• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Robin Nestbox (1 Viewer)

Cockney Sparra

Hi - first post!

Yesterday I put a brushwood Robin nester amongst some climbers on the back wall of our garden. We have a few Robin's that frequent our garden/feeders, and the location we've chosen seems for the most part ideal: quite well tucked away, n/e facing.

My question is, we have a feeder along the adjacent fence about 10f foot away that gets a lot of use, including by the Robins. Is this likely to impact on this nester being used?

Most likely yes, if you keep replenishing the feeder during the period that a pair of Robins may occupy the nest box. They will be disturbed by your visits and perhaps the frequency of visits by other species = stress.
Maybe another quieter, well hidden site for the nestbox would be preferable. Robin's should have established their territories by now, but will continue to defend against any other "intruders".
Good luck.

Most likely yes, if you keep replenishing the feeder during the period that a pair of Robins may occupy the nest box. They will be disturbed by your visits and perhaps the frequency of visits by other species = stress.
Maybe another quieter, well hidden site for the nestbox would be preferable. Robin's should have established their territories by now, but will continue to defend against any other "intruders".
Good luck.

Thanks Pyrtle. I will consider moving the feeder then, as given the size/apsect of the garden, this is probably the best site for the nest box

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back