Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Question about seawatching at Pendeen, Cornwall

Old Sunday 4th September 2016, 11:55   #1
wolfbirder

Location: Wolverhampton - the true original Capital of the Black Country
Question about seawatching at Pendeen, Cornwall

In the right conditions, can some one advise where the larger shearwaters are best seen?

Silly question maybe, but when I was there (only been once), watching hundreds of shearwaters streaming past from the lighthouse, there were two lanes of bird traffic, one around and just past the three prominent rocks (pictured below), and then a lane of bird traffic a further distance out.

Which of the two lanes do most of the larger shearwaters favour?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pendeen .jpg
Views:	100
Size:	543.4 KB
ID:	597326  
Fav Birds - Hen/Pallid/Monty Harrier, Gyrfalcon, Great Grey Owl, Hobby, Golden Eagle, Merlin, SE Owl, Pom Skua, Hawfinch, Wryneck, Redstart, Shrikes, Roller, Bee-eater's, Nightjar, Smew, GN & BT Diver, Spotted Redshank, any Warblers (especially yank ones)!
Old Sunday 4th September 2016, 16:51   #2
KenM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfbirder View Post
In the right conditions, can some one advise where the larger shearwaters are best seen?

Silly question maybe, but when I was there (only been once), watching hundreds of shearwaters streaming past from the lighthouse, there were two lanes of bird traffic, one around and just past the three prominent rocks (pictured below), and then a lane of bird traffic a further distance out.

Which of the two lanes do most of the larger shearwaters favour?
Never been Nick!....perhaps wind strength and direction might be a determinant?

Cheers
Old Monday 5th September 2016, 18:14   #3
cafe birder

A couple of weeks ago I concentrated solely on the area just behind the rocks and missed several large shears seen by others so I would guess the farther out areas are better. I was not looking for large shears however so didn't mind. I also managed to miss a pim inside the rocks from my very low position so best approach is to sit with main crowd just in front of lighthouse wall . You will see everyone once you get level with lowest point of the wall

Cheers Howard
Old Wednesday 7th September 2016, 19:04   #4
wolfbirder

Location: Wolverhampton - the true original Capital of the Black Country
Thanks for your thoughts Ken, Howard.

I'm sure the wind does affect them.

Reason I ask is that the once I went - two years ago - 35 Great Shearwaters and 20 plus Cory's were recorded as seen that day.

I only managed one good view of a Great and 3 crappy, brief ones of Cory's in the buffeting, on-shore wind. Clearly I was doing something wrong, I was positioned by the wall with all the others, but only managed to get to grips with the birds around lunchtime when I moved lower down to the sea level. I'm not sure if I was looking further enough out, or whether my scope was just struggling (everyone else seemed to have Swav's).

It annoys me now, I'm not sure why I failed to get to grips with things when I was there!! (:-

Probably because I was tired, half brain dead, tired eyes etc.

I do think as Howard says, a lot of the larger shearwaters were in the second lane /wave, further out.
Fav Birds - Hen/Pallid/Monty Harrier, Gyrfalcon, Great Grey Owl, Hobby, Golden Eagle, Merlin, SE Owl, Pom Skua, Hawfinch, Wryneck, Redstart, Shrikes, Roller, Bee-eater's, Nightjar, Smew, GN & BT Diver, Spotted Redshank, any Warblers (especially yank ones)!

Last edited by wolfbirder : Wednesday 7th September 2016 at 19:08.
Old Wednesday 7th September 2016, 20:56   #5
lewis20126

Hope this helps.

cheers, alan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pendeen .jpg
Views:	127
Size:	681.9 KB
ID:	597579  
Advertisement

Rate This Thread