Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
More discoveries. NEW: Zeiss Victory SF 32

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Is this Ring-necked Duck wanted to mate with Ferruginous Duck? Morocco

Old Tuesday 31st May 2011, 19:52   #1
Acrocephalus

Is this Ring-necked Duck wanted to mate with Ferruginous Duck? Morocco

Hi,

This is the observation of my friends in a wetland near Kénitra, northern Morocco. They observed a drake Ring-necked Duck actively following a female Ferruginous Duck for about 10 min. Is there any case like this? A quick web-search yielded nothing.
http://moroccanbirds.blogspot.com/20...d-to-mate.html

regards,
Old Tuesday 31st May 2011, 20:30   #2
Morg

Interesting observation - keep an eye out for some odd looking hybirds later in the year... Also, what a mouth-watering pic with ring-necked, fudge duck and marbled teal all together!

Geoff
Old Tuesday 31st May 2011, 20:36   #3
Jonny721

I had a drake Ring Necked Duck on my local patch earlier this year, and it followed a female Pochard round all the time it was there and was attemtping to display to her on at least 1 occassion, so maybe it is a regular habit for this species when they reach this side of the pond?
Old Wednesday 1st June 2011, 19:32   #4
Cheshire Birder

I think the male Ring-necked Ducks that appear in Britain will display to anyhting resembling the female RND. Have you had many records of RND in Morocco before?

CB
Old Wednesday 1st June 2011, 21:47   #5
Piqa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morg View Post
keep an eye out for some odd looking hybirds later in the year... Also, what a mouth-watering pic with ring-necked, fudge duck and marbled teal all together!
We will certainly look for them as the wetland is relatively close to my home. Thanks for your description of the picture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny721 View Post
I had a drake Ring Necked Duck on my local patch earlier this year, and it followed a female Pochard round all the time it was there and was attemtping to display to her on at least 1 occassion, so maybe it is a regular habit for this species when they reach this side of the pond?
I think so too, and I think also that this has something to do with the rarity of one parent species (RND in this case).
Old Wednesday 1st June 2011, 23:16   #6
Piqa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheshire Birder View Post
I think the male Ring-necked Ducks that appear in Britain will display to anyhting resembling the female RND. Have you had many records of RND in Morocco before?
We generally record 1 or 2 annually (18 records from 1980 to 2003, and others recorded later), but one have to keep in mind that observation/birding effort in Morocco is very low in comparison to the situation in Europe.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: