• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

High power bino vs scope (1 Viewer)

stiv674

Hello,

As the title suggests, has anybody replaced their scope with a higher power binocular?

I find prolonged use of a scope uncomfortable, I'm currently considering one of the following and would appreciate any input/advice.

Nikon Monarch 5 - 15 or 20x56 - Around £600
Zeiss Conquest HD - 15x56 - Around £1100

I have the Zeiss in 8x32 and 10x42 and think they're great value for money but I'm not sure I can justify spending £1100 on something for occasional use.

Thanks,

Steve

Hi Steve.

I`v just bought the new Opticron 2x UTA to use on my Swarovski 8.5x42, I`m very pleased at how good it is, and very easy to carry around.

Just a thought you may not have considered.

John.

Steve

We have a Conquest 15x56 as well as a (very old model) Diascope 65.

We prefer looking through the bins (like you) but the bins just can't pull long distance stuff in. We usually end up using the scope on the low magnifications but even at 25-30x it is just more effective. However I should tell you that we aren't typical birders carrying scope as well as bins everywhere.

On holiday we often have the bins set up on a tripod in our cottage for looking at anything we spot from there and this works fine for us as we know the local species well and can usually indentify birds and animals from their jizz. So we don't need the higher mag of the scope and appreciate the comfort of the bins for long periods of viewing.

If I was going to a reserve or similar unfamiliar place then I would take the scope rather than the Conquests, but if your local reserves don't have long distances to cover you might go for the comfort of the bins.

If you want to read more about the Conquests you can find a review by me of this model and the Swaro SLC on here.

Hope this helps, but its a judgement only you can make.

Lee

Last edited:
Thanks to both for your replies.

The Opticron UTA looks interesting, especially when out walking, something I'll look into.

It's more for holiday use for when I'm out in the car and don't want to set my scope up etc. I usually leave it set up in the cottage I'm staying in.

I can't find anywhere local that stocks the Nikon(s) to try them out, I'm a bit concerned about the eye relief as I wear glasses, it looks to be better on the Zeiss. Question is, are they worth twice the money...

Hi Steve,

I found a scope hard to get on with, so I bought an TS Optics big 18 x 70mm angled EP semi APO binocular, for tripod use, it takes 1.25" EPs up to 50x max, pleased with it for distance viewing, I find it is much better than a scope using 2 eyes, but for me having an angled EP, is essential, straight is far too uncomfortable. I have found about 25x to 30x EPs best, Photo here. I got mine for a good deal, £640 from Germany, but the Helios quantum 88mm that microglobe sell is similar, likely slightly better, and probably made in the same place.

Ben

Attachments

• TS OPTICS 18X-70mm APO.....JPG
    TS OPTICS 18X-70mm APO.....JPG
    63.6 KB · Views: 210
Last edited:
Canon 15x50 IS? Seems another possibility here.

However, I couldn't do without a scope. No way. I need higher magnifications.

Hermann

Hi Steve,

I found a scope hard to get on with, so I bought an TS Optics big 18 x 70mm angled EP semi APO binocular, for tripod use, it takes 1.25" EPs up to 50x max, pleased with it for distance viewing, I find it is much better than a scope using 2 eyes, but for me having an angled EP, is essential, straight is far too uncomfortable. I have found about 25x to 30x EPs best, Photo here. I got mine for a good deal, £640 from Germany, but the Helios quantum 88mm that microglobe sell is similar, likely slightly better, and probably made in the same place.

Ben

That is some contraption Ben! Very nice! Do you have to look vertically downwards into the ep's while seated at the scope, or can they swivel to a 45-degree angle?

Thanks all again for your suggestions, there are some interesting ones for sure.

I would use it mostly hand held, maybe the Canon IS 15x or even 18x might be an option... I need to find somewhere to demo one.

I have about five months to decide!

Hi Steve

Don't know where you are in Wiltshire but Ace Optics in Bath and Clifton Cameras in Dursley both stock Canon IS binoculars. Probably best to ring and check to make sure they have the ones you're interested in though before making a trip. :t:

Hi Steve

Don't know where you are in Wiltshire but Ace Optics in Bath and Clifton Cameras in Dursley both stock Canon IS binoculars. Probably best to ring and check to make sure they have the ones you're interested in though before making a trip. :t:

Hello, thanks for your reply.

I'm north Wilts so about an hour from Clifton Cameras, they sell the Zeiss 15x56 as well (I don't think Ace do, looking at their website) so might be worth comparing the two. I contacted Clifton last year about selling a DSLR camera to them which I never got around to, that would help with the cost...

Steve

Thanks to both for your replies.

The Opticron UTA looks interesting, especially when out walking, something I'll look into.

It's more for holiday use for when I'm out in the car and don't want to set my scope up etc. I usually leave it set up in the cottage I'm staying in.

I can't find anywhere local that stocks the Nikon(s) to try them out, I'm a bit concerned about the eye relief as I wear glasses, it looks to be better on the Zeiss. Question is, are they worth twice the money...

Hi,

ok, specifically for being in the car and not wanting to get out as that will disturb the birds - you don't care about weight obviously - have you thought about having a scope in the car, either on a window mount or with a tripod on the right seat?

The opticron doubler seems to be quite good optically but the field is not really big, as is to be expected of a small instrument. Also it's light and will give you 16x or 20x depending on your bins, but seeing anything with such a small field and no tripod is going to be tricky. Maybe if you can brace yourself to sth.,,

Some 15x bins handheld is pretty much out of the question too. A 10x is going to show you more detail due to less shake.

A high mag stabilized pair is going to work, but not cheap and not light. Canon 15x50 and 18x50 are good as is the Zeiss 20x60 if you really want to spend money. And you are limited to that mag unlike a scope.

Joachim, who would try to make his scope work in the car

I have a SV 12X50 I use and is the highest magnification binocular I have. I does really well but can only do so much. I really don't feel there is a substitute FOR a spotting scope with you NEED a spotting scope.

Thanks all again for your suggestions, there are some interesting ones for sure.

I would use it mostly hand held, maybe the Canon IS 15x or even 18x might be an option... I need to find somewhere to demo one.

I have about five months to decide!
Steve,

Perhaps one of Canon's IS bins AND a 2x doubler for a stabilised scope!

I've tried natively the Canon 12x36 IS III and the 15x50 IS. Both very very good. The IS system on the MKIII works far better for me.

https://www.adorama.com/ca12363.html
http://www.opticron.co.uk/Pages/uta_2x.htm

With a doubler ...... the Next Big Thing??

Chosun :gh:

Last edited:
I think the doubler would be handy for when out walking but maybe not so much for prolonged use, which is why I'd prefer the binocular route rather than a scope.

I'm not sure why (maybe I'm weird) but I just can't seem to find a comfortable view with a scope, I agree that for long distances they are the only option. I have an older Opticron with a zoom lens which is reasonably good.

I think I might try one of the Canon IS, the Zeiss version is rather expensive, is it that good??

I usually take a bit of a risk by buying online, so far it's worked out but I should probably try these higher mag ones first...

Thanks again for all your suggestions :t:

Steve

Hi,

I got to try the 20x60 stabilized once from a fellow birder, a lady with an iron neck who used just a thin strap to carry it...

The view was good and the stabilization worked reasonably well, but in my opinion it was not really a replacement for a normal 8 or 10x bin but rather for a scope. And I prefer 4 or 5 kg of scope and tripod in my scopac on the back to 1.6kg on my neck. Plus a scope can be set on some nice bird and the view is easily shared - not so with bins.

Joachim

That is some contraption Ben! Very nice! Do you have to look vertically downwards into the ep's while seated at the scope, or can they swivel to a 45-degree angle?

Hi Sancho, yes, you look vertically downward, but it's very comfortable, much better than straight, especially if looking the the night sky where you have to angle the bin steeply. I think it beats a spotting scope for comfort and ease of use hands down for me.

Steve, I would say if your going to use that high a magnification hand held, you will need an IS binocular for sure.

Ben

Last edited:
I found I could rest the Conquest 15x56s on the half lowered window of my car door and with a woolly hat underneath the bins and since they were not fastened to the window like a scope might be they could be quickly handheld to point anywhere for a quick look.

Lee

binoculars will only reach so far, then fade.
I tried to avoid scope by getting miyauchi 22x60 binoculars
--unsuccessfully

my only Whooping bird sighting was with a 92mm telescope
from the tower at Aransas National Refuge at 4-5 miles away
never would have seen with binoculars regardless of size

edj

binoculars will only reach so far, then fade.
I tried to avoid scope by getting miyauchi 22x60 binoculars
--unsuccessfully

Hi edj,

although the Miyauchis already look quite different from your run-of-the-mill bins... if you go that way a bit farther into the domain of astro double refractors, you might get to a point where they can replace or exceed a birding scope.

But at that point the scope will be the lighter option...

That being said, an astro friend of mine owns a Miyauchi 77mm and also has higher mag EPs - I think up to 40x. He's going to bring it to a meeting in a few weeks and we'll have a closer look through it and also put it on my old carbon tripod and scopac as said friend liked that solution...

Maybe I'll take some pictures...

Joachim

As luck would have it, I just found out that I'm working fairly close to Clifton Cameras tomorrow, hopefully I might have time to pop in.

But do I want to spend £1000 on something for occasional use... I don't have anyone to question my purchases, not always a good thing!

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back