• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon G3X for Birding (1 Viewer)

Wow these are great shots, especially for handheld and using such a high zoom. I just bought a G3X off of ebay and am awaiting delivery and am very hopeful I can get some shots like these. If you have any settings advice please share - I had (D)SLR cameras in the past but when I looked into the cost of modernizing I decided to go this route instead. I know it is a compromise but if my shots look anything like yours I will be totally satisfied, especially not having to tote around a large lens.

I just installed Lightroom and intend to make a go at developing my own RAW as well (I know the burst rate on the G3X is glacial for that, but I'm at peace with it).

Wow these are great shots, especially for handheld and using such a high zoom. I just bought a G3X off of ebay and am awaiting delivery and am very hopeful I can get some shots like these. If you have any settings advice please share - I had (D)SLR cameras in the past but when I looked into the cost of modernizing I decided to go this route instead. I know it is a compromise but if my shots look anything like yours I will be totally satisfied, especially not having to tote around a large lens.

I just installed Lightroom and intend to make a go at developing my own RAW as well (I know the burst rate on the G3X is glacial for that, but I'm at peace with it).

Hi Pete. Thanks for the kind words. You are correct in your statement that the burst rate is glacial in RAW. I wouldn't really call it a burst rate. It's around one shot per second. Now, that is not an issue for me, I am more than happy shooting in fine quality JPG. I know this gives less options in post photo editing, but I don't do much of that. Just a touch of sharpening here and there.

I tend to shoot in aperture mode a lot, switching to Shutter priority to freeze movement on occasions. I also find that the Auto mode is pretty good in difficult lighting situations. If I really want a recored shot, I try my own settings first, then rattle a few off in Auto just to try and optimism my chances of a record shot.

I really am not a photographer concentrating on wildlife pictures, I'm a nature enthusiast that carries a camera, and this camera is ideal for what I do.

I'm sure you will enjoy your purchase and look forward to seeing some of your pictures on here.

Here are a few more I took the other day. All with the G3X except the Tree Sparrows which I digiscoped.

http://moochersmoor.blogspot.co.uk/2016/04/around-locality.html

Attachments

• Munt.jpg
    Munt.jpg
    665 KB · Views: 201
That's great - maybe I will have to see if RAW is really worth it for me, if these are jpgs. I'm still figuring out lightroom and the camera features (it arrived yesterday) but as soon as I get a chance to get some bird pics I will post some.

That's great - maybe I will have to see if RAW is really worth it for me, if these are jpgs. I'm still figuring out lightroom and the camera features (it arrived yesterday) but as soon as I get a chance to get some bird pics I will post some.

I look forward to seeing some of your pictures. I can confirm all my pictures are JPG's.

I'm like the people in previous posts, not a photographer but when I go out birdwatching or traveling would like to be able to take good quality photos (without having to carry massive lenses with me). That was one of the main reasons for going for G3 X - quality zoom lens with a bit bigger sensor in a 'pocket size' package (if you have big pockets |:d| ). I've recently got Lightroom as well and planning to experiment with some post-processing with that.

I setup a Flickr photostream where all photos are from this camera. If anyone is interested to see it can be found here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/50507021@N07/ - not much there yet but will upload more when get a chance to go out.

I'm like the people in previous posts, not a photographer but when I go out birdwatching or traveling would like to be able to take good quality photos (without having to carry massive lenses with me). That was one of the main reasons for going for G3 X - quality zoom lens with a bit bigger sensor in a 'pocket size' package (if you have big pockets |:d| ). I've recently got Lightroom as well and planning to experiment with some post-processing with that.

I setup a Flickr photostream where all photos are from this camera. If anyone is interested to see it can be found here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/50507021@N07/ - not much there yet but will upload more when get a chance to go out.

Some great pictures there. I particularly like your Yellow Hammer shot, really sharp.

Keep posting your pictures.

Well, I have been absorbed in learning how to use my new camera - and I have to say even more absorbed in Lightroom which is a revelation to me. Just making order out of my 15,000 pictures was a huge task. The development module is awesome.

I haven't had a chance to get out and about with the camera so have only taken some yard shots. Here's a few of the usual suspects. Nothing amazing yet but I am having a load of fun and looking forward to cataloging all the birds I've seen. More excuses to get into the woods! :)

https://www.flickr.com/gp/140550549@N08/U5h5uA

Please let me know if you have any comments or criticisms - I am still learning.

I added some more pictures - I feel I am getting better but any suggestions for improving these would be welcomed. All of this has given me a taste for photography so I will probably end up getting a giant DSLR to supplement my G3X.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/140550549@N08/sets/72157666393306940/

I think it is possible to get very sharp pictures with this camera. Almost all of my pictures are heavily cropped and still there are some decent results.

There is nothing wrong with those pictures. Whatever you are doing is working. Keep on enjoying the camera. A nice set of pictures.

A wonderful blog posting - great stuff!

Well worth a look for the magnificent pix of the badger family!

Cheers
Mike

I have been very pleased with this camera. Was planning to purchase a 'real' telephoto lens but having really good results with this camera which is much easier to carry around. It takes great zoom-macro also.
See my site on Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/nwchadwik
Great to see some helpful hints on using camera.

I have been very pleased with this camera. Was planning to purchase a 'real' telephoto lens but having really good results with this camera which is much easier to carry around. It takes great zoom-macro also.
See my site on Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/nwchadwik
Great to see some helpful hints on using camera.

A collection of excellent photographs. This camera is so versatile. I have never regretted the purchase.

I have been using the Canon G3X as a general nature camera rather than a dedicated birding camera. I am stil pleased with the results. Recently I have been trying various ways to photograph badgers in almost complete darkness.

http://http://moochersmoor.blogspot.co.uk/2016/10/a-privilege.html?m=1

Great captures! How did you get them to accept the photography noise?
They are normally pretty aware of what is happening around them.

PS Good on you for fighting the absurd badger cull scheme.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back