Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Seawatching, Cornwall.

Old Wednesday 24th August 2005, 10:37   #1
JWN Andrewes
Poor Judge of Pasta.

Seawatching, Cornwall.

Looking ot the weather forecast for tomorrow (Thurs 25th August) a spell of seawatching off Cornwall is mighty tempting. At the moment I'm thinking Pendeen first light; with the strong westerlies looking likely to contain a slight northerly component I've been told this is the ideal site (with Porthgwarra better when there's an element of south in the westerlies). Anyone with more experience and/or site knowledge out there who can comment on this?

Cheers

James
Old Wednesday 24th August 2005, 11:03   #2
Darrell Clegg

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWN Andrewes
Looking ot the weather forecast for tomorrow (Thurs 25th August) a spell of seawatching off Cornwall is mighty tempting. At the moment I'm thinking Pendeen first light; with the strong westerlies looking likely to contain a slight northerly component I've been told this is the ideal site (with Porthgwarra better when there's an element of south in the westerlies). Anyone with more experience and/or site knowledge out there who can comment on this?

Cheers

James
Pendeen should be good tomorrow - the local forecasts are all giving the wind as NW

DArrell
Old Wednesday 24th August 2005, 13:58   #3
dan pointon
Can't Stop

Yep, looking at tomorrows forecast Pendeen should be the place to be, wish i could be there myself..........!
Old Wednesday 24th August 2005, 14:26   #4
JWN Andrewes
Poor Judge of Pasta.

Thanks chaps, I'll let you know how it goes

James
Old Friday 26th August 2005, 10:42   #5
JWN Andrewes
Poor Judge of Pasta.

Well, the winds weren't as strong as I'd expected, and the car decided Cornwall was the perfect place to demand a new aternator (in the bottleneck queue at Indian Queens to be precise) but I still came away from the day well satisfied. Cory's were passing, though they were distant, as was the breeding plumage Sabine's Gull (don't know if you ever read this Mark, but if you do - thanks again, good spot). There were plenty of Manx good and close though, with a handful of Sootys and Balearics with them. Also a couple each of Storm Petrels and Bonxies and half a dozen or so Arctic Skuas. Not a classic sea watch perhaps, but definitely well worth it.

Thanks again.

James
Old Friday 26th August 2005, 19:25   #6
Darrell Clegg

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWN Andrewes
Well, the winds weren't as strong as I'd expected, and the car decided Cornwall was the perfect place to demand a new aternator (in the bottleneck queue at Indian Queens to be precise) but I still came away from the day well satisfied. Cory's were passing, though they were distant, as was the breeding plumage Sabine's Gull (don't know if you ever read this Mark, but if you do - thanks again, good spot). There were plenty of Manx good and close though, with a handful of Sootys and Balearics with them. Also a couple each of Storm Petrels and Bonxies and half a dozen or so Arctic Skuas. Not a classic sea watch perhaps, but definitely well worth it.

Thanks again.

James
Small world James - they were my jump leads!!!!

Darrell
Old Saturday 27th August 2005, 10:25   #7
JWN Andrewes
Poor Judge of Pasta.

Outstanding!!!! Well, what can I say, many, many thanks for your help and I hope you had a good seawatch! Did you get any of the Greats passing through? I was so relieved just to get home I'm not remotely miffed I missed them!!

Carry on spotting!!

James
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: