• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Taking the dust off my ED80 (1 Viewer)

FernandoBatista

After some time without using the ED, I've been finally putting it to use again to photograph the first bee-eaters around.

This thing still blows me away for how good it is.

Just as example of sharpness, a bigger version of the first shot, it was done with a kenko 2x TC:
http://fernandobatista.smugmug.com/photos/826437458_To7ob-O.jpg

Attachments

• 2010_04_03_1.jpg
    2010_04_03_1.jpg
    228.4 KB · Views: 219
  • 2010_04_03_2.jpg
    2010_04_03_2.jpg
    199.2 KB · Views: 159
  • 2010_04_03_3.jpg
    2010_04_03_3.jpg
    194.1 KB · Views: 130
  • 2010_04_03_4.jpg
    2010_04_03_4.jpg
    209.4 KB · Views: 229
Going to go off and cry now. :-C You get some excellent light in your part of the world. Excellent work as always Fernando and you are the one I credit with getting me into the delights that the 80ED has to offer.

Paul.

Thanks guys :)

There's no doubt I have a lot of light here, but quite frankly that is often a problem too due to the harshness of it, the only hours I can shoot to get decent light is about two hours after sunrise or before sunset (as in most places that have a lot of sun I guess) and even then is sometimes too strong, most of the times I prefer a cloudy day for that reason, at least I can shoot a lot more time, and I always liked the difused and soft light from a cloudy day, it's a bit harder to work with but the results can be amazing ;)

Thanks guys :)

There's no doubt I have a lot of light here, but quite frankly that is often a problem too due to the harshness of it, the only hours I can shoot to get decent light is about two hours after sunrise or before sunset (as in most places that have a lot of sun I guess) and even then is sometimes too strong, most of the times I prefer a cloudy day for that reason, at least I can shoot a lot more time, and I always liked the difused and soft light from a cloudy day, it's a bit harder to work with but the results can be amazing ;)

Fernando,

Really pin sharp focus. :t: How envious! Do you mind sharing your setup? Teleconverter / Tripod / head model / camera settings / modes / distance from subject.

Hope to gain some tips to a higher keeper rate.

tbc

Do you mind sharing your setup? Teleconverter / Tripod / head model / camera settings / modes / distance from subject.

tbc

I don't mind at all ;)

The teleconverter, I use a kenko set, 1.4 and 2x, on these pics I only used the 2x on the first photo, the others are without TC.

The settings, most were at ISO 400, except for the first witch was at 800, 1/400 for the first, and 1/1600 for the 2nd and 3rd.
The last was at ISO 400 too, with 1/1000, but with flash and a better beamer as fill.

They were all shot before 9:00 am, from a seat hide, I was at about 8 meters from them not more.

The tripod I use is a Berlebach and head is a Benro KB3, is a rock solid setup, even with the 2x TC.

Here's two photos of the scope on the tripod:
http://fernandobatista.smugmug.com/photos/827388532_DPN4Z-O.jpg

http://fernandobatista.smugmug.com/photos/827388622_uk3K4-O.jpg

beautiful setup. Is the rubber grip on the extension tube, just that - a rubber grip - or is it a helical focuser? (of course I see that you already have a focuser, but maybe you have modded it not to funcion).

Thanks Fernando for sharing those info. That's a lot of light to go 1/1600.

Since our scope has a fixed aperture, how did you managed such nice bokeh & contrast? Are you also on Manual mode (Like Paul) with only variables like shutter speed and exposure compensation?
Do you use mirror lock up and remote trigger?

I noticed you only had one thumb screw on your set-up. How did you attach the adapter to you focuser?
Does every part from 2" focuser >> extension tube >> T-ring >> teleconverter >> DSLR have to be tight fit with no clearance / shake? Mine had a weak connection between teleconverter and T-ring and its shaky. Still have not figure out how to fix it.

Observed that either the 3 compression springs on the Kenko converters are limited in their travel or thickness of the mounting face of T-ring a bit too thin to be compressed properly to form a tight fit.

Sorry for the plenty of questions.

tbc

Last edited:
Actually, I don’t see why you ask that, the ED80 is my best lens as far as contrast and bokeh goes (and sharpness), it doesn’t have a DOF as short as my 300mm F/4 but the bokeh is better, understand that by saying better I don’t mean the DOF is as short, just better quality, smother.
By having so few elements I don’t find that surprising, and F/7.5 is more than enough to defocus everything behind the birds, providing you choose your locations carefully. But that is true for any lens, you just can’t rely on using a lens faster aperture to defocus backgrounds, because if you go much faster than what we’re using you end up with only the birds eyes being in focus, at least shooting this close, and the backgrounds still wont be as good as you hoped.
About the contrast, well, it’s just as the scope is, it’s very contrasty. Maybe mine is a bit better since I flocked it completely, it did make a difference, but even original it was quite good.

I usually shoot manual too, only on very rare occasions I use aperture mode.

No remotes or lockup for me, just sticking my eye against the eyecup, hand on the focuser and finger on the shutter button, that and trying my best to hold everything rock solid.

The thumb screw you see it’s what locks the rotary motion of the focuser.
The thumb screws that used to hold the camera adapter were replaced by allen screws, to keep the scope as clean as possible.

You should avoid every bit of shake if possible. But I’m afraid the Kenkos are a lost cause |:d|
I have that on my TCs too, not much to do there :C unless you want to replace the mounts. I actually considered that, replace them for my extension tubes, I have a set of tubes from fototip, witch were incredibly cheap and have a far better fit than kenkos.

Then again, these plays/shakes are not so bad as the scope itself shaking, the effect on IQ is much less. So don’t worry too much.

And no problem with the questions, that's what this forum is for ;)

My pair of Kenko Pro's fit together perfectly, no play in them at all or in the connection to the T-ring. Luck of the draw I suppose. I use a Pentax to Canon adapter quite a bit and have loads of play in that though.

I flocked my Skywatcher ED80 internally last week and didn't notice any difference in contrast with before and after photos. The main improvement in contrast came when I flocked the sun shade and all the other bits like the scope adapter and stuff between the camera and scope.

Paul.

Maybe canon mounts just have a better fit. I actually heard that before, that canon mount itself doesn't have as much play as Nikon's. I never compare that myself though. But my kenkos really do have a lot of play that I wish I could get rid of.

I flocked the scope completely at once, and in the overall package the difference was quite impressive, highly noticeable if I was shooting against the sun, but I don't know witch part made the biggest difference. But being baffled and a large diameter tube I would image that the main tube is indeed the part that makes the least difference. But it's the easiest part to flock too, so I think if we're flocking something we may as well do the whole thing ;)

Fernando excuses, can you make clear that it means "flocked"? How you do it? My english is so bad, and i try to translates it, but not understand...

Great shoots!!

I live in a village near Sevilla. Usually I go to birding for Sevilla , Cadiz and Huelva (Guadalquivir , Doñana , etc...).

This week will be rainy. :-(

Regards and sorry my english.
Diego.

Yeah, it's rainning a lot around here too, I gave a bath to my camera this morning, and didn't take a single shot |:(|

It's on my plans to go to Doñana sometime, maybe we can meet there one day. But we still have to speak English...my spanish is far worst than your English ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back