• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Durham Birding (6 Viewers)

A few bits and bobs from various locations.

L-R Black tailed godwit, dipper, nuthatch, marsh tit, wren

Hey John, you secret bird watcher you !
You're getting better & better . . . .All those bird names are correct !
Before long, you'll be carrying a pair of binoculars round your neck ;)

Love the Dipper - looks like one of my attempts at a "fotoshop crop" :-O

Hey John, you secret bird watcher you !
You're getting better & better . . . .All those bird names are correct !
Before long, you'll be carrying a pair of binoculars round your neck ;)

Love the Dipper - looks like one of my attempts at a "fotoshop crop" :-O

Don't be fooled, he only got 3 right, I had to tell him what the other 7 were ;):-O.

Beanies

Ray and Paul,
thanks for the directions gentlemen, and Paul, was the "mian" road built by south american indians or cockney pitmen?:-O

Cheers, Mick.:t:

Re Beanies

We tried for the geese several times and found them on Tuesday. They were in the very first field on the lefthand side as we drove towards Boldon Flats from the Whitburn end of Moor Lane. There was also a group of greylgs in the same field. Both groups were quite hard to see at times due to the length of the grass.
Steve C

Here you go Davey.

Been practising with my new Camera and promised to show a couple of shots with it.
From Hawthorn Dene on Monday (still need a lot of practice:gn:).

1. Marsh Tit. 2-3. Nuthatch. 4-5. Great Spotted Woodpecker.

Attachments

• Marsh Tit.jpg
    Marsh Tit.jpg
    175.5 KB · Views: 83
  • Nuthatch 1.jpg
    Nuthatch 1.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 65
  • Nuthatch 2.jpg
    Nuthatch 2.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 73
  • Pecker 1.jpg
    Pecker 1.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 75
  • Pecker 2.jpg
    Pecker 2.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 59
can you lads help me out please..the wife wants to go to Dalton Park tomorrow...is there anywhere close i can go for a couple of hours thats pretty close..and i don`t mean pubs

Had a wander around the Hartlepool Headland at dinnertime today.

Started at the pilot pier to be greeted by the red-necked grebe that was showing well just opposite the Fish Sands. Near-constantly swamped by gulls after a quick meal.Other birds seen include redshank, curlew, purple sandpiper, oystercatcher, turnstone, eider, 2 rock pipit on the Heugh and ringed plover. One guillemot was seen bobbing near the end of the Heugh pier. As I neared the Heugh battery, a red throated diver was quite a way out at sea.

When I got back to the car quite a group had congregated at the end of the pier to watch the red-necked grebe. Would've went across but I was heading to Verril's for me dinner!

P.S. I know almost diddly about gulls so no gulls on this list!

can you lads help me out please..the wife wants to go to Dalton Park tomorrow...is there anywhere close i can go for a couple of hours thats pretty close..and i don`t mean pubs

Hawthorn Dene is right by Dalton Park as is Seaham Harbour and at the next junction north along the A19 is Herrington Country Park.

Had a wander around the Hartlepool Headland at dinnertime today.

Started at the pilot pier to be greeted by the red-necked grebe that was showing well just opposite the Fish Sands. Near-constantly swamped by gulls after a quick meal.Other birds seen include redshank, curlew, purple sandpiper, oystercatcher, turnstone, eider, 2 rock pipit on the Heugh and ringed plover. One guillemot was seen bobbing near the end of the Heugh pier. As I neared the Heugh battery, a red throated diver was quite a way out at sea.

When I got back to the car quite a group had congregated at the end of the pier to watch the red-necked grebe. Would've went across but I was heading to Verril's for me dinner!

P.S. I know almost diddly about gulls so no gulls on this list!

A shame you didn't come down. Quite a few Bird Forum members were there - me included!

You saw pretty much everything there was to see. The RT Diver flew in and landed by the end of the short pier and then swam off out towards Heugh Pier. A pair of Pied Wagtail were on the rocks as well as the several Cormorant and Shag.

No sign of the Med Gull today when I was there.

Med Gull still at Newburn Bridge. Stonechat x2 Zinc Works Road plus grey Partridge x4, Pheasant x4, Kestrel x1.

Greyland White-fronted Goose was on Belasis Avenue this morning with a few Canada Geese and Greaylag Geese. Brent Goose was in field by entrance to RSPB Saltholme again. Loads of Pink-footed Goose and a Tundra Bean Goose on NW side of the Haverton 'Water Pipit' pipeline.

Attachments

• IMG_2273ao.JPG
    IMG_2273ao.JPG
    153.5 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_2305ao.JPG
    IMG_2305ao.JPG
    179.9 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_2521ao.JPG
    IMG_2521ao.JPG
    75.5 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_2637ao.JPG
    IMG_2637ao.JPG
    125.5 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_2615ao.JPG
    IMG_2615ao.JPG
    152.1 KB · Views: 68
feeding station

Been practising with my new Camera and promised to show a couple of shots with it.
From Hawthorn Dene on Monday (still need a lot of practice:gn:).

1. Marsh Tit. 2-3. Nuthatch. 4-5. Great Spotted Woodpecker.

fotos are great love the set up..at Hawthorn Dene do thay have feeding station there...

I was one of the gang watching the Red Necked Grebe at Hartlepool around lunchtime...

Nice to meet IanF again along with Seggs, JayBee, Scuzz & DCJ :t:

Anyway whilst i got good views of RNG the shots were not that good - need a hubble telescope like Scuzz & JBee i reckon :-O

After Hartlepool had a ride down North Gare and Zinc Works Road, pretty much the same as reported by Ian apart from a large flock of Curlew at North Gare, plus a first view of the friendly Kestrel for me :t:

Last edited:
I was one of the gang watching the Red Necked Grebe at Hartlepool around lunchtime...

Nice to meet IanF again along with Seggs, JayBee, Scuzz & DCJ :t:

Anyway whilst i got good views of RNG the shots were not that good - need a hubble telescope like Scuzz & JBee i reckon :-O

After Hartlepool had a ride down North Gare and Zinc Works Road, pretty much the same as reported by Ian apart from a large flock of Curlew at North Gare, plus a first view of the friendly Kestrel for me :t:

you probs would of seen me too at some point

nice kestrel photo :)

DS

starling roost--

only about 2500-3000 at lamesley reed beds tonight not as many last night just a guess about 7000 what a great sight just great:t:
peregrine and male merlin at boldon flats today

Attachments

• 27th feb 2009 019.jpg
    27th feb 2009 019.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 90
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back