• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Conservation in the Trumpocene (2 Viewers)

I did not really expect much of substance on my question on what a Trump supporter would expect a Trump administration doing good on conservation. But nothing at all, zero, nada?

Ok, I probably assumed wrongly that someone who reads and posts in birdforum does actually care about conservation. Apparently not at all.

Concerning "The 'edification' of our law enforcement, Obama has destroyed the persona of LEO".

I presume 'LEO' is the abbreviation for 'Law Enforcement Officers' or the like, and I note the post above querying 'edification', which means 'the moral or intellectual instruction or improvement of someone', but I'm struggling to figure out what was originally meant - it's probably quite obvious, but perhaps 'evisceration' serves as the intended metaphor. That said, the intended original meaning is rather nullified by this poll, which if validated by others, provides food for thought:

http://www.pewsocialtrends.org/2017/01/11/behind-the-badge./

Happy reading...
MJB

MJB what do you think you are doing! - introducing data and analysis into this 'post-truth' subject. It can only end badly.

I did not really expect much of substance on my question on what a Trump supporter would expect a Trump administration doing good on conservation. But nothing at all, zero, nada?

Ok, I probably assumed wrongly that someone who reads and posts in birdforum does actually care about conservation. Apparently not at all.

Come, come, what else did you expect from that clown?

Concerning "The 'edification' of our law enforcement, Obama has destroyed the persona of LEO".

I presume 'LEO' is the abbreviation for 'Law Enforcement Officers' or the like, and I note the post above querying 'edification', which means 'the moral or intellectual instruction or improvement of someone', but I'm struggling to figure out what was originally meant - it's probably quite obvious, but perhaps 'evisceration' serves as the intended metaphor. That said, the intended original meaning is rather nullified by this poll, which if validated by others, provides food for thought: MJB

He obviously meant it as a positive, probably something along the lines of "treat them with enhanced respect and esteem". But who cares what exactly he meant. . ..? However you slice it, it's still baloney.

Poll, schmoll, too many cops are trigger happy, riddling their victims with 15, 20, 30 bullets in situations where all that's required--if that--is a single disabling shot or two to arm or leg. Sure it's a dangerous job--though less so than fire fighting, say--but that's no excuse for panicky overreactions.

Last edited:
Love it! Center of attention. Gets no better.
lol...quite the commentary there. WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
I self-built my home using the very latest in sustainable technology, cork floors wool carpets, zero VOC paints/stains.. the best of everything. I've posted extensively here at BF about this much to Fuglina's chagrin and disparagement.
My honda gets 50 mpg...very decent by U.S. standards.
I sought that car out to be prudent with fuel usage. I could afford a gas guzzler but chose otherwise.
Why have I done these conservation lifestyle changes? Because I actually believe something beyond mere lip-service unlike the bloviating hypocrites here. I suspect that the constant gloom and doom whiners here do nothing for our environment but bemoan whatever the Huff Po, NYT and The Atlantic tells them to.

Fugl, "clown' is a badge of honor coming from you.
Why would anyone devote the time you do to a complete 'clown'? No, I think it's obvious you are dealing with a case of liberal butthurt of major proportions.

Wonderful watching the confirmation hearings today....should be a helluva cabinet.
Sessions √
Tillerson √ more to come...8 mere days until you snowflakes officially melt down...
Didja see LePen is leading in the French polls? Can you get anything right?

MJB, you disappeared when Poptech presented you with more than you cared to refute....says it all.

Gotta go; need to watch for Muslims at the Fastnesses, and do more reloading.
:king:

I sought that car out to be prudent with fuel usage. I could afford a gas guzzler but chose otherwise.
Why have I done these conservation lifestyle changes?

You care for conservation, ok. Still you voted for Trump, whom even you don't expect to do anything good on conservation (judging from you answer above). Didn't you vote against your interest then?

Love it! Center of attention. Gets no better.

I self-built my home using the very latest in sustainable technology, cork floors wool carpets, zero VOC paints/stains.. the best of everything.
My honda gets 50 mpg...very decent by U.S. standards.
Why have I done these conservation lifestyle changes? Because I actually believe something beyond mere lip-service.

MJB, you disappeared when Poptech presented you with more than you cared to refute....says it all.

Well done on your success in building your home and on your pragmatic choice of vehicle - no sarcasm intended at all. I also bought my vehicle for the same reason - it gets almost 53mpg/4.44 litres per 100km - but to reduce my personal impact on the environment, I've halved my annual driving by limiting it to 15,000 miles, which also brings an insurance discount (or a hefty penalty if I go over it).

Re your expressed pleasure in being the centre of attention, I've already asked a friend who researches in HPD (that's the APA definition) at the UK's National Personality Disorder Institute what they thought about your posts. They replied that it would be unethical to attempt any diagnosis from the content alone, but if their content genuinely reflects your views, then your constant need to denigrate would be worth investigating. I confess that I'm perhaps too ready to dismiss pejorative, name-calling and hectoring posts as demented trolling...:eek!:

As for the Poptech list, fugl was far more pithy than I would have been and so I would have expected most on this thread to reach their own conclusions and make comments in support of what they found, or in opposition. However, I did go through that list which mainly comprised narratives, magazine articles and blog-based polemics, high on unsupported assertions but low in citations of scientific papers that feature in impact analyses across a spread of such resources as Web of Science, Scopus, Google Scholar, and other databases.
MJB

. . .I confess that I'm perhaps too ready to dismiss pejorative, name-calling and hectoring posts as demented trolling...:eek!:
No, no, not at all, you're being too hard on yourself!

And definitely pithy. . .. ;)

Last edited:
Well done on your success in building your home and on your pragmatic choice of vehicle - no sarcasm intended at all. I also bought my vehicle for the same reason....

Re your expressed pleasure in being the centre of attention, I've already asked a friend who researches in HPD (that's the APA definition) at the UK's National Personality Disorder Institute what they thought about your posts. They replied that it would be unethical to attempt any diagnosis from the content alone, but if their content genuinely reflects your views, then your constant need to denigrate would be worth investigating....
And back at you, good on ya for actually doing something beyond the typical whining and fear mongering. I know that my "green' choices were expensive!

I read this second paragraph and laughed out loud, my wife literally asked me what i found so amusing. When one gets constantly ridiculed and chided for contrary belief, he defends. No Freudian mystery here. I just happen to take a bit more pleasure in that defense. This is an internet forum, for G*d's sake.

You care for conservation, ok....Still you voted for Trump, whom even you don't expect to do anything good on conservation (judging from you answer above). Didn't you vote against your interest then?

So I take it from your answer here that you have done absolutely nothing in terms of conservation. That's unfortunate given your admonishment of me.
And your clairvoyance regarding my voting history is amazing.

That said, Trump is soon to be POTUS and the Trumpocene commences tomorrow...sorry, Fugl. :king:
Should be some real whining and gnashing of teeth. Couldn't happen to a better bunch of hypocrites who never gave others with sincere dissent the time of day....constant berating, "young Earth'-type marginalization and attack. And this sub-forum is a microcosm of the denier-hate mentality everywhere.
Time to own it, and as far as this nation goes, YOU EARNED THIS!

'Coming soon to a country near you.' People of all walks of life are FED UP...

https://www.theguardian.com/comment...umps-mission-to-keep-the-us-in-the-fossil-age
Trump’s appointments reflect what I call the Pollution Paradox. The more polluting a company is, the more money it must spend on politics to ensure it is not regulated out of existence. Campaign finance therefore comes to be dominated by dirty companies, ensuring that they wield the greatest influence, crowding out their cleaner rivals. Trump’s cabinet is stuffed with people who owe their political careers to filth.

Me, I'm less than sanguine at the moment but we shall see--...
Your sanguinity should soon give way to melancholy.
... The man himself, a small mind in a big fat unhealthy body, his election a mere spurt, a spasm, a final unproductive ejaculation....
Couple of things I've noticed lately: "Big, fat" DJT might be the most robust 70 y/o out there right now. The guy never stops; endless energy.
And as far as 'unproductive'... in his first full working day in office, the guy has revoked TPP, instituted a federal hiring freeze, and put a moratorium on international abortion funding. This all aside from swearing in cabinet members.

Stay tuned, the "unproductive ejaculation" has plenty up his sleeve, and a pretend Marxist ain't gonna like it. The 31 states that do like it are ecstatic with the guy's immediate action to keep his promises.
:king:

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back