• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Regarding Nikon Se (1 Viewer)

Nikon serial numbers follow no logical numbering system. Be warned if you are trying to date them this way.

Simon:
You are correct, as earlier models began with 504xxx, and other
combinations.

Recently they do, they have had the 550xxx shipping since 2009,
or maybe earlier. I have or have owned 3, 550's and can follow the
dates.

If they do a full run of 1,000 now it seems they start with 551xxx.

Jerry

Mine is 550802, received last August from Nikon Warranty.

There was a long thread at the time on correlating numbering with build sequence. All we concluded was that, apart from a sheet of stickers which could be applied in any sequence, and a pile of modular components, which could have been built long before, all theories as to dating are pure conjecture.

The existence of a 551xxx does suggest, at the very minimum, another sequence of stickers but doesn't necessarily imply a new build cycle. But perhaps the sky isn't falling, yet.

David

Mine is 550802, received last August from Nikon Warranty.

There was a long thread at the time on correlating numbering with build sequence. All we concluded was that, apart from a sheet of stickers which could be applied in any sequence, and a pile of modular components, which could have been built long before, all theories as to dating are pure conjecture.

The existence of a 551xxx does suggest, at the very minimum, another sequence of stickers but doesn't necessarily imply a new build cycle. But perhaps the sky isn't falling, yet.
David

David:

Do the math, what comes after 550 ?

Bingo, it is 551. Yes, another set of ser. numbers, and production continues.

Is that hard to understand? Don't be troubled, be happy.

Jerry

Give it a rest. SE's are probably sitting in a warehouse collecting dust. Clearly, North America sales have been extremely dismal for many years...no one has carried it as a regularly stocked item for a long time.

My bet is they still sell a few outside the US and that a handful are shipped our way when a BF reader asks for one. Most people can't tell you a thing about an SE. Trust me, expensive porros are dead.

Long live the SE!

Give it a rest. SE's are probably sitting in a warehouse collecting dust. Clearly, North America sales have been extremely dismal for many years...no one has carried it as a regularly stocked item for a long time.

My bet is they still sell a few outside the US and that a handful are shipped our way when a BF reader asks for one. Most people can't tell you a thing about an SE. Trust me, expensive porros are dead.

Long live the SE!

In my case everything I've thrown at the SE has utterly failed to kill them, most recently some SLC HD's. In fact not only have they not died but the sale from the SLC is about to give birth to a second pair of SE's! ( due Wednesday) ( 550's to accompany my 505's if that's of any relevance) oh and a pair of EII 8x30's arrived yesterday too! and thanks to the SLC's I still have money left over for some cheap chinese waterproofs :) Will be very interesting to finally see if there is any truth in the 550 is best theory....

In my case everything I've thrown at the SE has utterly failed to kill them, most recently some SLC HD's. In fact not only have they not died but the sale from the SLC is about to give birth to a second pair of SE's! ( due Wednesday) ( 550's to accompany my 505's if that's of any relevance) oh and a pair of EII 8x30's arrived yesterday too! and thanks to the SLC's I still have money left over for some cheap chinese waterproofs :) Will be very interesting to finally see if there is any truth in the 550 is best theory....

I`m a bit jealous, let us know your ranking r.e. SE EII.

I`m a bit jealous, let us know your ranking r.e. SE EII.

I much prefer the EII to the SE. The W-I-D-E FOV of the EII is positively addictive. While the SE is undeniably a landmark binocular, it's relatively narrow FOV have been a dealbreaker for me. That said, the SE does offer a technically superb view, it is justifiably considered to be the most highly refined center focusing porro prism binocular ever made. That being said, seeing the world through an 8x30 EII for the first time is a jaw dropping experience for FOV afficianados - exceeded (slightly) only by the Zeiss 7x42 B/GAT and FL - in my opinion. By contrast, the SE doesn't elicit a sense of awe, but rather of supreme competence. While the scientist will prefer the SE, the artist will prefer the EII.

Last edited:
I much prefer the EII to the SE. The W-I-D-E FOV of the EII is positively addictive. While the SE is undeniably a landmark binocular, it's relatively narrow FOV have been a dealbreaker for me. That said, the SE does offer a technically superb view, it is justifiably considered to be the most highly refined center focusing porro prism binocular ever made. That being said, seeing the world through an 8x30 EII for the first time is a jaw dropping experience for FOV afficianados - exceeded (slightly) only by the Zeiss 7x42 B/GAT and FL - in my opinion. By contrast, the SE doesn't elicit a sense of awe, but rather of supreme competence. While the scientist will prefer the SE, the artist will prefer the EII.

I have the 3 binoculars you mentioned and I agree with you for essentially the same reasons.

Bob

You will find that the SE 8x32 will take much more physical abuse and stay in collimation better than the 8x30 EII.

I would tend to agree, if you plan on physically abusing your binoculars, the SE may be the better choice (unless the abuse includes submersion in water, in which case neither will survive unscathed). On the other hand, if you plan on simply looking through them...

I find the EII less to my liking ergonomically, there`s nowhere to rest one`s pinkie`s as there is on the SE with the protruding objectives.

The Nikon 10x35 E also makes a good birding binocular offering slightly more magnitude and similar brightness. Its worth remembering Nikon do other Porros apart from the aforementioned.

The Nikon 10x35 E also makes a good birding binocular offering slightly more magnitude and similar brightness. Its worth remembering Nikon do other Porros apart from the aforementioned.

Point well taken, Simon. Which Nikon porros do you think are worthy of consideration? I have always assumed that after the SE and EII, there is a fairly steep drop-off in image quality.

I find the EII less to my liking ergonomically, there`s nowhere to rest one`s pinkie`s as there is on the SE with the protruding objectives.

Get a pair of Bushwacker No. 5 extension-thingies. Cut off the flip-covers. They fit perfectly over the objective barrels, and extend them by about 1.5 cm, providing added protection for the lenses and a landing-strip for your pinky.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back