• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Your Most Recent "Life" Bird (4 Viewers)

From a recent Georgia trip (5th-12th May), Caucasian Grouse, Caucasian Chiffchaff, Caucasian Snowcock, Saker & Demoiselle Crane. Particularly proud of the Snowcock photo. :king:

All the best

Paul

Attachments

• Caucasian Grouse.jpg
    Caucasian Grouse.jpg
    682.9 KB · Views: 98
  • Caucasian Chiffchaff.jpg
    Caucasian Chiffchaff.jpg
    467.4 KB · Views: 73
  • Caucasian Snowcock.jpg
    Caucasian Snowcock.jpg
    484.5 KB · Views: 87
  • Saker.jpg
    Saker.jpg
    313.4 KB · Views: 77
  • Demoiselle Crane.jpg
    Demoiselle Crane.jpg
    657.2 KB · Views: 73
And from a lot less exotic a perspective...red-legged partridge. Driving past a field somewhere in Cambridgeshire and out of the side of my eye caught something grouse-y moving. Stopped, poked camera out of window, got one shot, then another car came and I had to move. But I don't go out of my way to see birds, they're an incidental bonus on trips. So there are loads of common birds I've never seen.

Also saw common tern and pochard on a flooded marsh plain, only the second time I've seen them.

Attachments

• 27346488657_b7aed97398_c.jpg
    27346488657_b7aed97398_c.jpg
    529.3 KB · Views: 95
And that didn't last long as my most recent life bird - I got two this lunchtime in the local park! Chiffchaff and reed bunting. Within two minutes of each other.

Attachments

• 41513265764_d8f246a2e5_c.jpg
    41513265764_d8f246a2e5_c.jpg
    179.7 KB · Views: 84
  • 41333861535_a690fa62f6_c.jpg
    41333861535_a690fa62f6_c.jpg
    249.2 KB · Views: 62
2040. Red-necked Phalarope. 4 of them today on Öland, Sweden.

It was one of by biggest bogey birds having missed them on numerous occasions, the latest being on Sunday! It was also my biggest target according to Bubo. European Roller now takes that accolade.

Hudsonian godwit. I was listening to a podcast about godwits in Great Britain on my way home from a Mother's Day get together, which prompted me to go chase the pair of Hudsonians seen at a reservoir near me in Houston, Texas. Fortunately, I was successful and nabbed another lifer county bird in the lesser yellowlegs. Hopeful to get a few more coastal type birds like Magnificent Frigatebird before I move a bit inland in the next month or two.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Stock dove, near Caerlaverock Castle, Dumfries & Galloway, south-west Scotland.

No traffic so I could stop and check birds on wires as I was driving.

Attachments

• 40573264880_181f42f433_c.jpg
    40573264880_181f42f433_c.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 172
Thanks to Andy Adcock's ID, I can now add corn bunting. On a trip to Essex to take a look at castles and cathedrals.

Attachments

• 41692882844_650e15c60f_c.jpg
    41692882844_650e15c60f_c.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 58
Last weekend our local birding clubs annual trip to island of Ulko-Tammio (Hamina, FIN) succeeded beyond expectations, two lifers!

The weather was good and the sea calm as the mirror's surface. Totally we saw 92 species.

The first lifer, we were informed on the trip to island, that it was seen there on the previous weekend. And it still was there with about dozen of Eiders and Golden-eyes.
The second one was seen on trip back to Hamina and was totally surprise for everyone! B :)

Attachments

• kingeider.jpg
    kingeider.jpg
    260 KB · Views: 63
  • P1030612a.jpg
    P1030612a.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 62
  • a20180526_054553.jpg
    a20180526_054553.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 78
Moltoni's Warbler at Duncansby Head: fair exchange for dipping Walrus (well, perhaps not but I choose to look on the bright side). Pix in the UK rarities gallery.

John

Last weekend, after getting this far into the year with no lifers at all, I got the opportunity to pick off two at once with Flamborough having an adult male rose-coloured starling and a dotterel. And when I got there I checked their Twitter feed and found a report of Temmink's stint having turned up. Two of the three needed a bit of luck with timing, but three lifers secured and still time to get in a couple of hours at Bempton where I'd been intending to go.

Then, after the rare sight of Charlton winning something on the Sunday, aka the Womens Premier League playoff final, plans for Monday were thrown out of the window in favour of an RSPB reserve that was getting occasional Montagu's Harrier sightings and was sufficiently sure there was no breeding pair to be willing to put out news.

Attachments

• DeJ_tJDWkAAkV1L.jpg
    DeJ_tJDWkAAkV1L.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 56
  • DeMFJdBXcAA2fmT.jpg
    DeMFJdBXcAA2fmT.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 54
At last I saw one of my biggest bogey bird. And also my first Phalarope - Red-necked! B :) And this happens in Pyhtaa, South-East Finland. There was 7 females resting in the middle of the migration.

Attachments

• Red_necked Ph.jpg
    Red_necked Ph.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 56
American dipper, Barrow's goldeneye, then:
Brewer's Sparrow - Spizella breweri
Black-headed Grosbeak - Pheucticus melanocephalus
Cassin's Finch - Haemorhous cassinii

I have a poor sound recording of the Brewer's, a car goes by in the middle

Ignoring the Clevedon Pied Crow, my first ticks since Georgia following five days in Madiera were Zino's (two pics of different individuals) and Desertas Petrels, Madeiran Petrel and Trocaz Pigeon.

All the best

Paul

Attachments

• Reduced - Zino's Petrel 01.jpg
    Reduced - Zino's Petrel 01.jpg
    272.8 KB · Views: 145
  • Reduced - Zino's Petrel 02.jpg
    Reduced - Zino's Petrel 02.jpg
    180.7 KB · Views: 152
  • Reduced - Desertas Petrel 001.jpg
    Reduced - Desertas Petrel 001.jpg
    329.5 KB · Views: 33
  • Reduced - Madeiran Firecrest 001.jpg
    Reduced - Madeiran Firecrest 001.jpg
    460.2 KB · Views: 37
  • Reduced - Trocaz Pigeon 001.jpg
    Reduced - Trocaz Pigeon 001.jpg
    648.3 KB · Views: 130
I keep forgetting to celebrate on here....

Moltoni's Warbler (Duncansby Head) and American Royal Tern (Pagham Harbour) yaay!

(Marion saw both and as usual says "I'm not bovvered....")

John

The small matter of 155 lifers on my April visit to New York and Argentina. As it was my first visit it was hardly surprising that a full 150 of those were in Argentina!

Of these the first and one of the most memorable was an American Bittern in a bare tree in Central Park, and the last was a Rufescent Tiger Bittern in a fully-leaved tree at Costanera Sur nature reserve in Buenos Aires.

Other highlights included a dozen species of hummingbird, Andean Condor, Torrent Duck, Lesser Rhea and the amazingly wonderful Toco Toucan.

Lots more details and pix in my trip report here:

https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=359505

Cheers
Mike

Just got back from a trip to Abra Patricia, Peru. Last lifer of 93 was Musician Wren, but the best (most unexpected) bird was Maroon-chested Ground-dove, which was a bird that neither guide had ever seen other than in flight.

Also got the Marvelous Spatuletail (displaying!) and Long-whiskered Owlet.

One of those odd coincidences last Thursday. The bird in Radio 4's Tweet of the Day, which I heard while driving to the south coast of the UK, was the Sandwich tern. Which I had never seen.

Until I went on the Isle of Wight ferry that evening.

I heard its scream first, I doubt I would have noticed it otherwise as there was a plethora of black-headed gulls and a gannet.

Attachments

• 42757803954_a097586ca0_c.jpg
    42757803954_a097586ca0_c.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 43

Users who are viewing this thread

Back