• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Please help identify this bird (1 Viewer)

tommynthompson

tommynthompson
I saw many birds today and this is the only one I could not identify. Thank you.

Attachments

• _MG_2478.jpg
    _MG_2478.jpg
    793.9 KB · Views: 97
  • _MG_2479.jpg
    _MG_2479.jpg
    720.7 KB · Views: 110
thank you Peter. I actually looked at that online and could not positively say it was. But your expertise and the fact that I identified a male today in close proximity confirms it. Thanks again.

Agree on the ID, though a bit unusual to see them on the top of a conifer and not in marshy area.

BTW, PLEASE state the country where´s the photo from in the headline of your threads. That is not too much work, IMO.

Yes. agree female Red winged blackbird
not at all unusual to see in a conifer, from bald cypress in the south,
to white pine east and northward, to red pine in the west

[...]
not at all unusual to see in a conifer, from bald cypress in the south,
to white pine east and northward, to red pine in the west
:eek!:
Though a handfull birding tours to Canada I never saw Red-winged Blackbirds in conifers, just around marshy areas and breeding also in deciduous trees at the shore area.
Thanks for the info, Bill!

Whenever I've seen them in conifers, it's been next to a swamp or pond. You'd almost never see them in an upland conifer forest away from water.

This is exactly the lansdscape I observed the blackbird. It was down a road along a power line easement with shrubs and pines on one side like the one in the photograph and cypress on the other side. The male of the species was observed sitting on a branch of tree located within the swamp.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back