• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

x32 SF (1 Viewer)

I am going to guess they are going to ask over $2,700 for the X32 (I will give Bill credit for this nick name, we all know what it describes - code name X32=Zeiss SF 8X32.
This thread is generating free advertising for Zeiss, I think some $$ should be provided to BF.

Andy W.

I always wanted to look through the 8x32 Swarovski but Cabelas only stocks the 10x32. I will definitely have to try one next to the SF when it comes out.

I am going to guess they are going to ask over $2,700 for the X32 (I will give Bill credit for this nick name, we all know what it describes - code name X32=Zeiss SF 8X32.
This thread is generating free advertising for Zeiss, I think some $$ should be provided to BF.

Andy W.

Retrovid is a perfect name for what the new Trinovid was/is. Eronald started this very thread with the x32 moniker. To me it had a sort of 'secret agent' vibe, hence my use of it in a frivolous way.

Regarding market price, and it is simply a studied guess, is that in 6 months it will be priced about 7% below what you can get an SF 8x42 for. So, a regular, go to internet vendor should offer an 8x32 for around $2510, or so.

I dearly hope they do not over price it like Nikon did with the Monarch HG 8x30. I still don't understand the rationalization for that price, especially compared to the 8x42.... Oddly enough, in my mind, the 8x42 mhg is competitive with the x32 Zeiss. It is close in dimensions, and weight, far below in price, plus more aperture, which confers certain advantages...
Of course the Nikon's field won't be as flat.

If one is talking 8x32 alpha glass, competing in a wider field class, Zeiss' main competition is Swarovski. All they have to do is make the Zeiss economically competitive with their 'perceived' rival...

Leica does not (unfortunately) even have a dog in this fight...

What will stop them? Coronavirus! Look how it has already disrupted their marketing plan. I expect they're looking at Plan 'B; right now. They should be looking at 'Plan C'.... I would love to see some sort of pre-order discount tendered to folks like us. On that issue: great idea Andy!

Zeiss: If you're listening, consider offering interested folks like us (ok, binocular geeks...) a great introductory price for this model. We already know you're making it. Give enough folks a generous, pre-order discount, and you'll generate a buzz for very little investment...

Furthermore send samples to Henry Link, Troubador, Typo, Bill Cook, Chuck Hill, Holger Merlitz, Roger Vine, and Tobias Mennie, to analyze and review in the manner they see fit.. If you've got any faith in your product, you'll not get better internet press for a fraction of the cost of a major publicity campaign...

-B.

Last edited:
Furthermore send samples to Henry Link, Troubador, Typo, Bill Cook, Chuck Hill, Holger Merlitz, Roger Vine, and Tobias Mennie, to analyze and review in the manner they see fit.. If you've got any faith in your product, you'll not get better internet press for a fraction of the cost of a major publicity campaign...

-B.

Hey, what did Kimmo do wrong?

-B.

It was worth a TRY! LOL!!!

Price for the new SF 8X32....hmmmm. Should be close to the price of an SV 8X32 wouldn't you think? I checked to see the price Gordon is selling the SV...$2199. New technology is worth something....I say $2300-$2400 USD.

It was worth a TRY! LOL!!!

Price for the new SF 8X32....hmmmm. Should be close to the price of an SV 8X32 wouldn't you think? I checked to see the price Gordon is selling the SV...$2199. New technology is worth something....I say $2300-$2400 USD.

Just what IS their pricing strategy is the question in my mind. Your thinking is spot on IF they are focused on trying to undermine/beat the competition. What I did was look at the ratio of 42/32 pricing within the Zeiss line, and used the Conquest HD ratio to calculate a price for the x32 SF. I plum forgot about the Terra line... Not sure how it would change it. Your guess is less than mine. I like it!

Last edited:
But of course!

Zeiss should just ship a carton of 'em to your place, and you can fling them into the forum to deserving members, like frisbees thrown into a crowd at a rock concert. :smoke:

Spendid idea!

Do they allow the throwing of frisbees at rock concerts? If they hit someone plumb on the head do they get a violent attack of chromatic aberration? They would if they were hit by a flying SF32!

Lee

Having spent many decades in technical sales (but not in optics) in principal if you are a little afraid of your competitor's product then you price underneath it to attract the customers. If you are confident in the capabilities of your product you price according to these capabilities not the price of your competitor. It will be interesting to see where Zeiss will pitch SF32.

Lee

It also depends on which retailer starts to discount or veer away from the rrp in that country. For example the Swarovski may well have a suggested price in the UK of £1850 incl VAT, but is advertised through shop retailers at £1559. It was always the internet / warehouse type companies that discounted heavily and thus the traditional optics shop had to follow suit - birders can be so unscrupulous, view a product at shop A, handling, comparing, and then buy from Tinternet Warehouse as they were £20 cheaper! Tight ot what.

My guess, suggested UK rrp incl VAT, £1899 for the 8/32. This will soon be trimmed down as more units are produced and made available to stockists.
My wish would be not to give an internet only company the same discount as a shop with demonstrators, stock and knowledgeable staff.
Availability? Brexit / Coronavirus / Launch date and countries / Zeiss authorised dealers first please.
May 1st 2020

P

It won't be Zen Ray specifically; but I have no doubt that blueprints, and in due course an example, of the x32 SFs are/will be in a PRC optics factory soon - if not, indeed, as we speak...
Maybe we should wait till the Chinese copy it and then we can get it for 1/3 the price.3:)

It won't be Zen Ray specifically; but I have no doubt that blueprints, and in due course an example, of the x32 SFs are/will be in a PRC optics factory soon - if not, indeed, as we speak...

Or rather we will get sold the same binoculars without the "Zeiss" sticker, minus Schott glass prisms, in a different color scheme, from the same production line.

According to EU rules, adding the Zeiss sticker in Germany, cleaning the lenses and putting the product in a box probably counts as "final assembly in Germany" :)

Edmund

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back