• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Large gull, W Yorks, 27/02/20 (1 Viewer)

davpen

This gull, seen today in W Yorkshire, had me considering the possibility that it might be a 3cy michahellis. Reasons included the combination of clean grey mantle, scaps, and some of the median coverts, and maybe the advanced bill colouration.

Am I barking up the wrong tree?

Cheers,

Dave

Attachments

• Gull1Boshaw27Feb20.jpg
    Gull1Boshaw27Feb20.jpg
    424.5 KB · Views: 85
  • Gull2Boshaw27Feb20.jpg
    Gull2Boshaw27Feb20.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 47
  • Gull3Boshaw27Feb20.jpg
    Gull3Boshaw27Feb20.jpg
    546.7 KB · Views: 50
  • Gull4Boshaw27Feb20.jpg
    Gull4Boshaw27Feb20.jpg
    603.7 KB · Views: 66
  • Gull5Boshaw27Feb20.jpg
    Gull5Boshaw27Feb20.jpg
    465.9 KB · Views: 34
This gull, seen today in W Yorkshire, had me considering the possibility that it might be a 3cy michahellis. Reasons included the combination of clean grey mantle, scaps, and some of the median coverts, and maybe the advanced bill colouration.

Am I barking up the wrong tree?

Cheers,

Dave

I see that everyone has avoided this thread!

I'll give this a 'michahellis' vote. :t:

That should hopefully flush out some more opinion.

Thanks TT!

I don't mind admitting I haven't got much of a feel for YLG ID, so any more opinions would be welcome.

If it was in Northumbs it'd be a Herring Gull :-O

AKAIK, in Britain, Yellow-legged Gulls can only be found by reaching Mornington Crescent 3:)

Like Andy, I'm also struggling to disagree with 3cy YLGull. Scarce in Yorks at this time of year, but no doubt under-recorded because they're not generally expected outside the mid-summer to late autumn 'window'. The dark iris, while not diagnostic, seems more the norm for 2nd winter YLG than in Herring Gull, which are usually pale at this age.

Last edited:
Cheers Steve. Viewing the photos at 100%, I could convince myself that the orbital ring is at least mid-orange too (and maybe darker), though of course that's not diagnostic either.

First pic straight out of camera, cropped and enlarged. Orbital ring looks reddish here.

As Steve says, michahellis is quite scarce in Yorks in Feb, so I'd still be interested to hear any arguments why it might be just a Herring.

Dave

Attachments

• Gull1headzoomed.jpg
    Gull1headzoomed.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 28
As Steve says, michahellis is quite scarce in Yorks in Feb, so I'd still be interested to hear any arguments why it might be just a Herring.
In Northumbs, the main confusion (what the great majority of 'michahellis claims' get accepted as) is Herring x LBB hybrids - I'd suspect that's what this bird needs to be compared against, rather than pure Herring.

Thanks Nutcracker. Can't say I'd considered the LBB hybrid option, but will do so.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back