016, 07:29   #42
Euan Buchan
The Edinburgh Birdwatcher
BF Supporter 2020

Yesterday I went twitching for a Mandarin Duck one had been spotted in Faggate Park in Portobello sadly I didn't see it would have loved to have seen it the joy of twitching.

www.theedinburghbirdwatcher.com

BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 4th January 2017, 09:52   #43
dandsblair
David and Sarah

Results

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandsblair View Post
We have two trips planned for next year

Japan (jan /feb) main targets are Stellers Sea Eagle, Blakison's Fish Owl and Japanese aka Red-crowned Crane

Colombia (Nov) - White-tipped Quetzal, Santa Marta Endemics and some new Antpittas.
We did trip reports for Japan and Colombia (also a short trip to Finland) and for once we got most of our main targets perhaps we weren't ambitious enough (we did miss 5 of the 30 or so endemics on Santa Marta) but we got the 3 Japan targets and 3 new Owls in Finland.
We saw the WT Quetzal and 10 Antpitta's in Colombia (7 photographed - way beyond expectations).
Just firming up plans for this year we should have main trips booked by the weekend.
How did others do?
Old Thursday 5th January 2017, 05:56   #44
avesjohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by avesjohn View Post
This summer I'll be working at Rocky Mountain National Park in Colorado, so there's a whole suite of potential lifers to see in the several months I'll be in the state:

Dusky Grouse
White-tailed Ptarmigan
Northern Bobwhite
Scaled Quail
Mississippi Kite
Northern Goshawk
Eastern Screech-Owl
Red-headed Woodpecker
American Three-toed Woodpecker
Cordilleran Flycatcher
Eastern Kingbird

Chestnut-collared Longspur
Dickcissel

I also have a good chance of seeing some eastern birds I haven't seen in years, such as Red-bellied Woodpecker, Blue Jay, Eastern Bluebird, and Common Grackle.
To make things simple, I just put in bold the species in the above lists that I managed to see while in Colorado last May-October, while adding another here: Wild Turkey, which I added as a lifer there despite having previously seen them here in California several times on account of them being considered exotic here but "native" there.

Needless to say, I didn't get to travel around Colorado as much as I would've liked, but I still managed to reach my goal of 100+ species seen in the state (with 120 by the time I left). I rarely left the immediate Estes Park/Rocky Mountain National Park area. Even with that being the case, Dusky Grouse turned out to be a serious nemesis bird, and a bird I thought I would get fairly easily, given time and effort, eluded me.
Latest Lifer: Red-footed Booby #532

My Flickr page. My iNaturalist page.
Old Thursday 5th January 2017, 06:09   #45
rosbifs

So heard a 'local'ish White Backed Woody (need to see it now) but not Tengmalms. Got Pallid Harrier.

Targets for 2017 remain the same - WBW and Tengmalms
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: