• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Identify kowa scope? Help (1 Viewer)

johan35

Hi
I`m new here and with scopes. I`m mostly using my dlsr, but now i got the opportunity to lay my hands on an old kowa very cheap, but, i cant find anything that tells me wich model this is, and therefor i cant find any kind of info about it!
So here it is, hoping some of you does recognize this one, maybe someone could tell me about the performances of it. This one comes with a 20x eyepiece.

Regards Johan

Attachments

• kowa2.jpg
    kowa2.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 859
Looks similar to eekbay item 280121735369. My local Audubon has one like this. Don't know anything about it. These older ones are built like tanks but the one I looked through was optically moderate. Nothing to complain about but not up to a nice 80mm ED.

Newer models can have better glass, better QC, better coatings. Can you test it?

Try to measure the objective. If it's 50mm, I'd personally pass. If it's 60, then it may be a keeper.

Very cheap is relative. It's much easier to find used bins than used spotters.

Thanks for your reply.

Well, i`m looking for scope to identify birds on longer distance, to see if i should move close enuoght to make som good pics with my 400 mm lens.

But, i am ready to get a kowa tsn 601 with a 30x eyepiece, and the price of this one is less than 10% of that combination, so its no big deal really what happens, but i just wanted to know if this was something well known, maybe useful for this. I have found very little information about the older sec hand scopes on the web, maybe because of optical performences, that should have been improved lately!

Ok, end of story!

I bought it, and to my big surprise this was an ok scope for beeing 50 mm, the size is so small, and light weight, so that opens up for getting a 80mm scope instead of an 66 mm, and use this one for photo backup, and the 80 for just watching, if i need to carry the equipment long into the nature.

But still it doesnt say anything about model on it, just a serialnr and the brand!

Thanks for your help and interest here on birdforum! I`m gonna hang around once in a while!

johan

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back