• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Looking for 8x binos to replace Jenoptem 8x32 (1 Viewer)

martinch

Hi all,

I have a pair of Jenoptem 8x32 porro prism binoculars that I’m looking to replace, and I’m after some advice. Optically, there’s not much to complain about – they’re nice and sharp, and whilst there’s a bit of field curvature, and some occasional minor purple chromatic aberration (e.g. when watching a blackbird in the snow), I’ve not noticed anything too terrible. However, they simply are not very comfortable to use – they have limited eye relief, and the eye cups are a hard plastic.

So, I’m looking recommendations for a pair of 8x roof prism binoculars - either 32mm or 42mm. I’m looking for something which is about the same size/weight as the Jenoptems (c. 700g), optically no worse, and OK for glasses wearers (I should add that one eye is noticeably worse than the other). Whilst I try to treat my things well, accidents do happen, so I’m looking for something well-built, and backed by a company with good customer service. I’d rather not spend more than £500, although I can be flexible on this, as I’m not looking to buy any further pairs later! I have a preference for purchasing items locally rather than via mail order, although I have a rather limited selection of shops within an hour’s travel – 3 branches of London Camera Exchange (stocking between them Zeiss, Leica, Nikon, Opticron, Swarovski, and Hawke), and an independent stockist who has Opticron.

My initial thoughts were to look at the Opticron DBA VHD+ (£580) or Imagic BGA VHD 8x42 (£450), or Zeiss Conquest HD 8x32 (£685), although I’ve yet to find some in stock locally. So far, I’ve had a brief play with a pair of (used) Swarovski EL 8x32 and (new) Opticron Traveller 8x32. The Swarovski’s were really, really nice, and I couldn’t really fault anything about them, other than their £1000 price tag. In comparison, the Opticron pair seemed somewhat “flat” in their rendering, and they did display some visible purple chromatic fringing (I was looking at the end of a brick wall, with a brick building behind it, across the road from the shop). I would add that I struggled a little to get the correct “binocular” image when adjusting the IPD, although that’s likely me not being used to them. Both were very comfortable to use, although the focusing wheel was a little stiffer than I’d like (more so on the Opticrons, being new - the wheel on my Jenoptems has some resistance, but can also easily be turned with one finger).

Any advice much appreciated! Thanks! :)

P.S. I’d rather avoid Nikon – I’ve got some of their camera equipment, and whilst the equipment is excellent, I have been less than impressed with their service centre!

Last edited:
Martininch, post 1,
Look at one of the 8x32 Meopta's either the Meostar or the Meopro. They may be in your price range and they are very good for their price.
Gijs van Ginkel

Thanks. :)

I had a quick look, and the stockists for Meopta products appear to be limited in the UK - Amazon list them (£660 for the MeoStar and £360 for the MeoPro), and a couple of "country" (gun) shops list some of them (generally around the £800-900 and £450-500 mark, respectively), and that's about it. :( Any ideas how they compare to the Zeiss Conquest HD's? One of the LCEs near me has some "damaged box" 8x42's for less than the MeoStars.

It would be a close call between MeoStar and Conquest HD. I think optically the MeoStar would just win but in practical terms the Conquest's lighter weight (about 100g lighter), better close focus and faster/easier focus wheel means it is a better buy. However I wouldn't argue with anyone who says the MeoStar is better. I am talking about the 42mm binos here but actually the same comments apply to the 32mm models but even more so in that the Conquest 32mm focus speed makes it ideal as a combo bird/dragonfly/butterfly bino. However none of this explains why the MeoStar 8x32 is one of my all-time favourite binos.

Lee

Thanks for the info, Lee - very helpful! :) Having read your review of the Opticron Traveller & Imagic models over in the Opticron forum, would it be fair to say that optically:

Zeiss Terra ED << Opticron Traveller ED << Opticron Imagic BGA VHD < Zeiss Conquest HD ~ Meopta MeoStar < Swarovski EL

Obviously, I've got to try any I'm interested in and form my own opinions, however, it's always useful to have other's opinions, even if it's just things (features, quirks, etc) to be aware of. :) So far I've tracked down local stockists of the Zeiss Terra ED 8x32 & Conquest HD 8x42, and Swarovski EL 8x32. I think the other LCE stocks Opticron models, so hopefully I'll be able to A-B all of them except the Meopta's ...

Thanks for the info, Lee - very helpful! :) Having read your review of the Opticron Traveller & Imagic models over in the Opticron forum, would it be fair to say that optically:

Zeiss Terra ED << Opticron Traveller ED << Opticron Imagic BGA VHD < Zeiss Conquest HD ~ Meopta MeoStar < Swarovski EL

Obviously, I've got to try any I'm interested in and form my own opinions, however, it's always useful to have other's opinions, even if it's just things (features, quirks, etc) to be aware of. :) So far I've tracked down local stockists of the Zeiss Terra ED 8x32 & Conquest HD 8x42, and Swarovski EL 8x32. I think the other LCE stocks Opticron models, so hopefully I'll be able to A-B all of them except the Meopta's ...

Very broadly your hierarchy is OK optically although the Swaro isn't alone at the top of the tree and has company there from Zeiss SF and Leica Noctivid, but don't neglect the non-optical factors. For example my Conquest 8x32's fast focus (I don't know if this applies to the 42s) means I got IDs of birds in the distance in France from quickly switching from viewing close-by dragonflies that I wouldn't have got pumping the slower focus of my SF and that is a faster focuser than Swaro's EL. These things make a practical difference.

Lee

Last edited:
I'd add the Swarovski 8x30 CL in the mix. The optics of the new version are excellent. Low weight, very good ergonomics and a focuser that isn't too fast for precise focusing, unlike that of the Conquest HD ... :)

Hermann

I'd add the Swarovski 8x30 CL in the mix. The optics of the new version are excellent. Low weight, very good ergonomics and a focuser that isn't too fast for precise focusing, unlike that of the Conquest HD ... :)

Hermann

:-O:-O:-O

Lee

Very broadly your hierarchy is OK optically although the Swaro isn't alone at the top of the tree and has company there from Zeiss SF and Leica Noctivid
Thanks - just gives me an idea of how things line up before I try them! :)

but don't neglect the non-optical factors ... These things make a practical difference.
Oh, indeed - I'd not be replacing my Jenoptem's were it not for the fact they're just not comfortable for me to use! I didn't like the focusser on the Opticron Travellers I briefly tried - it was very stiff, although that could just be because it was new ...

I'd add the Swarovski 8x30 CL in the mix.
Ah, I'd forgotten about the CL's.|:$| I assume it's the "CL Companion" version that you're referring to? Mail order price seems to be comparable to the Zeiss Conquest HD 8x32's (some selling from £650, although the RRP's £910...).

Ah, I'd forgotten about the CL's.|:$| I assume it's the "CL Companion" version that you're referring to? Mail order price seems to be comparable to the Zeiss Conquest HD 8x32's (some selling from £650, although the RRP's £910...).

Yep. The CL Companion. Make sure you have a look at the new version though that came out last year. The first version wasn't really up to scratch. The new version has the diopter adjustment in the focus wheel.

Hermann

Yep. The CL Companion. Make sure you have a look at the new version though that came out last year. The first version wasn't really up to scratch. The new version has the diopter adjustment in the focus wheel.

Hermann

Adjusting that diopter is not a task that will make the big fingered and/or farsighted users happy campers!|!||:mad:|

It might be easier to see the diopter markings on the green colored models.

Bob

I don`t know if you would consider mint used but there`s a very nice Leica Trinovid HD 8x32 available at Clifton Cameras right now.
If I could try a new pair, I would indeed consider a "mint" used pair (seems silly not to, unless there's a significant warranty impact). The Clifton Camera link is dead (I guess someone else thought it was a good deal ...). Having said that, a new pair is the same price as the Conquest HD's, so if I'm considering one, I should also be considering the other.

The CL Companion. Make sure you have a look at the new version though ... has the diopter adjustment in the focus wheel.
Thanks! :)

Hi Martin,

I also used the 8x30 multi-coated Jenoptem for some time as one of my primary birding binoculars - a very good buy for the price. Like yourself, however, I eventually decided that a binocular with longer eye relief was necessary, as losing fast targets when I removed my glasses to put the binoculars to my eyes was becoming very frustrating. I ended up acquiring my brother's Swarovski 8x30 SLC mark II which has served very well. It is better optically (larger sweet spot, brighter, sharper), has the necessary eye relief, much more weatherproof, and feels really solid in a way that not all binoculars do. I'd definitely recommend one if it's in good condition; newer SLCs are better yet but will be more costly. There are a great many other binoculars - both current and older models - that would be suitable. Of those mentioned I have had a good look through the 8x42 Conquest HD which I thought was very good - the best non-alpha I've seen thus far - and the Opticron BGA VHD 8x42 which had good image quality and was lightweight and handled well, but I found its field of view somewhat narrow. Another that you might be able to find secondhand at a price that meets your budget limit is the Leica BA or BN Trinovid in 8x32 or 8x42 - classic birding binoculars with well proven build quality that may more than make up for the optical improvements offered by later generation products.

Cheers,
patudo

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back