• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

"Sparrman's Duck" (1 Viewer)

Björn Bergenholtz

(former alias "Calalp")
Sweden
As far as I understand it the invalid name "Anas Sparrmanni" (sic) LATHAM 1790 (later, also by, Latham called "Sparrman's Duck") was apparently based on the equally invalid “Anas alandica” SPARRMAN 1788, shot (by a Dr. Lindroth) in the Finnish (at that time Swedish) archipelago of Åland in the Baltic Sea (thereby "alandica") … but the question is:

Isn't that (see attached Plate) simply a female specimen of (Common/Northern) Pintail Anas a. acuta LINNAEUS 1758 … !?

If so presumably a young specimen (darker bill and more contrasting head/neck-pattern). Compare with, for example; this photo or this one (even if the age of those certain Ducks isn´t mentioned).

Anyone with extensive experience of young female Pintails disagree?

PS. Link to full volume of Sparrman's Museum Carlsonianum III (here)

Attachments

• MuseumCarlsoniaIII - A. alandica.jpg
    MuseumCarlsoniaIII - A. alandica.jpg
    281.7 KB · Views: 74
Do you have any reason to doubt?
Anas Sparrmanni Latham, 1790: Latham cites only Sparrman's book as his source, and the diagnosis is copied from there.
Both names are in the synonymy of Anas acuta in many works, but Nilsson, 1821 may be particularly significant here: he says he examined the specimen that was used to produce the plate, and there is no doubt that it was a pintail.

Not really, it was my first spontanious "Birder" reaction, and I feel pretty sure of it, at least of it being a female Pintail (age is a bit harder, especially based on that illustration) ... but since the HBW Alive Key has left the (Anas) "Sparrmanni" without any synonymity only as:
(syn. “Anas alandica” Sparrman, ...")
I started to wonder why? If there might be some doubt?

In any case; thanks for the Nilsson text (even if I don´t understand it), Nilsson does confirm the same view, also in his Swedish texts. Though I haven´t seen anything regarding the age of the "alandica".

x

Last edited:
In any case; thanks for the Nilsson text (even if I don´t understand it), he does confirm the same view, also in his Swedish texts
It's the note in the lower part of the page:
"OBSERV. Quin huc pertineat Anas Alandica Sparrm l. с. nullum dubium est. Exemplar enim, quod iconi ansam dedit, ipse examinavi."
(More or less: "Observation. There is no doubt that Anas Alandica Sparrm. l.c. belongs here. Indeed I examined myself the exemplar, that gave rise to the plate.")

PS - And, for a change, a Belgian reference supporting the same synonymy: Dubois, 1894. ;)

Last edited:
To comment on the pic - it does look very Pintail-like, except that it doesn't have much of a pin [slender pointed] tail . . . . could it be a hybrid Pintail × some other Anas?

Good try!

But I choose to trust my "gut" feeling (as well as both Nilsson and Dubois) and doubt the hybrid theory; because not all female Pintails have "much of a pin". Especially not the young female (first autumn) birds.

See for example this link (... if you scroll down some nice pictures you´ll find a standing, "short-rumped" female specimen). Or this one alt. this one.

Cheers!

x

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back