• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Another Binocular recommendation (1 Viewer)

balou

Hi Folks

I currently have a viking av80ed scope and was possibly wanting to replace it with a good pair of binoculars as it can get a bit cumbersome with the tripod trying to clamber over coastal routes. i have a budget of around £300 and not duly concerned about weight,but would like them to possibly be waterproof and rubber coated or something that can bounce well, all advice greatly appreciated

balou

Hi Folks

I currently have a viking av80ed scope and was possibly wanting to replace it with a good pair of binoculars as it can get a bit cumbersome with the tripod trying to clamber over coastal routes. i have a budget of around £300 and not duly concerned about weight,but would like them to possibly be waterproof and rubber coated or something that can bounce well, all advice greatly appreciated

balou

I got a pair of Nikon Prostaff 7 [10x42] for £200 from Wilkinsons in Kendal.There was an initial focussing problem but Wilkinsons sorted it out promptly by returning them to Nikon.
I have used them extensively since,for 2 years, and they are wonderful.
Not sure if there are any floating around now but I can recommend them[I have a Nikon scope too which is brilliant-]

Last edited:
You might simply start a new thread in the binocular forum:

http://www.birdforum.net/forumdisplay.php?f=112

(Perhaps referring back to this thread.)

You'll find there are a bewildering variety of binoculars out there, and a similarly bewildering variety of opinions about them. I would suggest:
  • Set yourself a budget and try to stick to it (it is all too easy to talk yourself into something perhaps more expensive than you need or even can afford).
  • Do your research. You might start here, and here, and here, as well as reading the very informative threads in the binoculars forum and sub-forums.
  • If at all possible, hold and look through a variety of binoculars to help determine what works best for you.
Good luck with your search! I followed most of the advice above in my search and I've been happy with my result.

...Mike

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back