• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird ID from Skye (1 Viewer)

owdjockey

Hi I came across this bird at Geary on the Waternish peninsular in Skye last week. The size of the bird is similar to a Blackbird, but what struck me was the colour of body, is was PINK, which does not show up so well in this photo. Thanks

Attachments

• 1gear.jpg
    1gear.jpg
    233 KB · Views: 157
I have reported this for you, you may be contacted through this forum by the recorder for the Isle of Skye.

Last edited:
Wow, I feel really priviliged to have seen this bird. I had never even heard of a Rosy Starling before, but when I first spotted it the pink(Rosy) body colour immediately drew my attention. I just wish I had taken more and better photos to share with you.

I did a quick search and found the bird was spotted in Ipswich last year and drew quite abit of attention

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-40149452

Hi owdjockey and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

The only one I've seen was nearly 20 years ago on the island of Fetlar in the Shetlands. Deserted my breakfast when the landlord came in to tell us LOL!!! You got a better picture than I did!

Hi Delia, you might like to know that I am currently walking around the coastline of Great Britain in stages ( 3 or 4 days at a time). I have walked from Poole in Dorset through the South West, Wales, NW England and the West Coast of Scotland and completed the walk around Skye yesterday on my clockwise journey. Hope to reach Cape Wrath by Christmas.

My blog is https://walkingthecoastofgreatbritain.com/

BTW went to Fetlar in 2013, not for bird watching, just to ascend Vord Hill.

I attach the raw(1600 x 1200) photo of the Rosy Starling. The original is 4000x3000

Attachments

• 1rosy.jpg
    1rosy.jpg
    618.4 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
Is this what you term beginners luck fantastic bird owdjockey and especially the chances of seeing the bird not knowing it was there it is that kind of experience that gives me a adrenaline rush yes its a wonderful feeling you,ll be wanting it more often now.. all the best Coal Tit.

Hi Delia, you might like to know that I am currently walking around the coastline of Great Britain in stages ( 3 or 4 days at a time). I have walked from Poole in Dorset through the South West, Wales, NW England and the West Coast of Scotland and completed the walk around Skye yesterday on my clockwise journey. Hope to reach Cape Wrath by Christmas.

My blog is https://walkingthecoastofgreatbritain.com/

BTW went to Fetlar in 2013, not for bird watching, just to ascend Vord Hill.

I attach the raw(1600 x 1200) photo of the Rosy Starling. The original is 4000x3000

Hummmph.... sick with jealousy! Not able to do the long walks any more, sadly.

BTW are/were you a horse rider?

Hi Delia, sorry no association with horse riding. I was born in Wellington (now Telford) Shropshire. A Jockey was a local name for a lad/boy and over the years I have become 'owd'. |=)||=)|

Och well.... no worries - thought we could talk horses LOL

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back