Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
More discoveries. NEW: Zeiss Victory SF 32

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Monteverde in December

Old Wednesday 18th November 2015, 22:12   #1
ori76

Monteverde in December

I am arranging a trip to Costa Rica in three weeks time. I have planed to be in Selva Verde, Monteverde and Carara+Manuel Antonio. Unless you make me change my mind.

I have heard that December could be terribly Windy in Monteverde. Is it true? What other alternatives do I have?. The main objetive of the trip is birding, but I would like to see the main ecosystems of Costa Rica and a cloud forest seems a must. I have never been before in Costa Rica and I would not mind to sacrifice a certain number of species for good scenery. Mammals, amphibians and reptiles will be welcome.

Ricardo
Old Monday 23rd November 2015, 00:24   #2
Birdingcraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by ori76 View Post
I am arranging a trip to Costa Rica in three weeks time. I have planed to be in Selva Verde, Monteverde and Carara+Manuel Antonio. Unless you make me change my mind.

I have heard that December could be terribly Windy in Monteverde. Is it true? What other alternatives do I have?. The main objetive of the trip is birding, but I would like to see the main ecosystems of Costa Rica and a cloud forest seems a must. I have never been before in Costa Rica and I would not mind to sacrifice a certain number of species for good scenery. Mammals, amphibians and reptiles will be welcome.

Ricardo
December is often windy but honestly, it can windy up there any time. You should still see several good birds and would probably find similar weather in other cloud forest sites.
Old Monday 23rd November 2015, 15:32   #3
ori76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdingcraft View Post
December is often windy but honestly, it can windy up there any time. You should still see several good birds and would probably find similar weather in other cloud forest sites.
Cool! I will spend a couple of days up there and lets hope no high winds show up.

Regards
Old Wednesday 25th November 2015, 20:29   #4
ptickner

I was last in Monteverde in March 2014, and one day was incredibly, incredibly windy. I had very low expectations for the day! We spent the day at Curi-Cancha and still tallied 61 species for the day, even with the crazy winds. i would still hope for low winds, but I wouldn't be too worried if they do show up.
Old Sunday 29th November 2015, 10:21   #5
ori76

I will be visiting Curi Cancha with a guide in the early morning. I hope there will be not much wind but if it does it seems there is no major issue. Thanks.
Old Sunday 10th January 2016, 20:54   #6
ori76

Well. No wind at all. I was very lucky and had a great sunny calm day birding in Monteverde. Only some rain at Santa Elena Cloud Forest late in the afternoon.

I did a night tour + an early morning tour at Curi-Cancha with Rafael Elizondo. He is a great birding guide and a better person. Fully recommended. Of course he showed me a Resplandescent Quetzal couple. It was hard to find it but he finally made it possible.

Here is his email:

[email protected]

I also did some birding by my own at Santa Elena. Wonderful site! I had lunch at Stellas Bakery which provided great sightings in its feeders.

I stayed at Arco iris lodge right in town center but surrounded by vegetation that is also fully recommended.

Last edited by ori76 : Monday 11th January 2016 at 09:36.
Old Monday 11th January 2016, 22:40   #7
ptickner

Rafael! He's fantastic, and a great birding guide as well! We really enjoyed his guiding a couple of years ago. His ability to mimic the birds was incredible. When I wrote up my trip report I recommended him highly, and I hope that others heading to CR will heed both your and my advice and look him up. I'm glad you enjoyed your time in Monteverde.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: