• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Taking the dust off my ED80 (1 Viewer)

Fernando - is there something special about the way that your cosina lens zooms in and out ?

Does the lens slide ( like a trombone ) or turn to zoom, and how did you go about getting each end of the cosina to accept fittings ?

thanks

The lens doesn't move at all any more, I removed everything from it, lenses, iris, focus mechanism, everything has come off. The only thing I wanted from the lens was the CPU.
But the lens body actually was a bonus since the inside of this lens is the exact same inner diameter of the focuser tube, so I just had to stick a tube and secure it on both sides, on the lens side the tube is permanently fixed and the on the focuser side I can remove with a 2mm allen key, in case I want to use the scope as a scope again. Also the inside of this lens is aluminium so it made a very solid setup, and the rubber grip from the zoom is the same diameter of the WO focuser. I guess I couldn't have found better even if I looked.

So, with all that I actually left the lens there like it is, although that wasn't my original idea. But I'm going back to that and I'm in the process of making another adapter, I'll use the CPU of this lens, but this time on a machined Teflon part, just being picky but I prefer the aesthetics of my new adapter ;)

To allow metering on Nikon bodies. Cheaper Nikon bodies wont meter without a lens on, only a D200 or better will work without a CPU, and I want to be able to use the scope with any camera I own. This way I have the lens stuck at 300mm F/6.7, witch is what appears on the exif and what the camera thinks it's on.

Hi Fernando

Is it possible for you to show us a photographic breakdown on all the items you use from the ED80 to the DSLR and all the items inbetweeen you use or different variations or items you may use? I and others appreciate what you and Paul C have brought to the forum, i am being asked about the use of astroscopes and only know a very little based on yours and Paul C contributions, i am possibly tempted to try a setup?

Regards

Paul

Actually, no, sorry.
I wouldn't mind posting photos of the parts I changed or done, but I have none, or almost none, all I have is photos of the part I had machined for the dew-shield, and the old lenses striped down. Whenever I start building something a camera to photograph it is the last thing on my mind |8(|.

The only thing I can show are drawings of the new adapter and of the other parts I've made. Or maybe a photo of the new adapter but already finished, with the CPU built in.

More from my last outing with the ED80.
Just a Corn Bunting hanging around my Bee eater spot. This were all with either the Kenko Pro300 1.4 or 2x, but I don't remember witch is witch |=(|

I'm still working on the final changes on my ED80, after all is done will take a few shots of it dismantled and post everything here.

I'm also planing on making a comparison with my Ed80 against a unmodified unit, hope that works out so we all can see the differences some mods can do to these scopes.

Attachments

• 836733101_v7qah-O.jpg
    836733101_v7qah-O.jpg
    219.5 KB · Views: 97
  • 836733180_tR2BB-O.jpg
    836733180_tR2BB-O.jpg
    177.8 KB · Views: 96
  • 836733229_4L53z-O.jpg
    836733229_4L53z-O.jpg
    175.9 KB · Views: 89
  • 836733056_g5uFh-O.jpg
    836733056_g5uFh-O.jpg
    194.6 KB · Views: 96
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back