• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nearing a decision. Testing a Lens? (1 Viewer)

RonHW

Hello again,

So the search seems to be coming down to the Tamron 200-500.

Two questions -

How important is focus limiter? The Tamron does not have it.

I've read some stories of good and bad copies of the same lens model. Is there a test to check out a lens, the way one does a scope?

Thank you all for your advice.

Ron

I buy and sell a lot of lenses and it is critical to be able to objectively and consistently size up gear. I mainly use this adaptation of the US Air Force test target. I just do center lens test, but if you're real serious, you can set up a poster that allows you to test center and corners.

Procedure (procedure does not change with APS-sensor size cameras).

http://www.takinami.com/yoshihiko/photo/lens_test/pdml-procedure.html

Chart (print at 600 DPI, highest quality):
http://www.takinami.com/yoshihiko/photo/lens_test/USAF.pdf

Two things to keep in mind:

* You don't know if you got a lemon copy of the lens without comparing to another. But you can go to sites like www.photodo.com to compare results.
* Also, test a "good" lens (usually the 50mm prime in the kit) to see how a good lens performs, then you can easily say how good the lens in question is. Long lenses usually show lower results than short primes, but will come close if of good quality.

Matt

Last edited:
Tamron

I bought the Tamron a few weeks ago and am totally satisfied with it. It's very sharp at 500 wide open. As far as focus speed is concerned it's not the fastest, but much faster than most other lenses that rely on the camera motor. In dim light it does hunt a bit but generally does not hunt the whole spectrum. It's also fairly quiet. So far I've not missed a focus limiter.

One day, I'll save up for a Sigma 500 f4.5, but until then, this Tamron is great, and I think the best choice at the $1000 range.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back