• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A Russian paper (1 Viewer)

l_raty

laurent raty
...on etymology. Probably most readers here will have more problems with the text than with the Latin names it is supposed to explain ;). But anyway:

Паевский ВА. 2016. Об этимологии латинских названий птиц. Русск. орнитол. журн. 25(1340):3527-3536.
Payevsky VA. 2016. On the etymology of the Latin names of birds. Russk. Ornitol. Zhurn. 25(1340):3527-3536.
pdf: click "РОЖ-2016-1340.pdf" [here], then the "Скачать" button.

Last edited:
End of Paper: Литература [Literature]:

Коблик Е.А., Архипов В.Ю. 2014. Фауна птиц стран Северной Евразии в границах бывшего СССР. Списки видов. М.: 1-171.

David N., Gosselin M. 2014. Variable species-group names and their gender endings. Pp. 649-652 in: Dickinson E.C., Christidis L. (Eds.), 2014. The Howard and Moore Complete Checklist of the Birds of the World. 4th ed. Vol. 2. Passerines. Eastbourne, U.K.

Dickinson E.C., Christidis L. (eds.) 2014. The Howard and Moore Complete Checklist of the Birds of the World. 4th ed. Vol. 2. Passerines. Eastbourne: 1-752.

Dickinson E.C., Remsen J.V., Jr. (eds.) 2013. The Howard and Moore Complete Checklist of the Birds of the World. 4th ed. Vol. 1. Non-Passerines. Eastbourne: 1-461.

International Commission on Zoological Nomenclature. 1999. International Code of Zoo- logical Nomenclature. Internat. Trust for Zool. Nomenclature, London.

Jobbing, J.A. 2010. The Helm dictionary of scientific bird names. London: 1-432. 

______

Russian Etymologies of Palearctic Birds

Here's another (somewhat more recent) Russian Publication by Payevsky ...

Владимир А. Паевский. ЭТИМОЛОГИЯ НАЗВАНИЙ ПТИЦ ПАЛЕАРКТИКИ. РОССИЙСКАЯ АКАДЕМИЯ НАУК ЗООЛОГИЧЕСКИЙ ИНСТИТУТ. Товарищество научных изданий КМК Москва ― Санкт-Петербург (2018) / Vladimir A. Payevsky. ETYMOLOGY OF THE NAMES OF PALEARCTIC BIRDS. RUSSIAN ACADEMY OF SCIENCES ZOOLOGICAL INSTITUTE. KMK Scientific Press Moscow – Saint Petersburg (2018)

... with an English Abstract:

Etymology of the names of Palearctic birds. Moscow–Saint-Petersburg: KMK Scientific Press, 2018. — 289 p.

The book consists of three sections: 1) systematic check-list of birds of the Palearctic; 2) etymology of Latin names of the birds; 3) semantics and etymology of Russian names of the birds. At the beginning of each section the basic principles for their writing explains. In the check-list of birds the sequence of orders and other taxa, as well as their Latin names are given in according to extensive database information system about all birds of the world (Clements et al., 2017), with some modifications to the other classifications ((Del Hoyo et al., 1992−2013; Dickinson, Remsen, 2013; Dickinson, Christidis, 2014; Gill, Donsker, 2016; Boyd, 2017). This section is strongly informative. So, critical analysis of validity of its mega-taxonomic novelties including radical onces was not among objectives of this book. In the 2nd section the Latin names are listed in alphabetical order, followed in parentheses genus or species to which they belong. The Greek words are given in Latin transliteration. In the 3rd section the etymology is given only for those Russian names that are presented in the first section — check-list of birds. Their semantic value, with the external signs, ecology and voices, as well as the possible origin is given mainly on the basis of critical analysis of information from age-old and current publications.

The book is intended for ornithologists and other biologists, conservationists, students and graduate students of biological specialities, and for all those, who are interested in birds.

[here]​
In this (often missed, or simply overlooked alt. disregarded?) Russian publication we might find, some missing pieces (or even contradictory claims) for quite a few Russian (and Polish) guys commemorated in, for example, ...

berezowskii as in:
• the debated Chinese Yellow-breasted (or Azure) Tit subspecies (Parus) Cyanistes cyanus/flavipectus berezowskii PLESKE 1893 (here), as "Cyanistes berezowskii"
• the Blood Pheasant subspecies Ithaginis cruentus berezowskii BIANCHI (alt. Bianki) 1903 (here + pp.6-7 & 9) as "Ithaginis sinensis berezowskii", a k a Berezovski's Blood Pheasant
••• as well as some invalid synonyms (unchecked/unverified by me)

... explained (on p.122) as (my bolds, in blue, below):
berezowskii [Cyanistes (Parus) flavipectus, Ithaginis cruentus] Михаил Михайлович Березовский (18481912), российский орнитолог, этнограф, археолог, путе- шественник, коллектор. В период 1876–1895 гг. участвовал в 14 экспедици- ях в Центральную Азию. В 1902–1908 гг. руководил экспедициями в Китай и Центральную Азию как географ и этнограф

Enjoy!

Björn
-

Last edited:
Some other possible additions in Payevsky's paper ...

bilkevitchi as in:
• the Streaked Laughingthrush subspecies Garrulax lineatus/Trochalopteron lineatum bilkevitchi SARUDNY 1910 (here), as "Trochalopteron (Janthocincla) lineatum bilkevitchi"
• the Caucasian Greenfinch subspecies (Сarduelis) Chloris chloris bilkevitchi SARUDNY 1911 (here), as "Chloris chloris bilkevitchi"
••• as well as some invalid synonyms (unchecked/unverified by me)
... explained (on p.123) as:
bilkevitchi [Chloris (Сarduelis) chloris, Trochalopteron (Garrulax) lineatum] Станислав [Stanislav!?] Иосифович Билькевич (18641937), российский зоолог, таксидермист в Зоол. музее Казанского университета. С 1928 г. — директор основанного им краеведческого музея в Ашхабаде. Соавтор Н.А. Зарудного в 11 описаниях подвидов птиц.

birulai as in:
• the debated (valid or invalid?) Willow Ptarmigan subspecies Lagopus lagopus birulai SEREBROVSKY 1926 (here, p.513, in text + Richmond Card, here, Author/Auctor: "P. Sserebrowsky")
• the debated Vega Gull subspecies Larus argentatus/vegae birulae PLESKE 1928 (here), as "Larus argentatus birulai Sushkin", a k a "Birula's Gull ... a nomen dubium according to (here)!?
... explained (also on p.123) as:
birulai (Lagopus lagopus) Алексей [Alexey!?]Андреевич Бялыницкий-Бируля (1864–1937), российский зоолог, в 1923–1930 гг. директор Зоол. музея (института) Академии наук

bogolubovi as in:
• the Eastern Cream-colored (or Somali) Courser subspecies Cursorius cursor bogolubovi SARUDNY 1885 (here), as "Cursorius isabellinus var. Bogolubovi"
... explained (on p.124) as:
bogolubovi (Cursorius cursor) Иван Андреевич Боголюбов (1836–?), генерал-майор, директор Псковского кадетского корпуса в 1891–1902 гг., где в эти годы Н.А. Зарудный преподавал естественную историю, и пользовался покровительством Боголюбова при экспедиционных поездках в Азию (сам Боголюбов участвовал в экспедиции в 1884 г.)
To be continued ...

/B

gavrilovi as in:
• the (Pale alt. Pale Sand) Martin subspecies Riparia diluta gavrilovi LOSKOT 2001 (OD in full, unseen by me, Abstract here)
... explained (on p.148) as:
gavrilovi (Riparia diluta) Эдуард Иванович Гаврилов (19332011), советский казахстанский орнитолог, заведующий лабор. орнитологии Инст. зоол. Казахстана

kiborti as in:
• the somewhat debated Japanese Skylark subspecies Alauda arvensis/japonica kiborti ZALIESSKI 1917 (here, all in Russian), as "Alauda arvensis kiborti"
• an invalid synonym (unchecked/unverified by me)
... explained (on p.162) as:
kiborti (Alauda arvensis) Михаил Ефимович Киборт (18381916), российский коллектор, орнитолог, куратор Красноярского музея

krynicki as in:
• the Caucasian (Common/Eurasian) Jay subspecies Garrulus glandarius krynicki KALENICZENKO 1839 (here), as "Garrulus Krynicki"
... explained (on p.163) as:
krynicki (Garrulus glandarius) Иван Андреевич Криницкий (1797–1838), российский зоолог
... which ought to be the Polish naturalist Jan Andreyevich Krynitzki (a k a Krynicki, alt. Krinitski) (1797–1838), professor at the National University of Kharkiv (Kharkov). Or?

moltchanovi as in:
• the Coal Tit subspecies (Parus) Periparus ater moltchanovi MENZEBIER 1903 (here) as "Parus moltchanovi"
... explained (on p.175) as:
moltchanovi [Periparus (Parus) ater] Лев Александрович Молчанов (1878–1962), российский географ и путешественник, коллектор в Крыму
... and onwards.

Well, that's it. I haven't got time enough to go through it all, not in this detailed way. The rest I gladly leave to anyone interested. It might be worth the trouble to check quite a few (most/all) of the other Russian Eponyms (as well as ditto Toponyms and other names) ...

However; enjoy!

Björn

PS. If Mr Payevsky is fully corrects in all of the above (and the rest of it) is far, far beyond my scope and understanding. I´m simply quoting what I can spot (and somewhat understand, helped by Google Translate). No Credits on my part ... There's, for example, (as far as I can tell) an erroneous claim on the eponym johanseni, as in the Siberian Taiga Bean Goose ssp., which is commemorating Hans Johansen (1897–1973), not his Russian colleague Hermann ditto (1866–1930) as claimed on p.160 (see OD, in Ardea 39, pp.135-142, which clearly refer to Hans Johansens's Papers (of 1945 and 1949), both published in the Danish Journal Dansk Ornitologisk Forenings tidskrift (DOFT). The eponym poggei (on p.189) also seems to be a bit lost, dealing with an African explorer Pogge, while the OD (here) points towards a "Leutnant [Lieutenant] Pogge", active in China. Owing to that, read Payevsky's work with some healthy, sober scepticism.

Also bogdanovi (on p.124), and korejevi (on p.163), might, could (possibly), as well, add some bits and pieces, or straighten out some question marks, alt. remaining doubts, in the Key!
--

Last edited:
... which ought to be the Polish naturalist Jan Andreyevich Krynitzki (a k a Krynicki, alt. Krinitski) (1797–1838), professor at the National University of Kharkiv (Kharkov). Or?
In Wikipedia, he is Russian in Russian https://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/Криницкий,_Иван_Андреевич, Ukrainian in Ukrainian https://uk.wikipedia.org/wiki/Криницький_Іван_Андрійович, and a subject of the Russian Empire in French https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johann_Krynicki. (There is no Polish version.) He was born in Zvenigorodka (now Ukraine), studied in Vilnius (now Lituania), and became a professor in Kharkhov (Ukraine again); but Krynicki (this spelling; with the 'c' pronounced 'ts', like a Cyrillic 'ц') is a Polish name, thus his family presumably originated from Poland. He apparently used "Johann Krynicki" when publishing in German.

'Jan Andreyevich Krynitzki' looks like a mixture of Polish ('Jan') and romanized Russian (Polish names do not include a patronymic, and the spelling is very un-Polish -- 'Andreyevich' [should be 'Andrejewicz'], '-tzki' [should be '-cki']).

Last edited:
I believe you Laurent, and sorry for any confusion, though, if nothing else (regardless of his true original Nationality), the main thing was/is; that Mr Payevsky managed/suggested a possible, conceivable first given name, and a Death year. The rest I leave in more capable hands.

I´m sure glad Mr Kry/i/nit/z/ck/s/ki isn't one of "my guys" ;)

/B

bogolubovi (as in #4) ...

Also note that there are several claims on the internet telling us that General-Major (генерал-майор) Ivan Andreevich Bogolyubov (Иван Андреевич Боголюбов,) was born in 1831 ("27 февр. 1831"/27 February 1831) ... thus not in "1836", as claimed by Payevsky !?

If it's the same guy, or a completely different Ivan Bogolyubov, I cannot tell (I simply stare at those incomprehensible Cyrillic letters). But he seems to have hade connections to Z/Sarudny (Зарудный). Who knows?

For whatever it's worth.

/B

kiborti as in:
• the somewhat debated Japanese Skylark subspecies Alauda arvensis/japonica kiborti ZALIESSKI 1917 (here, all in Russian), as "Alauda arvensis kiborti"
• an invalid synonym (unchecked/unverified by me)
... explained (on p.162) as:
Anyway translated:
Mikhail Efimovich Kibort (1838-1916), Russian collector, ornithologist, curator of the Krasnoyarsk Museum

The Eponym Dictionary of Birds claims:
Eurasian Skylark ssp. Alauda arvensis kiborti Zaliesski, 1917
M. Y. Kibort (DNF) was a Polish ornithologist and Conservator of Krasnoyarsk Museum, Siberia (1893–1903), where he was in exile.

The Key to Scientific Names
Mikhał Yerofimowicz Kibort (fl. 1901) Polish exile in Siberia, archaeologist, collector, Conservator of Krasnoyarsk Mus. (subsp. Alauda arvensis, syn. Cinclus cinclus leucogaster).

If Russian or Polish that's the open question.

Last edited:
Dedication in OD:
Называю новую форму Alauda arvensis kiborti subsp. nov. въ честь покойнаго орнитолога-любителя М. Е. Киборта.
("I name the new form Alauda arvensis kiborti subsp. nov. in honour of the deceased amateur ornithologist M. E. Kibort.")

According to the second excerpt cited in the second link (from the Сибирская советская энциклопедия -- "Siberian Soviet Encyclopedia" -- original here), he was born in European Russia. (But the third link suggests his was arrested and exiled due to assistance provided to Polish insurgents, so he may have been linked to Poland in some way nevertheless.) He was studying at the медико-хирургическая академия (which is in St. Petersburg) when he was arrested.

"Mikhał Yerofimowicz Kibort" is rather odd for a "Polish" name. First, it looks distinctly East-Slavic in structure, with a given name, a patronymic in -wicz (= -вич/-vich), and a family name -- Polish names don't normally include a patronymic. Second, the spelling is only half Polish-like -- "kh" is not used in Polish, and the letter "y" never acts as a consonant: something like "Michał Jerofimowicz" would have been more expectable.

Last edited:
Re Krynicki: According to Ancestry a person of this name was born in Slotwiny (Poland) with a different birth date perhaps there are two people with the same name? One Polish and one born in Zvenigorodka (Ukraine).

Jan Andreyevich Krynitzki (a k a Krynicki, alt. Krinitski) (1797–1838),

Birth 19 Dec 1797 Slotwiny, Malopolskie, Poland
Marriage 14 Feb 1836 Slotwiny, Malopolskie, Poland
Record information.
Father Andreas Krynicki
Spouse Sophie Malarczyk (Born 1818)

Last edited:
One Polish and one born in Zvenigorodka (Ukraine).
There are or have been, undoubtedly, quite a few "Jan Krynicki" in Poland, but I think you can be certain that none of them was ever really named "Andreyevich". ("Andreas" and "Sophie" do not sound like genuine Polish either, by the way.)

There is a fairly detailed obit of "our" Krynicki, in French, published shortly after his dead by Kaleniczenko (the author of Garrulus krynicki), here.
Among Krynicki's publications cited there, the earliest one was in Polish; quite a few manuscript works which he left are also cited, several of which are said to have been in Polish too; this suggests Polish may have been his mother tongue. Although born in the Government of Kiev, Kaleniczenko reports he was buried in the "nouveau cimetierre étranger", i.e., a cemetery dedicated to foreigners.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back