• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Red Panda split (1 Viewer)

The paper states that the Red Panda is two species in 'phylogenetic' sense, and there was a gene flow from Chinese to Himalayan forms.

I will get to twitch both after I finish with 11 species of Klippspringer. ;)

The paper states that the Red Panda is two species in 'phylogenetic' sense, and there was a gene flow from Chinese to Himalayan forms.

I will get to twitch both after I finish with 11 species of Klippspringer. ;)

Difference is that they infer a split based on whole genomes of 3 million years ago, which combined with the present morphological differences, could indicate this species is valid. But as mentioned by others they did not sample in part of the range (Bhutan & N India), so maybe new research would find something of a cline... On the other hand, stable hybrid zones or gene flow after a split are not necessarily indicators that species should be lumped (e.g. brown and polar bears). And let's not talk about the ridiculous Klipspringer split :p

Difference is that they infer a split based on whole genomes of 3 million years ago, which combined with the present morphological differences, could indicate this species is valid. But as mentioned by others they did not sample in part of the range (Bhutan & N India), so maybe new research would find something of a cline... On the other hand, stable hybrid zones or gene flow after a split are not necessarily indicators that species should be lumped (e.g. brown and polar bears). And let's not talk about the ridiculous Klipspringer split :p

Oh please, can we.........;)

At least with Red Panda, there are clear, morphological differences that a field observer can readilly identify.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back