• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wow ! What did I see at my local patch ? (1 Viewer)

senatore

I went to my local patch yesterday (Marsh Lane in Warwickshire) just after lunch.The weather was fine and I was surprised to see the car park empty.

As soon as I got out the car I was treated to a 10 minute aerial display by a hunting Hobby which made a good start to the day.However that proved to be the high point as for the next 2 hours all I saw were the usual geese,ducks, lapwings,gulls etc.

I was just about to leave the Oak hide when all the birds in the pool panicked and took to the air.I dashed out of the hide to scan the sky.I soon saw a large raptor slowly gliding over the pool and as soon as it came out of the sun I recognised what it was.......... An Osprey........It stayed for about a couple of minutes flying over the pool giving fabulous views before flying off to the north.

What a thrilling moment ! I had only seen an Osprey once before and that was at distance at Rutland Water.The pity was I was the only person there to see this fabulous bird.

Max.

nice one, they are special birds!

probaly fuelling up for the long trip south, they tend to be spotted all over the place in spring and autumn as they travel up and down the country.

Hi Max

Congrats on the sighting Max.

The bird has been around Marsh Lane for a few days now so I suppose that most of the regulars there may have already seen it.

They are magnificent birds to watch and in the close setting of Marsh Lane all the better as you are never that far away from the bird.

I had a first in Lithuania last week with an Osprey. It was the first time I had ever seen one successfully swoop down and catch a fish. magnificent.

Reader said:
Hi Max

Congrats on the sighting Max.

The bird has been around Marsh Lane for a few days now so I suppose that most of the regulars there may have already seen it.

They are magnificent birds to watch and in the close setting of Marsh Lane all the better as you are never that far away from the bird.

I had a first in Lithuania last week with an Osprey. It was the first time I had ever seen one successfully swoop down and catch a fish. magnificent.
Hi John,
How did you get on in Lithuania? Have you done a report and I
have missed it?

Max.

Thanks John for the links.Very very impressive reports and photos.I can't believe someone is more adventurous than you !!!!!!!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back