• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Photographic Handbook of the Birds of the Western Palearctic (1 Viewer)

Phillip_Mannion said:
Anyone any idea when this is due out, and how much it is likely to cost?

No and no. Looks like quite a nice book though, i'm looking forward to seeing it myself. Thought i'd better reply to i neighbouring birder, i'm just down the road in Forest Park.

Hope you get a more constructive answer soon.

Cheers, Graeme.

I know it originally was going to be published by another company, but, due to a number of problems (in particular the time it was taking), that company sold the whole deal to A&C Black. Hence, I'd guess it's probably some time from being published. Normally I consider photo-guides of relatively limited use due to only a few main plumages being shown, but it looks like this one will different as they are trying to include a photo of all main plumages (and in species where it is useful; flight shots, too). So, I'll probably have to buy it when it's published... the three examples certainly look nice:

http://www.acblack.com/media/collaredfly.jpg
http://www.acblack.com/media/rosy.jpg
http://www.acblack.com/media/oriole.jpg

Last edited:
Rasmus Boegh said:
Normally I consider photo-guides of relatively limited use due to only a few main plumages being shown, but it looks like this one will different as they are trying to include a photo of all main plumages (and in species where it is useful; flight shots, too). So, I'll probably have to buy it when it's published... the three examples certainly look nice:
http://www.acblack.com/media/collaredfly.jpg
http://www.acblack.com/media/rosy.jpg
http://www.acblack.com/media/oriole.jpg
It does look as if it's a fair way off as yet - I can't see it appearing much earlier than 2007. Yes, it does look a very good volume if the specimen pages are anything to go by. However, these pages also seem to cast doubt on whether the promised volume will really have a similar range of plumages/flight shots/etc as a well illustrated 'artwork' guide. Pity it's hard to rerad the text on the specimen pages. I hope it has current info on status, population figures conservation status etc which is often omitted or given short shift in other books.
John

My gripe with photographic guides is that you tend to get excellent photos that are printed too small. Delin and Svensson's Photographic Guide to the Birds of Britain and Europe was a classic case. The three samples posted above would look great if the book is BWP-sized, but not if it's only of field-guide dimensions.

Bluetail said:
My gripe with photographic guides is that you tend to get excellent photos that are printed too small. Delin and Svensson's Photographic Guide to the Birds of Britain and Europe was a classic case. The three samples posted above would look great if the book is BWP-sized, but not if it's only of field-guide dimensions.

Yes, such a book is not meant as a FG (or not of much use as one). Thus its only justification is providing an attractive set of photographs. And that means a decent format is a prerequisite.

Swissboy said:
Yes, such a book is not meant as a FG (or not of much use as one). Thus its only justification is providing an attractive set of photographs. QUOTE]
I think you're being a tad harsh to suggest that its "only justification" will be the photos. Given the authors it might just have useful text and similarly instructive maps. Let's not forget that not everyone's shelves are groaning under the weight of accumulated bird books and for many a tyro this book will doubtless prove very useful. After all birding doesn't start and finish with ID,

John

The problem has been that virtually all guides that include photos have been very incomplete (i.e. without juvenile plumages and/or fligt photos for species where it is important). If you could get a complete set of photos (as it seems the people making this guide are trying to), I certainly think it could be at least as useful for field ID's as can any book with illustrations - but that's obviusly an opinion and we can only wait and see if this book is going to live up to those expectatins.

Last edited:
Rasmus Boegh said:
The problem has been that virtually all guides that include photos have been very incomplete (i.e. without juvenile plumages and/or fligt photos for species where it is important). If you could get a complete set of photos (as it seems the people making this guide are trying to), I certainly think it could be at least as useful for field ID's as can any book with illustrations - but that's obviusly an opinion and we can only wait and see if this book is going to live up to those expectatins.

Looking at the arrangement of text and illustrations on the attractive sample pages, I think those pictures would have to be awfully small if the book were published in a field guide format.

John,
I really think there are already so many books on the market. Thus, any new one that is in search of a buying public must meet the needs of at least a portion of the prospective buyers. I am sure most if not all the info that will be in the text can be found in other books as well. The same holds for the range maps, but certainly not for the anticipated collection of pictures.
And any "tyro" would do better to start with a book that concentrates on the local avifauna, anyway.

Last edited:
John Cantelo said:
After all birding doesn't start and finish with ID

I'm a bit confused what this book is meant to be. I thought from what Rasmus's links show it was just going to be an ID guide?

I do agree with you though, John. Look at Shirihai's Birds of Israel. The photos in that are absolutely stunning, but - as they are an incomplete set and not used to illustrate anything in the text - there seems to be no justification for having them other than the fact that they are fabulous pictures of fabulous birds - that's fine by me!

Tom

Last edited:
Swissboy said:
Looking at the arrangement of text and illustrations on the attractive sample pages, I think those pictures would have to be awfully small if the book were published in a field guide format.

John,
I really think there are already so many books on the market. Thus, any new one that is in search of a buying public must meet the needs of at least a portion of the prospective buyers. I am sure most if not all the info that will be in the text can be found in other books as well. The same holds for the range maps, but certainly not for the anticipated collection of pictures.
And any "tyro" would do better to start with a book that concentrates on the local avifauna, anyway.

There are indeed many books on the market, but there are never enough of the quality that this book seems to promise! Trouble is there are never enough birthdays or Christmasses to keep up. Yes, a tyro birder would be wise to start with a local avifauna, but unwise to restrict themselves to one for long! John

John Cantelo said:
There are indeed many books on the market, but there are never enough of the quality that this book seems to promise! Trouble is there are never enough birthdays or Christmasses to keep up. Yes, a tyro birder would be wise to start with a local avifauna, but unwise to restrict themselves to one for long! John

Aside from birthdays etc, at some point it also becomes a matter of space on the bookshelves! But I'll certainly get this book if it gets anywhere near its promises!

I just hope it doesn't show pictures of petrels sat at the edge of nesting burrows like most photo guides!

Not much use when you've just spent all day on Point Lynas!

Seems to flown

I can't find any mention of this now on their website. Perhaps they have postponed it, or decided against for some reason.

Rob Smallwood said:
I just hope it doesn't show pictures of petrels sat at the edge of nesting burrows like most photo guides!

Rob Smallwood said:

Dunno - the only times I've sat all day at Point Lynas I haven't exactly been troubled by distant flocks of Kermadecs!!

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back