• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ricoh 7x21 ZCF (1 Viewer)

Ignatz

Hello, I'm a new member but I've been reading your forum for a while and have learned a lot. Now I have a question. What do you know about the Ricoh 7x21 ZCF ? Thanks!

Hi Ignatz,:hi:

Welcome to Bird Forum!

Can you give us more information about the binocular? Such as what it looks like and any printing on it and the like. Ricoh now owns Pentax and sells its binoculars under the Pentax name.

There is a Pentax 8x21 UCF R binocular which looks like this:

http://www.us.ricoh-imaging.com/sport-optics/products/UCF_R_8x21 The CF R means Center Focus Reverse Porro prism.

ZCF usually meant traditional porro prism binoculars (The CF meant Center Focus) which looked like this Pentax 8x30 binocular:

http://www.us.ricoh-imaging.com/sport-optics/products/PCF_CW_8x30

Bob

Last edited:
Hi Ignatz,
Looks like a great fun binocular.
The markings maybe distance?
Enjoy using it.
I would.

P.S.
Ignazio Porro invented this prism type, most appropriate.

Last edited:
Here's a photo of a circa 1990 Ricoh binocular brochure. The 7x50 is clearly the same binocular that was sold by Orion Telescopes under the "Adlerblick" brand name, so it's likely the same Japanese maker produced both the Orions and Ricohs. Looks like the eye relief is very short on the 7x21.

My recollection is that the Ricohs were never widely available and only lasted a few years. I saw the 7x21 and picked up the brochure at a local camera shop, back when we still had local camera shops.

Henry

Attachments

• DSC_0594.JPG
    DSC_0594.JPG
    259.8 KB · Views: 179
Last edited:
Hi Ignatz,

That's a nice piece, with a good size focus wheel and a good weight for it's size. You could easily find a lot of use for such a neat bino.

Best wishes,

That is one neat little binocular!:t:

The brochure says it has a "user adjustable distance estimating scale" and as a 7x it should have very generous depth of field so when you are, say, focused sharply on a Robin on your lawn you can estimate how far it is from you.

Bob

Yes, Binastro, they are fun. A friend said they are adorable. The markings are distance but they're not set properly and I'm reluctant to touch the incredably small screw that holds it in place. That's great information about Porro. Now I have three reasons for my user name.
Chris

Hi Henry,
I'm so glad you saved that brochure; it's the only information I've seen about these binoculars. What eye relief, I use them without glasses and my eyelashes touch the lens.
Thanks for the photo of the brochure, Chris

Hello Samandag,
It focuses nicely. I suspect the large wheel helps. I could find a lot of use for them if I had the confidence to take them outside.
Chris

Hi Bob,
Thanks for the welcome. I think the "user adjustable distance estimating scale" would be useful if this user obtained the right screwdriver and had the nerves to use it.
Chris

Last edited:
Hello Samandag,
It focuses nicely. I suspect the large wheel helps. I could find a lot of use for them if I had the confidence to take them outside.
Chris

Agoraphobia, Chris, or just don't want to drop them ? Just kidding ;), for these I'd look to a nice belt case with a magnetic closure to the flap and have them near to hand.

I guess the high light levels where you are will aid viewing with the comparatively small objective.

Large focus wheels are good in my world, it certainly helps when wearing gloves in cold weather, and for such a gem I guess the fine focus is really easy.

Best wishes,

Agoraphobia, Chris, or just don't want to drop them ? Just kidding ;), for these I'd look to a nice belt case with a magnetic closure to the flap and have them near to hand.

I guess the high light levels where you are will aid viewing with the comparatively small objective.

Large focus wheels are good in my world, it certainly helps when wearing gloves in cold weather, and for such a gem I guess the fine focus is really easy.

Best wishes,

It's always a shock when one drops something. Eventually I will take them outside.
The desert at 3500ft is very bright; pinhole binoculars would work here. What's it like in East Anglia?
Focusing is easy, holding them is hard.

That's a very unique and cute little porro...don't ever sell it.
It is adorable as your friend said.

That reads very much as an 'I'd like one too' post, Annabeth, and why not :t:

The desert at 3500ft is very bright; pinhole binoculars would work here. What's it like in East Anglia?

High summer aside we enjoy all the delights low light intensity here (comparatively high latitude) and being past the autumnal equinox now my main bins are light gatherers like 7x42 or 8.5x45 or bigger. FYI and apologies for going off-topic there is a new polarised binocular from Byfield Optics that would work very well in your world (there's a review in the BF Equipment reviews or go google).

That little gem you bought looks in mint condition, nice find.

Ignatz,
I came across a 7x21 by Adler called Carton Lux or it is a model by Carton called Adler. It is identical to the one you showed, without the distance indication on the focussing wheel. It seems to be made for the German market since it mentions "winkel" 7,1 degrees FOV or it is meant to suggest that it is made in Germany. The last suggestion does not seem likely, since somewhere else is printed "Japan MB".

Ignatz,
I came across a 7x21 by Adler called Carton Lux or it is a model by Carton called Adler. It is identical to the one you showed, without the distance indication on the focussing wheel. It seems to be made for the German market since it mentions "winkel" 7,1 degrees FOV or it is meant to suggest that it is made in Germany. The last suggestion does not seem likely, since somewhere else is printed "Japan MB".

The Adlerblick Fernglasser seemed to enjoy a nice ride for a while, here in the States. But, it was made by Carton in Japan.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back