• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Colombia Road Trip, Feb 2020 (1 Viewer)

TomFriedel

Colombia
Hi
I live in Medellin and every year a I drive across the country with my wife from Medellin to Orito in the Putumayo department, where my friend Jurgen Beckers has a reserve called 'La Isla Escondida'. Normal stops are Anchicaya (4 days), and Rio Blanco. There are several routes and many possible stops. It might take 12 days to arrive, and I might stay a week at the reserve in Orito, and another 12 to get back. I have a Zotye mini-SUV, that could fit four people comfortably, although I may have to buy a roof rack for a long trip with four. I am just starting to plan the 2020 trip. I am asking for gas and tolls in exchange for providing transportation and driving. Of course everyone pays their food and lodging. I am open to the possibility of a one way trip (12 days or 12 days plus seven at Orito, and I would either pick you up or drop you off at the airport near Orito, where you can catch a flight to Bogota). Starting in late January is also possible.
Please contact me at [email protected] if interested.

We are thinking of leaving earlier, January 10 or shortly thereafter. My goal is photography so will focus on being at the best sites at the best hours for photography (morning, afternoon). This trip should be under $100/day, and possibly well below that especially with two more people. I will start planning the itinerary this week, but will probably include Rio Blanco, Hacienda del Bosque and Anchicaya, San Cirpriano on the first segment.

This trip was very successful and economical. I am thinking of going back to La Isla Escondida end of April or beginning of May, flying to Puerto Asis. I am just looking for company on the segment Asis to and from the reserve.
I might stay 10-14 days. You could leave earlier if you would like, and the reserve can arrange transport back to the airport. I am also looking at some sites near Puerto Asis before or afterwards.

My lifers on the trip no one here was interested in (and good photos of about half of them)

Choco Screech Owl
Band-bellied Owl
Olive-backed Quail-Dove
Citron-bellied Attila
Ash-browed Spinetail
Agile Tit-Tyrant
Mottle-backed Elaenia
Masked Tanager
Large-headed Flatbill
Pale-vented Thrush
Andean Siskin
Sand-colored Nighthawk
Black-headed Antthrush
Rufous-headed Woodpecker
Stygian Owl
Sungrebe
Schwartz's Antthrush
East Andean Antbird

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back