• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

I going for my alpha roof 8x32 (1 Viewer)

black crow

This is the year I'm going for it. I'm 65 and who thought I'd still be here? I've put up with a lot of crap in 65 years and I've decided to reward myself for taking all that.

So I've already got what I consider the best 8x and 10x porros. I just ordered a 10x Leica Ultravid so the 10x roof situation might be good. Now I want a absolutely great 8x32

I've got these going for choices.

Nikon EDG
Zeiss Victory
Leica Ultravid
Swarovski EL

I've looked at the Zeiss Victory SF in a 42 and I was beyond impressed. Maybe the 32mm FL is great too.

I like the Leica for it's small size and light weight for my long daily hikes.

It sounds like Swarovski has the best customer service in the industry and that's become something I really value.

The Nikon EDG has just stuck in my mind for years as the holy grail of binoculars. However it's a bit heavy.

That's really all I "know" about these binoculars. So I'd love some feedback on why you think your pic is the great choice. I do own a Kowa Genesis 8x33 and I consider it pretty great so any choice has to really go beyond the Genesis. So if you own or have owned a Genesis and have looked at some of these other binos I really want to hear why you think they are or are not something considerably better.

I'll pick one to order (unless I get convinced the Genesis is just about as good as it gets) based on this thread and other research and then if it's not what I like or what work's I'll try another.

I appreciate all and any help on a lifetime purchase. Thanks.

EDG and FL

BC,
Attached are a couple of pics of the Zeiss FL 8X32 and EDG 8X32, just for your visual reference, I could not have a better pair of 8X32s in my book. The FL is my traveling glass, light great FOV, great optics.
The last pic is the EDG 8X32 next to the 8X42 middle, 10X42 on left for reference of the size of the EDG 8X32 next to larger glass.

Andy W.

Attachments

• DSCF2484.jpg
    DSCF2484.jpg
    297.8 KB · Views: 153
  • DSCF2485.jpg
    DSCF2485.jpg
    259.1 KB · Views: 103
  • DSCF2486.jpg
    DSCF2486.jpg
    279.7 KB · Views: 164
  • 3EDGS.jpg
    3EDGS.jpg
    214.4 KB · Views: 162
Last edited:
When you say you could not have a better pair are you referring to the EDG or the Zeiss? And thanks much for the photos. The Leica are the best looking of the bunch I have up for choices IMO. Not that that matters much lol.

You are welcome, they are both great glass, different yes, EDG Flat field, FL no flat field. In my book these are among the best 8X32s out there. Now if, and that is a big IF, Zeiss makes a new 8X32, and tries to make it SF like, it will no doubt be longer and, larger than the FL.
And yes Leica does make a glass package easy on the eyes.

Andy W.

Several years ago I got a demo Zeiss Victory FL 8x32 from CameralandNY.
My first light was a sparrow setting on a near tree, when I saw this brilliant white poop
fall to the ground.
I have never notices poop falling from a bird in binoculars, not to mention this brilliant white.

I can clearly state that the Victory 8x32 is the best bird poop observing optics available.
It is pretty good for non-poop observation also.

edj

I think my only real concern about the EDG is weight. Dang I wish they were about 100 grams lighter. Mon or Tues I'll get the 10x Leica and I'll have some idea of the quality of those. I think many really like the swaro el. I think they have one of the better fov at 420ft same as the Zeiss. This will be a tough decision but I shall persevere.

Leica has a very nice view despite CA. Field curvature but little astigmatism. Excellent build, small. Poor eye relief for glasses.

Zeiss is small, very low CA, bright, well built, excellent eye relief for glasses. Excellent close focus. Flat field, but obvious astigmatism off-axis. Requires very careful eye alignment for good view.

Swarovski has easy eye placement, excellent flat and well corrected view to the edges, excellent with glasses, issues with glare, is long.

Nikon is heavy, long, not so bright, trashy gold lettering (not understated branding of the alphas), more CA than ideal but otherwise superb view to the edges.

My choice is the Zeiss. I choose 8x32 for small pack size (eliminates Swarovski and Nikon), and I need close focus and good eye relief. I just wish it had more forgiving eye placement and less off-axis astigmatism.

--AP

Last edited:
Well I don't carry bins in a pack. My hikes are long but are all day hikes. I use a bino harness. I think I'm going to consider the Swaro harder due to your comments. How much issue is that glare because everything else sounds very nice? Fortunately I don't need glasses and almost all my bins have short eye relief. If I ever need glasses they all have to go. lol. Then I get to have my fun all over again.

I would try to compare them yourself because everybody eyes are all a little different and you may prefer the optics or ergonomics of one over the other. Those are probably the four best 32mm's made so they are all excellent. I have compared all four of them and for me the SV 8x32's were my choice. The SV has the sharpest edges of all of them and for me had better color and contrast and I also preferred the ergonomics of the SV with it's smaller tubes which was easier for me to hold. Again try them yourself you are talking about spending over $2K! You test drive a car before you buy it right.

Actually I didn't test drive my last car. lol Turned out to be really great though. Best auto I've ever owned. Subaru.

I'm wondering why Allbinos gave such a mediocre review of the 8x32 EL? That review was done in 2011. Have they made improvements in the meantime? Based on that review I wouldn't touch them.

Well I don't carry bins in a pack. My hikes are long but are all day hikes. I use a bino harness. I think I'm going to consider the Swaro harder due to your comments. How much issue is that glare because everything else sounds very nice? Fortunately I don't need glasses and almost all my bins have short eye relief. If I ever need glasses they all have to go. lol. Then I get to have my fun all over again.

A 4 oz weight difference on a harness isn't much. It should come down to perceived optical quality and ergonomics in the end. Enjoy the pursuit!

-Bill

Actually I didn't test drive my last car. lol Turned out to be really great though. Best auto I've ever owned. Subaru.

I'm wondering why Allbinos gave such a mediocre review of the 8x32 EL? That review was done in 2011. Have they made improvements in the meantime? Based on that review I wouldn't touch them.
That was the old 8x32 EL before the Swarovision. Swarovski totally redesigned them with field flatteners. Read the test on the Swarovision 8.5x42 SV. Allbino's has never retested the new 8x32 Swarovision's.

https://www.allbinos.com/allbinos_ranking-binoculars_ranking-8x42.html

OK I'm thinking and asking myself, "how can I tell if I'm going to really get some improvement over what I've got now"? I think the first and most important step I've already taken. I've ordered a Leica Ultravid 10x that will be here by the first of next week. I read some amazing reviews on this binocular. I'll put it head to head with my EII 10x35 and my Genesis 8x33. If I don't see a really significant benefit from spending four times the cost of the EII then I think I'm on a fool's errand and I'll just give up the chase. Tuck my tail in and go home. I'll return it and be content with my waterproof Kowa for the rainy days and just use 8x at those times.

So it's all on this Ultravid. If it's not a lot better than what I have then maybe any 32mm will never give the view that I got with the Zeiss 42mm SF and I'm chasing something that really doesn't exist in those size limits. I just can't carry a big ol 42 the way I use binoculars. I have to have something smaller and lighter. That's just how it is in my little world.

That was the old 8x32 EL before the Swarovision. Swarovski totally redesigned them with field flatteners. Read the test on the Swarovision 8.5x42 SV. Allbino's has never retested the new 8x32 Swarovision's.

https://www.allbinos.com/allbinos_ranking-binoculars_ranking-8x42.html

OK thanks Dennis you cheered me greatly. I think I'll just have to order one and see for myself as you wisely suggest. Right after I check out the Leica in a few days. Where are the best places to order these guys. Cameraland? I'd like to have 30 days to really decide.

BC,

For what you like to do, hiking all day and needing a light glass and providing premier optics; of the ones you have narrowed it down to, I would suggest the Zeiss FL T 8X32, you will not be disappointed.

Andy W.

looks like you picked one bin from each of the big 4....so I see no brand loyalty....now the question is do you get another from one of the big 4 or do you maintain your smorgasbord approach...if you decide to go with a 5th manufacture I would recommend Meopta Meostar or Minox HG or BL HD series.....

I like it's lightweight and nice FOV. I'm knocking the EDG out of the running due to weight and it being discontinued. So the lightest is still the Leica but I think I'd like one binocular with a decent eye relief just in case I live long enough to need glasses. So that brings us to the Swaro and the Zeiss. Both have 420 fov and that's a plus for me. Both are fairly light weight. I like that the Zeiss is shorter. How is the sharpness out to the edge on the Zeiss?

OK thanks Dennis you cheered me greatly. I think I'll just have to order one and see for myself as you wisely suggest. Right after I check out the Leica in a few days. Where are the best places to order these guys. Cameraland? I'd like to have 30 days to really decide.
Try Sport Optics. Ask them to check the focuser on the SV 8x32 for you before they ship and make sure it is smooth with no stiction. I don't know if the Leica Ultravid 10x32 is going to sway you over to alpha's or not. A 10x32 glass is hard to make and often times you are not going to get that WOW you get from an 8x42 even with an alpha. I think the 8x32 SV will WOW you though. Try the Zeiss 8x32 FL also if you can as dries1 suggested above. It is also excellent but it is not as sharp to the edge as the SV.

https://www.sportoptics.com/swarovski-el-swarovision-8x32-binoculars-32208.aspx

looks like you picked one bin from each of the big 4....so I see no brand loyalty....now the question is do you get another from one of the big 4 or do you maintain your smorgasbord approach...if you decide to go with a 5th manufacture I would recommend Meopta Meostar or Minox HG or BL HD series.....

Those are less expensive especially the Meostar. I honestly don't know much about the Minox. Do they really compete with what I have up there? Are you just trying to confuse a brain that can't handle more than three or four things at a time?

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back