• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nevada & Arizona Birds (1 Viewer)

ednamex

Need help with these. First 2 are from Las Vegas area. The others are from Utah mountains
Ed

Attachments

• lv1.JPG
    lv1.JPG
    530.8 KB · Views: 96
  • lv2.JPG
    lv2.JPG
    793 KB · Views: 68
  • jl3.JPG
    jl3.JPG
    80.1 KB · Views: 82
  • nr2.JPG
    nr2.JPG
    37.9 KB · Views: 51
  • nr1-1.jpg
    nr1-1.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 49
1 - I see a hint of a crest, so I'm for Juniper Titmouse, with some orange food in its beak (plus a bit more of the same on the rock in front of it). Too short-tailed for Bushtit, surely?

Agree on the others.

#1 I'm not sure if the bird is leucistic or if it's just a bad exposure. My impression was a titmouse (Juniper would fit well), with something yellow in its beak. A bushtit is another strong contender - I'm not familiar enough with either bird to decide between the two on the basis of this photo.

edit to add: "this photo" includes a blur on the head that might or might not be a crest... any other photos would help. Edit 2: Nutcracker makes an excellent point about tail length. I don't think that can be put down to blur.

Last edited:
My best guess is a juvenile Verdin for #1. #3 is the one I would put down as a possible escapee; I can't think of any normal North American bird with those very bright yellow undertail coverts, plain gray belly and breast, and and that very plain face. The undertail coverts provoke a vague memory of some bulbuls, but I am not at all familiar with that group.

3 is an orange-crowned warbler

Tom, I see how the bright undertail coverts can suggest OC Warbler.

I think this bird has too hefty a bill (wrong color as well) for a warbler, and I think tail shape fits Western Tanager better too. I would have expected more of an eye-ring to be visible in this shot on an Orange-crowned Warbler, too.

There is a photo in the Stokes Guide which shows a very similar dull Western Tanager with bright undertail coverts.

Maybe I'm wrong given the quality of the pic but #3 looks flycatchery to me, probably a Say's Phoebe or less likely a female Vermilion.

Regarding #3, having done an image search for juvenile Western Tanagers, I do find some similar to this bird, though I have never seen a live one this gray below myself.

Regarding #1, I see Nutcracker's points. Ed, can you tell us where in the Las Vegas area the bird was seen? If it was in the mountains, I think Juniper Titmouse is a possibility; if it was on the valley floor, I still think Verdin is a reasonable guess.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back