• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pas de Calais/Picardie (1 Viewer)

Tranquility Base

Just back from a short break: INCREDIBLE! White Stork, Cattle Egret, Spoonbill, Night Heron, Little Egret: all on the nest at an amazing Herony! Black Woodie, Fan-tailed Warbler, loads of Marsh Warblers......... All in three days!
PM me if you're going over soon for locations!

Attachments

• Night Heron.jpg
    Night Heron.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 220
Wonderful. Won't be on the nest by then, obviously, but I'm going over in September to the Baie de la Somme area. Much to look forward to.

If you look closely, you can see LOADS of nests in this photo! You really should have a look!
Also: here's ANOTHER good reason to visit! LOL!

Attachments

• colony.jpg
    colony.jpg
    149.1 KB · Views: 212
  • cellar.jpg
    cellar.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 196
Tim Allwood said:
you been at that Sancerre already?
where's the pic?
c'mon, Mr C.
pay attention and concentrate at the back please
aha!
there it is...
atb
Tim

Non! I'm keeping the Sancerre for 'best'! Just cooked a really nice Poulet a la Normande (with Quorn!) and garlic crushed potatoes: the Muscadet de Sevre et Maine a goute tres bon, je t'assure, Tim!
Enjoy yer beans on toast, M8! LOL!

Any warbler call experts out there???????
At Camier we staked out an LBJ in a bush: it had a VERY loud call a bit like a Reed Bunting / Willow=Chiff, followed by a very frog-like croak! It did this for aqn HOUR!
'sweep, sweep....trrrrrrrrrrrr sweep, sweep........trrrrrrrrrr!'
Any ideas?

Just returned from Texel, Netherlands, where we had a Marsh Warbler imitating Reed/Sedge/Willow/Chiff interspersed with Song thrush ?

davebroadley said:
Just returned from Texel, Netherlands, where we had a Marsh Warbler imitating Reed/Sedge/Willow/Chiff interspersed with Song thrush ?
We had quite a few Marsh Warblers. but they just sounded like Marsh Warblers!

The wine shops alone are worth considering a trip, don't call me a philistine but I'd love to stock up on red Pineau des Charentes!

Andrew said:
The wine shops alone are worth considering a trip, don't call me a philistine but I'd love to stock up on red Pineau des Charentes!
Philistine?????? Why? Whatever blows your frock up! I'm rather partial to a rough little Crozes Hermitage or Chateauneuf du Pape myself! But white's the stuff for the Summer! Sancerre, Pouilly Fume / Fuisse or a gritty little Muscadet de Sevre et Maine! Yum! Or a few bottles of fizzy! Cafe de Paris, Kieffer or Cremant d'Alsace! Formidable!
Best place I found (ignore Cite Europe!) to buy a few boxes is Auchan at Boulogne St Martin! Excellent 'friterie' in the carpark, too! It has a sign asking you not to p*** on the back wall! LOL!

Some people look down on the fortifieds but they do the job don't they? ;)

A while since I have had a decent bottle as I am saving the pennies for a trip to North Ron where the bar bill is expected to be high! Eh Tommo? ;)

Clouseau said:
Philistine?????? Why? Whatever blows your frock up! I'm rather partial to a rough little Crozes Hermitage or Chateauneuf du Pape myself! But white's the stuff for the Summer! Sancerre, Pouilly Fume / Fuisse or a gritty little Muscadet de Sevre et Maine! Yum! Or a few bottles of fizzy! Cafe de Paris, Kieffer or Cremant d'Alsace! Formidable!
Best place I found (ignore Cite Europe!) to buy a few boxes is Auchan at Boulogne St Martin! Excellent 'friterie' in the carpark, too! It has a sign asking you not to p*** on the back wall! LOL!

Sancerre, Pouilly Fume? Why, they're both no more than half an hour up the road from here and me and the mrs. absolutely love the stuff...... erm..excuse me a mo..."Yes, dear...what! We've run out of Sancerre and Pouilly! Oh deary, deary me, better get the car out and nip up there...and don't forget the binoculars!"

Clouseau said:
Got a spare room? LOL!

Well, it so happens we have! Can't guarantee that we can match the exceptional list of sightings you drew up around Calais but we do have our moments, you know. An Ortolan Bunting popped up in front of my viewfinder whilst birding with a friend this morning, just to prove that there is something out there!
;)

Just to remind those interested that I've put together some info on birding sites in the Pas de calais area which all are welcome to use. They're available online from a couple of websites - just type in 'Cross Channel Birding & John Cantelo' to Google and you should find the relevant details. Failing this email me directly & I'll send details, John

John Cantelo said:
Just to remind those interested that I've put together some info on birding sites in the Pas de calais area which all are welcome to use. They're available online from a couple of websites - just type in 'Cross Channel Birding & John Cantelo' to Google and you should find the relevant details. Failing this email me directly & I'll send details, John

GO LOOK AT JOHN'S SITES OR I'LL COME ROUND AND TALK WIV YOU!
(Because they really are the BEST!)

it looks like nightingale calls !
cheers,
Didier

Clouseau said:
Any warbler call experts out there???????
At Camier we staked out an LBJ in a bush: it had a VERY loud call a bit like a Reed Bunting / Willow=Chiff, followed by a very frog-like croak! It did this for aqn HOUR!
Any ideas?

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back