• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

From the sketchbook... (3 Viewers)

Wow! Your sketches are so detailed! Are these all done in the field straight from seeing the bird? I cannot believe how you are able to remember and capture so many details of plumage and lighting with a moving bird! Absolutely amazing! I truly am jealous of your talent!:t:

Okay, think this may well be done...been a bit of a labour of love this one, a lot of hours gone into this largish canvas.

Think I should sign it now and let it stand as it is, terrified of overpainting this one and ruining it. My main worry at one point was that the Tuftie furthest to the left didn't quite belong, but that passed and now I'm happy I included it. Generally don't like painting an even number of birds in small group scenes, always find an odd number of subjects easier to balance.
Had been tempted to go back in and work on the water surface some more, adding some darker tones, but my concern is that it would overcomplicate the scene, take away from the birds and generally muddy the whole thing up. As it stands it represents things pretty well as they appeared in bright, overcast light and for once it is not far from what I had in mind from the start.

Many thanks to all here for the comments and encouragment posted here while this was in progress.

Flash photo here, will wait for natural light to photo the canvas before posting to the gallery over the next day or two.

Attachments

• common painting.jpg
    common painting.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 108
Last edited:
Beautiful, just right, splendid, lovely, lovely painting.
Love it.
Love it.
(there's 5 birds - thats an odd number ;)
Love it.

Ah yes, but it wouldn't of been the same with just four;)

Glad you like it...

All those hours watching Sesame Street as a child have finally come to fruition....

What I like about this is that it sticks two fingers up at what we were taught in art class at school, it's a mess, and it's brilliant, the birds are everywhere, where they should be and doing their thing where they want to do it. And what's more, it works, better than what we were told should work! Because it's true. Love it! Keep them coming, looking forward to seeing plenty more colourwork as the Swedish winter draws in.

What I like about this is that it sticks two fingers up at what we were taught in art class at school, it's a mess, and it's brilliant, the birds are everywhere, where they should be and doing their thing where they want to do it. And what's more, it works, better than what we were told should work! Because it's true. Love it! Keep them coming, looking forward to seeing plenty more colourwork as the Swedish winter draws in.

Amen to that!

S'brilliant this, all life and hustle bustle, heaps of atmosphere too.

Woody

Some Greylag Sketches. Geese are not a group I have spent any time on with regard to sketching, though lots of both Greylags and Barnacles around Stockholm. These at Skeppsholmen, right in the city. Huge feral populations of both breeding freely for years and years now in Sweden, somehow still don't feel like real wild birds...
Nevertheless Barnacles are lovely birds and thinking of doing something on them...

Attachments

• g1.jpg
    g1.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 85
  • g2.jpg
    g2.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 95
Just back from a weekend visit to my parents to Ireland. Took the oppurtunity to photograph some of the old paintings now on their walls, all oldies from 1992 to 1996. some water colurs, one huge Short Eared Owl Acrylic(my first), and some experimental ink drawings on acetate, back painted, while I was in animation and had access to the plastic based paint needed for these....

Attachments

• Common T watercolour.jpg
    Common T watercolour.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 94
  • Common Tern.jpg
    Common Tern.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 84
  • Dotterel.jpg
    Dotterel.jpg
    163 KB · Views: 104
  • Garganey.jpg
    Garganey.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 103
  • Raddes Warbler.jpg
    Raddes Warbler.jpg
    234.9 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:
And some more...

Attachments

• Razorbills.jpg
    Razorbills.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 96
  • Red Necked Grebe.jpg
    Red Necked Grebe.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 100
  • Sandwich Tern.jpg
    Sandwich Tern.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 106
  • Shelducks.jpg
    Shelducks.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 100
  • Short eared Owl.jpg
    Short eared Owl.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 107
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back