• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

binocular suggestions (1 Viewer)

jarena0

Jason Arena
Hi, I am still a newbie when it comes to optics, as well as birding in general, but I'm looking to upgrade from my $50 binoculars to something more quality and am willing to spend up to $500. Though, I am leaning towards purchasing the Nikon 5 Monarchs, I am wondering if anyone can direct me to some other good selections for that price range. I am willing to buy used binoculars, as-well. Thanks.

Hi,

simple answer - the Monarch 7 8x30 should be available for less than 500 USD and does a lot of things right.

For more specific advice, we would need some more info - especially if you wear glasses while using bins, if your interpupulary distance (measure left edge of left eyecup to left edge of right eyecup of your old bins when they're set up for you) is very low or high.

Used can be a good option - you can score sth really nice for 500 with a bit of luck and patience... but of course it's hard to give advice as it really depends on what is on offer and where... My pair of SE 10x42 cost me 500 USD used, but that was lucky and has been some years ago...

PS: the classifieds in here do have nice offers at times... like my SE back then. Currently there is a pair of Zeiss Conquest HD 8x42 for $550 in there but I think there is already s.b. interested... but worth looking at should it not go through.
You should also keep an eye on the Binocular Bargains thread in this subforum - sometimes nice deals...

Joachim

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back