• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

2017 Western Palearctic Big Year (3 Viewers)

Weird that they didn't get Berthelot's Pipit at Ponta de São Lourenço, yet watched a LTSkua which is pretty rare (first record from land for Madeira that I've come across with). I'd be very interested in knowing more details regarding this sighting.
Also no Cory's but instead a Great Shearwater from land.. Their lists are probably mostly incomplete.

Pedro

Ah I now understand. Spotted Sandpiper added on Tuesday while on transit on Terceira
Sorry, I could've added some more details indeed.

Last edited:
Weird that they didn't get Berthelot's Pipit at Ponta de São Lourenço, yet watched a LTSkua which is pretty rare (first record from land for Madeira that I've come across with). I'd be very interested in knowing more details regarding this sighting.
Also no Cory's but instead a Great Shearwater from land.. Their lists are probably mostly incomplete.

That's not from land. Given their time, they were on the boat heading for the spot north of Madeira. The pelagics from WindBirds last from 15:00 till 22:00. And they take the passage between Cevada and Farol heading there. So must be around there somewhere they got the LTSkua, but are a bit sloppy with exact locations, and took the closest 'hotspot' they could find, being 'Ponta de Sao Lourenço'...

That's not from land. Given their time, they were on the boat heading for the spot north of Madeira. The pelagics from WindBirds last from 15:00 till 22:00. And they take the passage between Cevada and Farol heading there. So must be around there somewhere they got the LTSkua, but are a bit sloppy with exact locations, and took the closest 'hotspot' they could find, being 'Ponta de Sao Lourenço'...

That makes much more sense lol
Weird how that app works.

They were incredibly lucky in getting the WFSP. I honestly didn't think they would. Another clean-up it appears. Impressive

Well I for one am full of admiration for all the effort they are putting in, and to paraphrase the famous aphorism:
The harder they work the luckier they get!

Another clean-up it appears. Impressive

Almost - still no Berthelot's..........

http://www.bigyearwp.com/index.php/igoterra-ticks/

Cracking WFSP and Barolo Shearwater photos here:-

https://www.facebook.com/bigyearwp/

Down to 55 'regular' WP species not seen to date of which 39 are possible:-

http://www.bigyearwp.com/index.php/itinerary/

Yellow-billed Loon - Varanger?
Fea's Petrel - Cape Verde
Cape Verde Shearwater - Cape Verde
Sooty Shearwater - Britain & Ireland?
Boyd's Shearwater - Cape Verde
Leach's Storm Petrel - Britain & Ireland?
Cape Verde Storm Petrel - Cape Verde
Red-billed Tropicbird - Cape Verde
Brown Booby - Cape Verde
Magnificent Frigatebird - Cape Verde
Lesser White-fronted Goose - Sweden/Norway?
Steller's Eider - Varanger
Harlequin Duck - Iceland
Barrow's Goldeneye - Iceland
Cape Verde Buzzard - Cape Verde
Gyrfalcon - Varanger/Iceland
Helmeted Guineafowl - Cape Verde
Houbara Bustard - Canaries
Eurasian Dotterel - Sweden/Norway?
Sabine's Gull - Britain & Ireland?
Bolle's Pigeon - Canaries
Laurel Pigeon - Canaries
Nanday Parakeet - extinct (Israel) but Canaries?
Cape Verde Swift - Cape Verde
Grey-headed Kingfisher - Cape Verde
Raso Lark - Cape Verde
Berthelot's Pipit - Canaries if not Madeira
Fuerteventura Chat - Canaries
Cape Verde Warbler - Cape Verde
Canary Islands Chiffchaff- Canaries
Grey-headed Chickadee -Sweden/Norway?
Iago Sparrow - Cape Verde
Black-headed Weaver - Portugal
Yellow-crowned Bishop - Portugal
Tenerife Blue Chaffinch - Canaries
Gran Canaria Blue Chaffinch - Canaries
Lesser Redpoll - Britain & Ireland
Scottish Crossbill - Scotland
Azores Bullfinch - Azores

Darter - Iraq (not on itinerary)
Goliath Heron - Egypt (missed)
Shikra - Kuwait (missed?)
Erckel's Francolin - extinct? (Italy)
Lady Amherst's Pheasant - extinct? (Britain)
Pin-tailed Snipe - Polar Urals (not on itinerary)
Swinhoe's Snipe - Russian Urals (sites no longer occupied?)
African Skimmer - Egypt (missed)
Hume's Wheatear - Iraq (not on itinerary)
Caspian Tit - Azerbaijan (not on itinerary)
Algerian Nuthatch - Algeria (not on itinerary)
Pygmy Sunbird - Chad (not on itinerary)
Red-billed Firefinch - Algeria (not on itinerary)
Black-headed Munia - extinct? (Portugal)
African Silverbill - Algeria (not on itinerary)
Pallas's Reed Bunting - Polar Urals (not on itinerary)

All the best

Last edited:
Steller's Eider - Varanger

If they don't fancy the much longer hike north to Varanger, this is fairly easy in winter just a short hop from their home base - on Saaremaa, Estonia.

However, they really should have done in one of those strange gaps they had in the early winter period - if very mild, it might not be reliable in Estonia before the New Year.

Leach's SP + Berthelot's Pipit were the last Madeira additions
Bishop + Weaver today
Any category C left?

They should definitely tick Blue-crowned Parakeet as well given it's a certain addition to the category C over the next few years. They've been breeding in the wild for quite some time now.

Last edited:
And a classy #700...

The 10th vulture we checked as we came down to Tarifa in Southern Spain was this Ruppels vulture our year tick number 700!!! As I'm writing this Erik found another one... There must be a few around.

And a classy #700...

The 10th vulture we checked as we came down to Tarifa in Southern Spain was this Ruppels vulture our year tick number 700!!! As I'm writing this Erik found another one... There must be a few around.

As long as #701, #702 and #703 are classy too ;)

Nice.

And a classy #700...

Although there are usually several Rüppell's Vultures around the Tarifa area in late August/Sept you have to be very lucky indeed to hit the pay dirt with the 10th vulture you look at but then they were still luckier to get Eleonora's in the same area.

American Herring Gull

I don't remember the details of this, so was the Herring Gull they ticked safely reidentified as European? Shouldn't they then erase their tick? Or is the bird still open to debate?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back