• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Griswold's UK Birding Year 2020 (1 Viewer)

ClarkWGriswold

Carpe Carpum
Supporter
Wales
2019 Total: 221

Primary aim for this year is to increase my paltry life list. This currently stands at 286, and I'm hoping to get to 300 by the end of next year when I'll be 50:eek!:. I'll also be fitting in loads of local walks with the hound and having a couple of UK breaks in dog friendly cottages.

Really looking forward to reading everyone's lists through the year as well.

Not too many birds on the first day of the year but still had a brilliant day. Out with Kev and my youngest to the FOD. Arrived just before daybreak but still managed to dip on Hawfinch. Had to cut the day a bit short as when wondering over to Crabtree Hill I took the wrong path and Max managed to get stuck in the mud. I managed to pull him out but his foot came out of his welly sans sock, and then he stepped ankle deep back in to the mud. Once I'd stopped laughing I helped him out properly:-O. Perhaps understandably he dragged his heels a little after this.

1. Blackbird
2. Robin
3. Song Thrush
4. Pheasant
5. Wood Pigeon
6. Magpie
7. Rook
8. Chaffinch
9. GSW
10. Carrion Crow
11. Great Tit
12. Blue Tit
13. Nuthatch
14. Treecreeper
15. Dunnock
16. Mute Swan
17. Mandarin
18. Mallard
19. Tufted Duck
20. Cormorant
21. Dabchick
22. Coot
23. Moorhen
24. Goldfinch
25. Jay
26. Starling
27. Canada Goose
28. Common Snipe
29. Common Buzzard
30. Great Grey Shrike
31. Siskin
32. Long Tailed Tits
33. BH Gull
34. Herring Gull

Next it was back in to Wales and a quick stop off on the river Usk.

35. Goldeneye
36. Smew
37. House Sparrow
38. LBBG
39. Jackdaw

Then it was off home dropping Kev off in Port Toilet on the way. I managed to bribe Max with a McDonalds so we fitted in one more stop at The Gnoll. Primarily this was for the long staying Garganey. A nice bird to get so early in the year.

40. Feral Pigeon
41. Grey Wagtail
42. Red-crested Pochard (Female. Very unusual for this site)
43. Garganey
44. Coal Tit

Max added 3 to his life list which now stands at 168 - Great Grey Shrike, Red-crested Pochard and Smew

Attachments

• IMG_7908.jpg
    IMG_7908.jpg
    442 KB · Views: 29
So January the 2nd was my last day off and I headed up to the Beacons with the family. Not much to add but a couple of quality additions.

45. Common Crossbill
46. Goshawk B :)
47. Collared Dove
48. Pied Wagtail
49. Raven

Next we headed to Swansea as I'd promised the OH I'd put some loft insulation down to cover over some of the gaps in the attic. This is totally disgusting job for those who haven't done it. Made worse by my claustrophobia :eek!:

I did manage to convince the OH though that we needed to stretch the pup's legs so we walked around the Fendrod. Added the following:

50. Common Gull
51. Goosander
52. Pochard

Saturday I headed down to Llanellishire with the pup to try to add some waders to the year list.

At Kidwelly we had a scan with the scope before going for a walk along the canal. There is a water treatment works here and it always seems to be good for over wintering Chiffchaff.

53. Little Egret
54. Red Kite
55. Lapwing
56. Curlew
57. Oystercatcher
58. Golden Plover
59. Common Redshank
60. Greenshank
61. Dunlin
62. Kingfisher
63. Chiffchaff
64. Goldcrest
65. Eurasian Teal
66. Rock Pipit
67. Bullfinch

Making our way back home we stopped off at Pembrey Harbour. The pup had a good run and I added some common species.

68. Greater Black Backed Gull
69. Ringed Plover
70. Skylark

We then had a quick stop at Pwll for a walk and a quick scan.

71. Red-breasted Merganser
72. Great Crested Grebe
73. Wren
74. Greylag Goose

Today we went down to Aberavon Beach to meet up with a group of Vizsla owners. Absolutely fantastic seeing them all together. The boy loved it. A Kestrel on the A465 was good to see. They used to be common when I was younger here but I haven't seen one for years.

Afterwards we walked along the beech to the jetty. Good numbers of Sanderling along the shoreline and Turnstones were on the Jetty. A bonus was a Peregrine being harassed by a gull across the water behind the jetty. I've not seen one here before which is surprising given it appears to be very suitable habitat.

75. Sanderling
76. Turnstone
77. Peregrine
78. Kestrel

As an aside, Max had a trail cam for his Birthday so we've set it up next to the house. Wood mice have been the main visitors but the night we brought it in to recharge all the food went. Knowing there's Badgers and Foxes around we were really hopeful for some decent footage. Turned out the neighbours cat had been helping itself to a free meal:C:C Ah well. We'll change the food source and see how that goes.

And just heard a Tawny Owl.

79. Tawny Owl

Had a walk around Aberdare Park today during my lunch break. 1st time I’ve been here and despite it hammering down it was lovely. On the boating pond was an Egyptian Goose which I’ve refrained from tickingo:D

A cracking Grey Wagtail landed beside me whilst I was eating my sarnies under a tree. On the grass around the pond were heaps of Redwings and a few Mistle Thrush. In the Alders next to the pond was a mixed flock of Goldfinches and Lesser Redpolls. A very enjoyable 1/2 hour.

80. Redwing
81. Mistle Thrush
82. Lesser Redpoll

Had an hour in the hide at Kenfig Pool yesterday. Weather was grotty and water levels were very high.

84. Gadwall
85. Northern Shoveller
86. Wigeon

Project 300 is underway. Max added 3 lifers today and I added 1.

Setting off from Neath at 8 this morning we picked up Kev from Port Toilet and headed down to Steart before working our way back via Goldcliff and Newport Wetlands.

Walking up to the river the best we could manage were Stonechats and Reed Buntings. At the river we’re Pintails, Knot, Curlews etc. Then walking back our target bird came into view with 3 Meadow Pipits. A cracking Richard’s Pipit. Seen briefly before it headed out on to the Marsh.

Also had good views of a Peregrine, Kestrel and heaps of Golden Plovers.

Stopping back at Goldcliff we quickly saw the long staying Glossy Ibis and the Black-necked Grebe. At Newport Wetlands I couldn’t find the Little Owls or any Beardies but it was good to see lots of youngsters out and about on the reserve.

87. Fieldfare
88. Shelduck
89. Northern Pintail
90. Knot
91. Richard’s Pipit Lifer #1 B :)B :)
92. Grey Heron
93. Black-necked Grebe
94. Glossy Ibis
95. Reed Bunting
96. Meadow Pipit
97. Greenfinch

Now up to 287:t: Max added 3 lifers - Richard’s Pipit, Black-Necked Grebe and Knot. Takes him up to 171. And he bought a Grey Heron pin from Newport Wetlands to add to his collection.

Rich

So I was out the back garden burying another hamster when the Stock Dove that was a round last year returned. Every cloud and all that. Also had my second plastic goose of the year. A Pink-footed Goose on the 2nd Gnoll Pond.

98. Stock Dove

Picked up Green Woodpecker whilst out and about in work today and then stopped off at Aberdulais on my way home for Dipper. Thought I had a Woodcock over the M4 as well this morning but view too brief to be sure.

99. Green Woodpecker
100. Dipper

Picked up a few year ticks in Norfolk recently. Still no Sparrowhawk though:eek!:

101. Linnet
102. Twite:t:
103. Egyptian Goose
104. Pink-footed Goose
105. White-fronted Goose
106. Tundra Bean Goose Lifer #2 B :)
107. Eastern Blue-headed Yellow Wagtail Lifer #3 B :)
108. Grey Plover
109. Water Pipit
110. Black-tailed Godwit
111. Bar-tailed Godwit
112. Brambling
113. Red-legged Partridge
114. Grey Partridge:t:
115. Rough Legged Buzzard:t:
116. Hen Harrier :t:
117. Short-eared Owl:t:
118. Barn Owl:t:
119. Cettis Warbler
120. Marsh Harrier
121. Whooper Swan
122. Bewicks Swan
123. Tree Sparrow
124. Great White Egret
125. Brent Geese
126. Shore Lark:t:
127. Snow Bunting
128. Avocet
129. Spotted Redshank
130. Common Scoter

Attachments

• IMG_8022.jpg
    IMG_8022.jpg
    569.8 KB · Views: 25
Have added a few up in Scotland:

131. Shag
132. Black-throated Diver
133. Long-tailed Duck
134. Eider
135. Crested Tit:t:
136. Capercaillie :t::t:

137. Hooded Crow
138. Black Duck Lifer #4 B :)B :)
139. Velvet Scoter
140. Tystie
141. Slavonian Grebe
142. Ptarmigan

Life list now up to 290.

Stayed local today and came across this little beauty. Thanks to Tate and Barry/ Stonefaction with the ID. I’m hopeless with big white jobs but could see this was a white winger and wasn’t a Glaucous Gull. Need to be more confident :-C

143. Iceland Gull :t:

Attachments

• 1A7F2431-F46A-4501-A903-36F3B97FCAE1.jpg
    1A7F2431-F46A-4501-A903-36F3B97FCAE1.jpg
    254.1 KB · Views: 33
There’s been a lot of discussion on Twitter about this bird along with better photos. It’s now believed to be a Kumlien’s Gull.

So:

143. Kumlien’s Gull

Couldn't find the hoped for Willow Tit at Garwnant today but did have a decent view of the GGS that Roger (@devonbirder) found on Wednesday.

Attachments

• IMG_8172.jpg
    IMG_8172.jpg
    451.1 KB · Views: 28
Wasn’t going anywhere yesterday until the Wales v Scotland game was called off. Ended up having a brilliant day in Somerset. Bumped in to a Birder called Dave from Bath at Chew Valley Lake. He quickly got me on to the RND before we both headed to Cheddar Reservoir for the Little Gull and then back to Chew for the Gull roost. An incredibly knowledgable birder and a great fella to boot. Has a lead right foot though. :-O

Almost met Paul from BF as well. Next time:t:

145. Ring-necked Duck
146. Little Gull
147. Laughing Gull Lifer #5 B :)B :)

Life list now 291. Need to update Max’s after the Scottish trip.

Understandably the first addition for a while. Walked from the house with the hound to the local river. Heard our first Blackcap of the year.

148. Blackcap

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back