• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

juv. Rosy-Finch, Dillon, Colorado, USA (1 Viewer)

jedku

Marc
Sorry no photo. Seen today at very close range through window glass. Tawny brown all over, no streaks at all; faint cinammon wing-bars; yellowish bill with strong white bar where upper mandible joins head (don't know the name for that).
I am thinking Gray-crowned Rosy-Finch juvenile based on National Geo. guide. But the guide is not precise enough on juv. rosy-finches. Are the above field marks enough to rule out female or juv. Brown-capped? If not has to go down as leucosticte sp.

Thanks for the help. Am traveling light. Borrowed this field guide from a local friend and don't have time to research this online right now. Hoping someone can help me.

Last edited:
After viewing photos on the web, I am leaning towards brown-capped. Still uncertain about how long juv. plumages stay on these species. May seems late. This may have been an adult female Brown-capped. There were no signs of gray in the head. Still looking for a good photo compare on the web for female and juvenile rosy-finches.
Will head outside (in the driving snow) to look for rosy-finches. Had not seen them in extensive birding in this area of aspen, willow carr and lodgepole/spruce transition. But, the last 2 days of hard snowing may have brought them down here.
Have already seen Townsend's Solitaires singing and green-tailed towhees arrived for breeding on the milder spring days a few days ago. Red Crossbills and Pine Siskins are the common finches seen so far.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back