• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds using brush piles (1 Viewer)

jloomy

Hello,
I live in north central Pennsylvania near the NY border. I've created huge brush piles next to the creek and fields. I see the birds hanging out and using the brush for perching and as a staging area to troll the creek. I need to burn these piles before the fields turn brown in September. My question is, would any of the species listed below have nests in the piles and if so, would the babies be at the age of flight? Most of the birds below are frequent fliers to the piles.
Grackles, Red Wing Blackbirds, House Sparrows, Starlings, Goldfinches, Red-Bellied Woodpeckers, Mourning Doves, Tree Swallow, Barn Swallow and Killdeer.
Thanks so much for reading,
Jerome

Hi Jerome, welcome to BF. OK so you're on the other side of the Atlantic from me but our seasons and breeding times will be similar. I'd say with some confidence that all species will have finished with their nests by September, even those that had multiple broods.

cheers,
Andy

Well, some of those species won't nest in brush piles (killdeer lay eggs on open ground, and many of the others prefer a fully-enclosed dead tree or streetlight) but others might. (Red-winged blackbirds, for example, like to nest in reeds or thick brush over water, but will also nest in brush *near* water.) And there are several species not on your list that would probably love to nest in your piles.
Generally birds start nesting as soon as they arrive in the spring, and a brood will fledge in three to six weeks (much longer for larger birds, but we're talking about small songbirds like sparrows). The problem, from your perspective, is that many species will then go ahead and start a second brood, and sometimes a third.
I don't know how much time a fledgling (and his parents) needs to fatten up for migration, but I'd guess that any songbird still in the nest after a hard frost is probably doomed. I doubt that any time before then is completely risk-free.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back